Druidic Dabblings and General Twaddle !!

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I'd say more likely getting firewood ringed up
from 22.00 to well beyond 01.30 in the wee hours ... yeh right
now't yesterday, back at lopping it up this morning .. no traccy engine noise just a solitary 'Charlie'
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
not put a lot up lately ... been a tad distracted
had some lovely sunsets earlier in the month
WP_20260905_20_02_33_Pro.jpgWP_20260905_20_02_28_Pro.jpg
and as usual after a bit of dampness the grass has been growing at an exponential rate -- 'least some of it had
WP_20260908_16_24_27_Pro.jpg

the lawn took a while longer and a lot more wet stuff
WP_20260908_17_52_04_Pro.jpg

but it all got a massacring this morning - looking a bit better, but still quite a few brown patches - gonna be a while 'fore it fully recovers
washed all the motors a week or so ago .. ready for MOTs ...View attachment 85158

WP_20260911_17_51_42_Pro.jpg

Kia walked it - as expected - aside from two fronts being down almost to the wear bars - two new Continentals ordered last week, but only turned up yesterday - £162 ea. but these have done 16.5k, so if i get the same out of these, I'll be happy - circa another 3-4k left on the backs yet, so not complaining. Golf went off for a ticket this evening with a mate too :giggle:
had to remake a 'pallet' that Pam's been using as 'staging' in the polytunnel for the last few years - dunno why this one was so bad - other 4 are fine
WP_20260912_15_16_52_Pro.jpg
WP_20260912_15_17_01_Pro.jpg

Harper turned 5 on the 11th ... and has started school - WTF did that go??????
WP_20260913_16_04_58_Pro.jpg
WP_20260913_18_57_49_Pro.jpg

had 3 G/kids' birthdays in September so we rented an air B&B in Weston for the weekend last w/end (half way between us and Plymouth) and had a 'get together'
nigh on 50 years since I was last in Weston, in '77 :oops: - 's changed a bit :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.. nice Victorian house with some lovely features .. this one impressed me though - beautiful stone work - I'm stood looking at one wall saturday evening, having a fag :giggle: thinking trhat looks a bit odd, until I realised it'd been deliberately 'bellied' to cope with a window :oops:
WP_20260919_19_16_31_Pro.jpg
WP_20260919_19_16_17_Pro.jpg

some skilled work went into these old places
Harper and Niniva having some 'ups and downs' on the Sunday last
WP_20260920_15_34_09_Pro.jpg

clever design on the seesaw
my extra security in place for a week end away :giggle::giggle:
WP_20260921_16_23_52_Pro.jpg
 
Last edited:
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Got in the 'Drema to move some tish about for a.n.other tidy up yesterday - turned the key and Nada .. didn't even try :unsure::unsure: Hmmmm
got the meter out and checked the batteries - 12.9 on one - 7.2 on t'other :( ... TBF they've done rather well - 12 years to the day almost -- amazingly tayna had none listed, rang them and nope - none in stock - could do Varta 663s - " no thanks - not a lover of Varta - of late - had now't but issues - dying just out of warranty " :mad:
WP_20260922_14_00_46_Pro.jpg

seeing as Joe's offerings have been soooooo good I found a new pair elsewhere - be here tomorrow - 220 quid - if they last as well I might not be around to change the next pair :oops::unsure:
any way - jumped the 'duffer' and got into shifting some pallets only to find her down on one corner - admittedly t had some weight on it but ... so spent an hour going round them all - utter bar stewards to get onto
WP_20260922_14_58_33_Pro.jpg

and had to take out the valves on the extensions to get any flow into the round black things - slow old job getting up to 7 bar with me 14cfm 'pressor, but got there in the end ... 's why it took me an hour to get around all 8 wheels

tel. call from Vicki yesterday evening .. " my mate Paul is coming tomorrow, to start on replacing my fence and'll be lopping the hedge - any chance of you 'disposing' of it ? " :oops::rolleyes:
so -after I'd mowed all the green stuff this morning, stuck the 10 x 5 on the Kia and shot into town ... jeez, there was a lot of it - got as much as Paul'd lopped in and shot back home
WP_20260923_17_40_04_Pro.jpg

