DPM under concrete

Stubota86

Stubota86

Well-known member
We wouldn’t normally bother but would dampen the base if it’s really dry and spray it with water a few times a day depending on weather once the top has cured for a week or so
 
D

DaveDCB

Well-known member
Volumetrics are a good bit of kit, but the cement dust that comes off them is nasty, they also nearly always leave a mess on the floor, either a pile of slurry or sand, which is not ideal on clean jobs.
I get drum mix from Hanson for £57/cube cheaper than the guys with volumetric - on small loads, they get cheaper on full 9cube but still always work out dearer!
 
Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Well-known member
There is a good deal of convenience with a volumetric truck. They can often reach much further into a job than a standard drum mixer. Yes it’s a bit dearer, but that can sometimes be justified I think. Awkward jobs where it’s difficult to work out volumes, then they are handy. The one we used on a regular basis could do 1 cube per minute, so didn’t hang around doing footings etc.
As said though, there’s often a mess on the ground, when they get worn a bit. But then a drum mixer will want to wash off somewhere.
Trouble with volumetrics now is the new rules on what they can carry have f***ed the job imo. Rightly or wrongly they used to be able to run at higher weights, our local guy could squeeze 10 cube out of his on the right mix. Now they only do 7 ish. Sort of knocks the shine off it now. We’d quite often have 8-9 cube in one delivery.
 
R

Russell

Well-known member
Wish there was a volumetric one over here, nearly did me in trying to float my Shed base before it set.
 
dod

dod

Active member
Volumetrics are a good bit of kit, but the cement dust that comes off them is nasty, they also nearly always leave a mess on the floor, either a pile of slurry or sand, which is not ideal on clean jobs.
I get drum mix from Hanson for £57/cube cheaper than the guys with volumetric - on small loads, they get cheaper on full 9cube but still always work out dearer!
How much!!!!😫😫 what strength is that?

35N is around £95 a Cube. I'm making my own for £66 in materials.
 
F

fred

Well-known member
get a good 10 cube from a volumetric. Heavy wagons when fully loaded.
 
D

DaveDCB

Well-known member
How much!!!!😫😫 what strength is that?

35N is around £95 a Cube. I'm making my own for £66 in materials.

That’s the price saving between drum and volly( I get good rates on drum and volly firms ain’t interested I guess!)
 
F

fred

Well-known member
But they can’t run at those weights anymore apparently.

they were saturday (y)
£80 a cube round these parts, ready mix touch cheaper burt more hassle. Only need to be a cuber over and the saving is gone and you have mess to clear up.
 
Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Well-known member
they were saturday (y)
£80 a cube round these parts, ready mix touch cheaper burt more hassle. Only need to be a cuber over and the saving is gone and you have mess to clear up.
You're lucky then, they won’t do it round here anymore, but I’ve not tried all the suppliers I suppose. A change in the law means they shouldn’t be exploiting the loophole that allowed the higher weights. But maybe things have changed again?
 
J

Jimoz

Well-known member
What loophole allowed higher weights I thought overweight was a black and white thing?
We've got a good firm here wrightmix his trucks have always been really modern and well equipped. I usually use them for footings.
The pricing used to be a lot more clear. A set cube price under 4m3 and a cheaper one above that. Dare I say you used to get better rate for big big jobs.
Now when you ring up thought they can't give you a straight price per cube on single lorry loads. They want to quote you on am exact amount then if your over or under the price changes but not by a set amount per m3. I think it's how they've worked their haulage costs into the rate.
 
pettsy

pettsy

Well-known member
I know a couple of lads running them round here, will ask what they’re carrying next time I’m in the yard.
 
Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Well-known member
What loophole allowed higher weights I thought overweight was a black and white thing?
We've got a good firm here wrightmix his trucks have always been really modern and well equipped. I usually use them for footings.
The pricing used to be a lot more clear. A set cube price under 4m3 and a cheaper one above that. Dare I say you used to get better rate for big big jobs.
Now when you ring up thought they can't give you a straight price per cube on single lorry loads. They want to quote you on am exact amount then if your over or under the price changes but not by a set amount per m3. I think it's how they've worked their haulage costs into the rate.
As far as I know, they were running the trucks to their technical design maximum gross, which in the case of the Scania 8 wheelers that my guy uses, is 38t. And they were run as mobile plant I think, did not technically need MOT, 6 week checks ect, although the guy I use does. From what I’ve been told they can no longer run like this, and need to adhere to the 32t max gross of an ordinary 8 wheeler, hence them dropping down to 7 ish cube from a good 10.
Thats my take on it anyway, I’m no expert, just what I’ve been told.
 
Last edited:
Mogman

Mogman

What man as done, man can do, what never has,maybe
As far as I know, they were running the trucks to their technical design maximum gross, which in the case of the Scania 8 wheelers that my guy uses, is 38t. And they were run as mobile plant I think, did not technically need MOT, 6 week checks ect, although the guy I use does. From what I’ve bee; told they can no longer run like this, and need to adhere to the 32t max gross of an ordinary 8 wheeler, hence them dropping down to 7 ish cube from a good 10.
Thats my take on it anyway, I’m no expert, just what I’ve been told.
As he said 👍 and could run on red😳 the Renaults are designed for 40 tonnes too
 
Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Well-known member
Bloody hell why wasnt the concrete cheaper
Those volumetric trucks are not cheap, really not cheap! And cost quite a bit to maintain and keep working from what I’ve seen.

Also it will depend who’s running them, where and how they buy the sand, stone and cement. A small outfit with a small yard will be buying in the aggregate, a big firm running out of a quarry will have easier and cheaper access to aggregate etc.
 
Top