detached retina?

R

Russell

Well-known member
i had a vitreous retinal detachment in 2018 that caused issues with floaters and bright flashes of light went to eye infirmary and was told overtime would mend itself and it did seem to recently eyesight got progressively worse in that eye. now the membrane that covers the retina has a hole or has puckered and i now need an op to peel the membrane and also have cataract done. had cataract done in the other eye and it worked brilliantly, i am hoping for the same when i eventually get a date for the op. it was originally brought up early march this year as urgent, but everything locally is backed right up.
They got me in to Southampton general within a week. Can you ask to be referred there?
As I'm sure you're aware you have to move quickly with eye issues.

I was very nervous when they told me the procedure, big needles in your eye and removing eye jelly all under local but to be honest it was no big deal and no pain. Also I couldn't really see anything because they covered my good eye.
 
C

charlie2

Well-known member
They got me in to Southampton general within a week. Can you ask to be referred there?
As I'm sure you're aware you have to move quickly with eye issues.

I was very nervous when they told me the procedure, big needles in your eye and removing eye jelly all under local but to be honest it was no big deal and no pain. Also I couldn't really see anything because they covered my good eye.
Royal Bournemouth university hospital is where I have been referred to Dorchester done my cataract my retina I have been told is ok the issue is with the membrane that covers it, that has to be peeled off , I am sure if there was any big risk to my sight completely I would have been in and sorted by now, the optician that picked it up in March would not give me any meaningful info or reason why he was referring me. I was concerned then and when I tried using the link I had been given to choose who and where to go nothing would work it was from a nhs source but an independent private company/partner. I eventually rang patient helpline at Dorchester hospital the patient liaison service they chased it all up and I am going from that. I would obviously like it sorted as soon as possible but the nhs is under immense pressure with huge waiting lists, if it was just cataract I would go private but as it’s a lot more involved it isn’t possible, ironically I can see Dorchester hospital from my house and they took over from the royal eye infirmary that was in Weymouth. The Dorset group hospitals seem to spread certain services to different hospitals. It’s good you got seen quickly and I hope it resolves your problem. Good luck in your recovery let nature take its course and I am sure you will be fine, heavy lifting and bending forward isn’t good or sneezing hard they told me.
 
Storrsy

Storrsy

Well-known member
Royal Bournemouth university hospital is where I have been referred to Dorchester done my cataract my retina I have been told is ok the issue is with the membrane that covers it, that has to be peeled off , I am sure if there was any big risk to my sight completely I would have been in and sorted by now, the optician that picked it up in March would not give me any meaningful info or reason why he was referring me. I was concerned then and when I tried using the link I had been given to choose who and where to go nothing would work it was from a nhs source but an independent private company/partner. I eventually rang patient helpline at Dorchester hospital the patient liaison service they chased it all up and I am going from that. I would obviously like it sorted as soon as possible but the nhs is under immense pressure with huge waiting lists, if it was just cataract I would go private but as it’s a lot more involved it isn’t possible, ironically I can see Dorchester hospital from my house and they took over from the royal eye infirmary that was in Weymouth. The Dorset group hospitals seem to spread certain services to different hospitals. It’s good you got seen quickly and I hope it resolves your problem. Good luck in your recovery let nature take its course and I am sure you will be fine, heavy lifting and bending forward isn’t good or sneezing hard they told me.
...and eat plenty of fibre...
 
R

Russell

Well-known member
Royal Bournemouth university hospital is where I have been referred to Dorchester done my cataract my retina I have been told is ok the issue is with the membrane that covers it, that has to be peeled off , I am sure if there was any big risk to my sight completely I would have been in and sorted by now, the optician that picked it up in March would not give me any meaningful info or reason why he was referring me. I was concerned then and when I tried using the link I had been given to choose who and where to go nothing would work it was from a nhs source but an independent private company/partner. I eventually rang patient helpline at Dorchester hospital the patient liaison service they chased it all up and I am going from that. I would obviously like it sorted as soon as possible but the nhs is under immense pressure with huge waiting lists, if it was just cataract I would go private but as it’s a lot more involved it isn’t possible, ironically I can see Dorchester hospital from my house and they took over from the royal eye infirmary that was in Weymouth. The Dorset group hospitals seem to spread certain services to different hospitals. It’s good you got seen quickly and I hope it resolves your problem. Good luck in your recovery let nature take its course and I am sure you will be fine, heavy lifting and bending forward isn’t good or sneezing hard they told me.
Fingers crossed but i have been thinking of a backup plan, what machine earns money that you could drive with one eye/ no depth perception?
Stump grinder?
Maybe a ride on lawn mower although in not sure what you could earn with this. I assume people with a house worth a million quid or more would buy their own?
 
C

charlie2

Well-known member
Fingers crossed but i have been thinking of a backup plan, what machine earns money that you could drive with one eye/ no depth perception?
Stump grinder?
Maybe a ride on lawn mower although in not sure what you could earn with this. I assume people with a house worth a million quid or more would buy their own?
i do a bit still for my mate on the diggers you do adapt to differing vision my left eye is good right one is fairly bad you will adapt to lots of things i was getting two differing images when i look at say a roof ridge line left eye see it as level or flat my right eye see it as dipping in middle or curving down in the middle, at first its off putting but i have got over it mostly i think it takes a while for your brain to sort whats right and whats wrong. blinking my right eye seems to reset stuff, very hard to explain i was worried that i would have to stop driving but optician and the guy i saw in the hospital both said my vision in my left eye is more than good enough to meet current regulations. obviously its early days so soon from your op but personally i would not be too bothered about what may happen just stay positive that all will come good. hopefully everything for you will work out fine just follow what advice they give you and dont stress over it to much. i was at the start and it ends up getting you down. now i look at it as if s**t happens i will cross that bridge then .i cant change anything now.
 
Charlie

Charlie

Well-known member
Not that you need this information as it'll all go ok but I have a mate Peter that lost his eye as a kid by putting a firework in a bottle :oops::rolleyes:. He taught me to plough and happily drives excavators etc. My wife also lost her vision in one eye 3 years ago after being diagnosed with MS and she still drives etc fine. (Well, as good as she did when she could see out of both of them anyway :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:). Didn't even need an assessment, the consultant just wrote to the DVLA and said all's good. No change to the insurance either.
 
Top