dropped the trailer and shot off to me mate's in Beaufort to get the fronts re-shod on't car, then bring him back with me to collect said Golf for its ticket tomorrow (or whenever he has the time to sort it - not gonna tax it 'til next month)
then set about disposing of yon hedge, sat in the trailer ... nice S westerly breeze when i got it going, damn me if it didn't reverse itself after about 20 minutes :(:mad:
007's DB5 would've been proud of the smoke screen :mad: and I got kippered
had had a t*tsfull by 21.00 and called it a day - reckon I've dealt with 50% of it and have quite a significant binful of charcoal
WP_20260923_20_50_15_Pro.jpg

piccy 'specially for @Stock
'sposed to be a good S Westerly all day tomorrow, to deal with the rest of it - 'fore grabbing a.n.other trailer load :(:(
's been a very busy day :rolleyes:
 
Last edited:
J

Jimoz

Well-known member
My grandad from late 60s onward anytime we did a job round his house would say "this will see me out". Some did some didnt. 84 he made it too. Got a load of stuff to burn up the plot myself gonna wait till bonfire night to keep the neighbours happy. Got some conifers we ripped out 6 months or more ago. @doobin be making me do a hedgehog welfare check.
 
Stock

Stock

Well-known member
Much appreciated Druid, ........................................................................................................................................
 
Gecko

Gecko

Well-known member
...got the meter out and checked the batteries ...
On the subject of batteries, I've just noticed Sodium-Ion batteries a finally available retail. It's early days, so price / performance haven't settled, but they look very interesting.
Short version - Sodium is lower (60~80%) storage capacity than either Lead or Lithium, but higher (150%) CCA and 2~3x expected life span. Added bonus, they don't burn like lithium, don't rely on rare earth metals.
Basically, they look ideal for a start battery (or a house battery), but not for a long-range EV.

I almost bought my first, but some basic diagnostics showed my flat battery was not a battery failure, but an alternator failure (Joseph Lucas - Prince of Darkness).
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
well they arrived Thursday - handy little pallet too :giggle:
WP_20260924_09_48_09_Pro.jpg
WP_20260924_13_26_08_Pro.jpg

didn't get them on 'til yesterday though, due to 'round 2'
WP_20260924_18_32_29_Pro.jpg
of the hedge project
WP_20260924_18_38_58_Pro.jpg
which was rapidly becoming tedious
WP_20260924_19_18_10_Pro.jpg

had I realised there would be so much of it I'd've hired/borrowed/blagged a decent chipper -- still have 'round three' to go yet - hopefully no 'round four'
nice sky the other night - boded well for the following day
WP_20260925_18_59_02_Pro.jpg
WP_20260925_18_58_42_Pro.jpg

pix do not do it justice - was orange in some order
the final remnants of 'round two
WP_20260926_12_44_53_Pro.jpg

bin so full had to put some extra air holes in it as it would not burn without a blower forcing air into the combustion
WP_20260926_14_22_02_Pro.jpg

would've done some more but me 28mm Starret hole saw disappeared into the inferno when the chuck let go :oops::cry::mad: not happy
the last of the last of it
WP_20260926_15_57_42_Pro.jpg

am I glad to see the back of it all - 's gonna take days 'fore all this'll be burnt to powder ash
WP_20260926_18_44_53_Pro.jpg


meanwhile team mouser has been hard at work -- he must've learnt from Squeak, who was spark our on my legs, whilst Pam stuck the regular canular in me arm and let the hamster Juice drip in this morning
WP_20260927_14_08_26_Pro.jpg

what a life ... but it is a tad wet out this morning :(:(
 
J

Jimoz

Well-known member
Jesus I bet the neighbours love you and that bonny! Mind looks pretty spacious out your neck of the woods, just wait till the winds going the right way I spose. You not fancy waiting until they'd brownd up? I know the conifers seem to burn regardless.
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Jesus I bet the neighbours love you and that bonny! Mind looks pretty spacious out your neck of the woods, just wait till the winds going the right way I spose. You not fancy waiting until they'd brownd up? I know the conifers seem to burn regardless.
south westerly is my friend Jim - nearest neighbour's a good mile plus away in that direction
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
bloody pheasants have had the new polytunnel cover - gonna have to start shooting a few
WP_20260929_15_39_14_Pro.jpg

