Elusive hydraulic oil leak....!

Muckster

Muckster

Member
So, somewhere around the valve block on my Daewoo 170 is a leak. (Maybe more than one!)

it’s not pouring out, and it sure isn’t obvious. But it’s needing topped up way to regularly😣
I’ve looked for it while machine being operated but I cannot for the life of me locate the bloody thing.
Today there was a pool of oil underneath, that’s between 5pm yesterday and 2pm today.

Any hints or tips from you fellas?? It’s on hire and won’t be back at yard any time soon.

Cheer
 
S

Smiffy

Well-known member
So, somewhere around the valve block on my Daewoo 170 is a leak. (Maybe more than one!)

it’s not pouring out, and it sure isn’t obvious. But it’s needing topped up way to regularly😣
I’ve looked for it while machine being operated but I cannot for the life of me locate the bloody thing.
Today there was a pool of oil underneath, that’s between 5pm yesterday and 2pm today.

Any hints or tips from you fellas?? It’s on hire and won’t be back at yard any time soon.

Cheer

If it's difficult to see Lidl has inspection cameras in at the moment that might might help
 
Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Well-known member
Usually a bloody good hot pressure was off and then have a good look round when it’s all dry, start it up and hope to see the source.
but that doesn’t sound like and option for you at the moment?

Sure I’ve read somewhere about some fluorescent die, or maybe it was uv die? That you put in the hydraulic oil so leaks are easier to trace, but no idea where you’d get it from as I’ve no experience of it.

Does it have SAE flange fittings on the hoses? As it might just be an O ring? Have you tried operating every service individually to see if it shows up?
 
Bri963

Bri963

Well-known member
Fluorescent dye, and you need a UV light to see it. Mostly a good pressure wash and a wipe down is all you need to do.
 
Muckster

Muckster

Member
Usually a bloody good hot pressure was off and then have a good look round when it’s all dry, start it up and hope to see the source.
but that doesn’t sound like and option for you at the moment?

Sure I’ve read somewhere about some fluorescent die, or maybe it was uv die? That you put in the hydraulic oil so leaks are easier to trace, but no idea where you’d get it from as I’ve no experience of it.

Does it have SAE flange fittings on the hoses? As it might just be an O ring? Have you tried operating every service individually to see if it shows up?

Yes quite a few SAE fittings!
I’ll take the tow along pressure washer in next week and give it a right good clean off. And start from there.

yes, have tried individual services too, I think there’s just too much saturation to pin point it!

👍
 
craig

craig

Well-known member
Get a degreaser, like jizer or similar and a squirty bottle or pump and give it a good spraying before wetting it, especially if your tow along washer is cold water.
 
Muckster

Muckster

Member
Fluorescent dye, and you need a UV light to see it. Mostly a good pressure wash and a wipe down is all you need to do.
Get a degreaser, like jizer or similar and a squirty bottle or pump and give it a good spraying before wetting it, especially if your tow along washer is cold water.

Yip cold water. I’ll try that! 👍
 
Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
We had a leak today also but had no problem finding it, 3/4” pipe blew about a meter away from the main pump on our kalmar forklift, Oil Everywhere 😖 and it was an awkward as f pipe to get out, run up through the chassis tube to the spool valve and had big F off fittings on the end on the hose to make it especially hard to swap out. Decided it was a good opertunity to change the oil as there was next to nothing left in the tank, washed with diesel and cleaned out and filled her up With fresh. Not what I was expecting to be doing for 4 hours today but those are the joys ☺️
 
GazCro

GazCro

Well-known member
Clean it dry it and if its a very slight leak talcum powder or even flour might help.
 
Top