Construction rental business (+ any women here)?

Left hooker

Left hooker

bloody hell talk about encouragement!

one thing is for sure, building is mega busy and demand for plant is high.

How to turn that into money i don't know but its there for the taking, don't take too much notice of the nay sayers on here go for it!
Guess you have not seen the order Sunbelt rentals (formally a plant ) has put in for gear, hire market is going to get flooded with new gear soon

R

Russell

I wonder if one of those hookalift things could earn money. One of those and a remote control tracked carrier platform thing for transporting the conc beams and steels round the back of a house for extensions. If you could get both on a trailer that would save you transporting costs.
I don't know what the going rate for a telehandler for half a day is but would guess somewhere around that. I think a small crane is £250 a hour locally.
I would think you would need to operate it yourself though.

Last edited:
Giles

Giles

I wonder if one of those hookalift things could earn money. One of those and a remote control tracked carrier platform thing for transporting the conc beams and steels round the back of a house for extensions. If you could get both on a trailer that would save you transporting costs.
I don't know what the going rate for a telehandler for half a day is but would guess somewhere around that. I think a small crane is £250 a hour locally.
I would think you would need to operate it yourself though.
they do an ambilical tracked carrier for the hooka to move steels and a steel lifting head for them looks a good setup, firm running a pair of them with operators

but again it needs someone really to run them not just hired out to numpties

Attachments

• 2EF5838D-0F97-4948-91FA-2E820E094481.jpeg
    2EF5838D-0F97-4948-91FA-2E820E094481.jpeg
    293 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Furniss

Furniss

I wish I had had 50k to start with instead of 5k..... if you were starting out a little groundworks firm its a decent start, but in the sector you are looking at 50k is neither here nor there unfortunately - surely you can find something better to do with it.

R

Russell

they do an ambilical tracked carrier for the hooka to move steels and a steel lifting head for them looks a good setup, firm running a pair of them with operators

but again it needs someone really to run them not just hired out to numpties
That is a cool setup

F

fred

for places you cant get the beam in with a telehandler this one is brilliant.

T whiting

T whiting

for places you cant get the beam in with a telehandler this one is brilliant.

Yes they feel much less sketchy than a genie lift and they lift from below makes them easier to get in

T whiting

T whiting

If you feel like the work with 50k I'd buy 2 1.5t and a micro digger and a pickup/trailer to transport them with but you would have to have a good ring round all the local hire companies to see what there charging and to make sure your charging enough to cross hire in a machine if you get busy /have breakdowns.
I'd definitely stay away from forklifts they can be had for pittance on hire anyway and are a bit of a paperwork minefield if you don't know what your doing

A

AusDave

If you've not got a background in construction but are thinking of hire, what about hiring space/storage.
Find a suitably zoned building with a good bit of yard space and charge for storage either under cover or in the yard. Make sure you've got fencing, lights security cameras etc and you can store a variety of machinery, vehicles, caravans, stuff on pallets, use shipping containers for large storage, under cover storage lockers and so on..
Not sure if you have the possibility of finding a suitable place or if your location suits people looking for storage, but it's a simple concept and a lot of people have done well financially with storage in my part of the world. Potentially startup costs may be within your budget.

F

forklift_girl

Where did this startup capital of 50k come from? Not a bounce back loan was it? :ROFLMAO:
No, it is from personal savings.

Thanks everyone for your replies, lots of useful information here, seems like 50k is just not enough to start a profitable rental business.

@AusDave Renting space as you suggested is probably a better option, but I assume you are in Australia?
@Quattromike interesting idea but about during the winter or next year when overseas holidays become normal again?

J

Jimoz

Any one seen this before I've seen the hippo bags but always wondered why someone doesn't collect the dumpies.
50k maybe start you on this I'm London with a 3.5t and hiab.

Attachments

• 20210406_163222.jpg
    20210406_163222.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 62
B

Brendan

No, it is from personal savings.

Thanks everyone for your replies, lots of useful information here, seems like 50k is just not enough to start a profitable rental business.

@AusDave Renting space as you suggested is probably a better option, but I assume you are in Australia?
@Quattromike interesting idea but about during the winter or next year when overseas holidays become normal again?
Plant hire can be profitable, but no idea on ROI as each cost would probably be based on the selling price after 3-5 years similar to car leasing companies where they make a bit of money on the hire then gain on the sale of the vehicle at the end
For example on new kit Vs hire cost (if I remember right)
micro digger 15k or so, out for hire 120-140 WK
1.5t digger 18k or so hire 120-160wk
Tracked dumper 7k+ hire 90-100wk
2.5t digger 27k hire 220 wk
you would get 80% or so for 1 day hires but you still have to transport them and repair the damages that the hirers cause.
There also isn't a lot of new kit about, hence high used prices

Last edited:
Gunners

Gunners

£50k to spend. In the plant industry. I'd buy as many towable welfare units as I could. Like gold dust at the moment, high demand for the foreseeable and a nice simple business to run with a relatively decent return per week.
Or a few wacker plates, small tools, garden machines like scarifiers and hire to facebook idiots who think they are getting a "deal" not using a proper hire company.

B

Brendan

Any one seen this before I've seen the hippo bags but always wondered why someone doesn't collect the dumpies.
50k maybe start you on this I'm London with a 3.5t and hiab.
Similar to the hippo bags you see in b and q, cheap to buy and the collection fees are near enough skip prices 🤣
Hippo do the dumpys for £12.49 each but if you want the bag and collection they're £145 😳.
To be fair it is a good idea but you'd need volume, could always go the grab route at least you could do other stuff

B

Brendan

£50k to spend. In the plant industry. I'd buy as many towable welfare units as I could. Like gold dust at the moment, high demand for the foreseeable and a nice simple business to run with a relatively decent return per week.
Or a few wacker plates, small tools, garden machines like scarifiers and hire to facebook idiots who think they are getting a "deal" not using a proper hire company.
I've got a couple of welfare units never seemed to get any enquiries, they are a few years old but fully working, new they are something like 20k+ each