this is how Viki's hedge departed Chez Druid earlier this week .. two good trailer loads in those two bags :giggle::giggle:
WP_20261001_13_13_06_Pro.jpg

massacred all the green stuff couple of days ago with a 'nap of the earth' cut - produced a fair collector full X 2 :rolleyes:
WP_20261002_17_08_39_Pro.jpg
WP_20261002_17_09_10_Pro.jpg

should n't need another go for a week or two (fortunately as it turned out):rolleyes::(
just finished doing the turning area and passing places on the main drive with the Dane and ....
WP_20261002_18_06_12_Pro.jpg

she had a wobbly and chucked the blade drive belt :( -- was teatime so left it for a n other day -- plus she was very hot to go faffing about with
belt looked ok, but should have a new one here somewhere
yesterday morning was the last weekend of the 'gate sales' at Allensmore Nurseries who grow for all the chain stores and flog their end of season plants off for pennies - so a hit was in order .. had a good haul for 60 quid and could easily have added anther 20 plants to round it up to 100 but .....
WP_20261003_13_06_15_Pro.jpg

would've struggled to load any more - back seats covered and loaded too
WP_20261003_13_45_54_Pro.jpg

then it was a case of ... "can you just" - so the Lumag came out from under the bench -easier than a spade (y)
WP_20261003_15_17_42_Pro.jpg

'til it started being cantankerous on the start front - God knows why .. has been an awesome starter since I got it
so -- carb off, strip, clean, plenty of carb cleaner, all seemed in order and pristine - odd slide in it as in it rotates to open the port, rather than lift
WP_20261003_16_30_49_Pro.jpg

got it all back together and dropped it on the floor on me rubber mat, as it's an awkward pull, with out an auger on it, on the bench ... and that's when the day went south
gave it a gert handfull of pull and .... smacked the **** out of my hand on the edge of the bench ... ferk that hurt .. looked at it and realised I'd more than just banged it due to the amount of red stuff leaking out 😮, so 'applied pressure' with the left and legged it down the house for some 'repair materials' :giggle: .. always have plenty of gauzes, etc., from treatment supplies
used up several pads trying to stop it, which we eventually managed and strapped a few on to me danny and kept pressure on it
WP_20261003_21_01_32_Pro.jpg

tea was almost ready and I was hungry so went and tidied up and locked everything ... had tea and then thought we'd better have another eyeball of it as it was still 'leaking' ... and made the decision to head for .... you guessed it --- Hereford's A&E as it wasn't stopping leaking
there by half seven and booked in " You haven't got pancreatitis again have you ? "
" LOL - nah - damaged danny this time - thankfully "
" take a seat and someone'll have a look at it for you "
hour an a half later and I'd not even been triaged ... about to wander out for a fag and I get called
nurse asks what the problem is and asks to take a look - peels our dressing off - the wrong way, 'fore I can stop her, opened it up wide and there's red stuff everywhere - the look on her face was a picture ---- " er - I'll just go get some one to take a look at this, just keep your dressing firmly pressed on it please "
Triage went from 'having a butcher's' to getting dealt with in a couple of minutes :giggle:
duty surgeon appears round the curtain and asks me if I have any other ongoing issues/problems and after about 5 minutes of listening to 'the Gaucher's story' and the likelihood of haemophilia as an ongoing issue with it, he's ready for a butchers ... arm on what looked like a 'puppy pad' and lifts our dressing, which'd stuck again and there's a very red puppy pad .. " you did very well to stem the flow with your dressing Graham - ordinarily we'd patch you up and sit you back out in the queue, but this needs sorting now - right now! When was the last time you had a tetanus jab? "
" 55 years ago, when I was 14 and old enough to make up my own mind about it "
" so I take it you don't want one now? "
" correct -- I'll take my chances thanks "
" OK - your choice, we'll get started .. do you want some Lidocaine - I'm going to have to stitch this, .. after I stitch the blood vessels to re-join the ends of them "
" done a proper job then have I --- charge on ?
after the first few squirts, I didn't feel the rest of the 20ml going in, but jeez the first bit stung :oops: ... couple of stitches in the two severed blood vessels and then was on to the 'main event' --God knows how he could see what he was doing - I was struggling, but after half a dozen stitches he'd gotten the red stuff under control ... all fingers were working so no tendon damage(y)
WP_20261003_21_07_33_Pro.jpg

all in all I got off light, considering I'd hammered my hand into bench edge at full pull 'start force' and stroke
just about stopped it leaking and told the nurse to apply a 'pressure dressing' for the last of it - had quite a 'paw' by the time she'd finished .
WP_20261003_22_49_52_Pro.jpg

knuckles were starting to swell and by this morning the right mitt was quite a size . we were real 'lucky' to get sorted in about two hours .. waiting time last night was 6 hrs :( --reception told us when we arrived we'd just missed the minor injuries clinic, which deals with this sort of thing and the guy who repaired me said I'd just caught him at the end of his 12hr shift :cool:
's gonna take a while 'fore I can use this again - 10 - 14 days for the stitches out and then look after it for a few more weeks .. don't strain it/stretch it too hard :rolleyes:
didn't get a lot of kip last night after the pain killer wore off and a gramme of paracetamol 4 hourly, didn't have a lot of effect ... had me up at 04.00 for some more
Might get a tramadol cocktail tonight, so's I can get some decent zeds as it's worse today, up like a balloon, have had to redo the dressing as it'd gotten too tight (still leaking) and I am knackered :rolleyes:
Have had Vicki and the girls here since lunchtime and Vicki cooked us a beautiful roast chicken dinner .. not long left so yon paw has had a busy afternoon, instead of just resting it, elevated
 
M

Monkeybusiness

Well-known member
bloody pheasants have had the new polytunnel cover - gonna have to start shooting a few
View attachment 85475
this is how Viki's hedge departed Chez Druid earlier this week .. two good trailer loads in those two bags :giggle::giggle: View attachment 85474
massacred all the green stuff couple of days ago with a 'nap of the earth' cut - produced a fair collector full X 2 :rolleyes:View attachment 85473View attachment 85472
should n't need another go for a week or two (fortunately as it turned out):rolleyes::(
just finished doing the turning area and passing places on the main drive with the Dane and ....
View attachment 85484
she had a wobbly and chucked the blade drive belt :( -- was teatime so left it for a n other day -- plus she was very hot to go faffing about with
belt looked ok, but should have a new one here somewhere
yesterday morning was the last weekend of the 'gate sales' at Allensmore Nurseries who grow for all the chain stores and flog their end of season plants off for pennies - so a hit was in order .. had a good haul for 60 quid and could easily have added anther 20 plants to round it up to 100 but .....
View attachment 85479
would've struggled to load any more - back seats covered and loaded too View attachment 85478
then it was a case of ... "can you just" - so the Lumag came out from under the bench -easier than a spade (y)
View attachment 85477
'til it started being cantankerous on the start front - God knows why .. has been an awesome starter since I got it
so -- carb off, strip, clean, plenty of carb cleaner, all seemed in order and pristine - odd slide in it as in it rotates to open the port, rather than liftView attachment 85476
got it all back together and dropped it on the floor on me rubber mat, as it's an awkward pull, with out an auger on it, on the bench ... and that's when the day went south
gave it a gert handfull of pull and .... smacked the **** out of my hand on the edge of the bench ... ferk that hurt .. looked at it and realised I'd more than just banged it due to the amount of red stuff leaking out 😮, so 'applied pressure' with the left and legged it down the house for some 'repair materials' :giggle: .. always have plenty of gauzes, etc., from treatment supplies
used up several pads trying to stop it, which we eventually managed and strapped a few on to me danny and kept pressure on it
View attachment 85483
tea was almost ready and I was hungry so went and tidied up and locked everything ... had tea and then thought we'd better have another eyeball of it as it was still 'leaking' ... and made the decision to head for .... you guessed it --- Hereford's A&E as it wasn't stopping leaking
there by half seven and booked in " You haven't got pancreatitis again have you ? "
" LOL - nah - damaged danny this time - thankfully "
" take a seat and someone'll have a look at it for you "
hour an a half later and I'd not even been triaged ... about to wander out for a fag and I get called
nurse asks what the problem is and asks to take a look - peels our dressing off - the wrong way, 'fore I can stop her, opened it up wide and there's red stuff everywhere - the look on her face was a picture ---- " er - I'll just go get some one to take a look at this, just keep your dressing firmly pressed on it please "
Triage went from 'having a butcher's' to getting dealt with in a couple of minutes :giggle:
duty surgeon appears round the curtain and asks me if I have any other ongoing issues/problems and after about 5 minutes of listening to 'the Gaucher's story' and the likelihood of haemophilia as an ongoing issue with it, he's ready for a butchers ... arm on what looked like a 'puppy pad' and lifts our dressing, which'd stuck again and there's a very red puppy pad .. " you did very well to stem the flow with your dressing Graham - ordinarily we'd patch you up and sit you back out in the queue, but this needs sorting now - right now! When was the last time you had a tetanus jab? "
" 55 years ago, when I was 14 and old enough to make up my own mind about it "
" so I take it you don't want one now? "
" correct -- I'll take my chances thanks "
" OK - your choice, we'll get started .. do you want some Lidocaine - I'm going to have to stitch this, .. after I stitch the blood vessels to re-join the ends of them "
" done a proper job then have I --- charge on ?
after the first few squirts, I didn't feel the rest of the 20ml going in, but jeez the first bit stung :oops: ... couple of stitches in the two severed blood vessels and then was on to the 'main event' --God knows how he could see what he was doing - I was struggling, but after half a dozen stitches he'd gotten the red stuff under control ... all fingers were working so no tendon damage(y)
View attachment 85495
all in all I got off light, considering I'd hammered my hand into bench edge at full pull 'start force' and stroke
just about stopped it leaking and told the nurse to apply a 'pressure dressing' for the last of it - had quite a 'paw' by the time she'd finished .View attachment 85481
knuckles were starting to swell and by this morning the right mitt was quite a size . we were real 'lucky' to get sorted in about two hours .. waiting time last night was 6 hrs :( --reception told us when we arrived we'd just missed the minor injuries clinic, which deals with this sort of thing and the guy who repaired me said I'd just caught him at the end of his 12hr shift :cool:
's gonna take a while 'fore I can use this again - 10 - 14 days for the stitches out and then look after it for a few more weeks .. don't strain it/stretch it too hard :rolleyes:
didn't get a lot of kip last night after the pain killer wore off and a gramme of paracetamol 4 hourly, didn't have a lot of effect ... had me up at 04.00 for some more
Might get a tramadol cocktail tonight, so's I can get some decent zeds as it's worse today, up like a balloon, have had to redo the dressing as it'd gotten too tight (still leaking) and I am knackered :rolleyes:
Have had Vicki and the girls here since lunchtime and Vicki cooked us a beautiful roast chicken dinner .. not long left so yon paw has had a busy afternoon, instead of just resting it, elevated
Glad you got sorted and are ok Graham!
However much you have paid in tax over the years I’m sure you have had your moneys worth back from the nhs!!! ❤️
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Glad you got sorted and are ok Graham!
However much you have paid in tax over the years I’m sure you have had your moneys worth back from the nhs!!! ❤️
OK, but VERY sore Dan .. the clout I think hurts more than the wound ATM .... and extremely PO-ed with myself at the stupidity of how I did it
bumped into an old customer/friend down the village this morning who asked WTF?? he cringed when I explained it to him and said after what i'd spent a lifetime doing, without any serious injury I must be annoyed .. he was bang on ... worst injury/most stitches I've ever sustained/needed.
Am amazed I didn't break anything - Gaucher sufferers are 'sposed to have a 'bone china' skeleton - slightest knock ! .... never broken a bone in my life - touch wood :rolleyes:
 
Top