Concrete prefab module ?

Furniss

Furniss

A good 8 years ago we did an underground/semi buried building into a hillside for a guy who wanted a hidden swimming pool pump room/tool shed - we did it to the customers design who is a civil engineer in the middle east. It went well albeit a lot of graft and expensive, footings,reinforced walls,block and beam ceiling and then a floor in.
We have been asked to be involved with another, different customer, and this time it would be a wine cellar, he has ideas for the build and they are the same type of construction to the previous one we did, I dont want to get involved with a similar build this time as we are too busy with the machine work nowadays but have said I will look at other options.
I am thinking of some sort of prefab concrete building, cheaper,faster and easier, no need for footing no need for a floor if it is a box (the dig which is already done by someone else) shows just compacted sand, so maybe some sectional solution that could be lifted into place with 8t machine,onto the levelled compacted base,drains around etc and backfill.
This potential project will have about 2M of ground cover on it.
thumbnail.jpg

Size would be iro 4mX5m

Has anyone had any experience with same sort of thing, any thoughts ?

Photo of the one we did long time ago is below and the dig of the 2nd one is above ... not much scale but back of dig about 4m + deep

pumproomtennis.jpg

M

Monkeybusiness

Could you not use concrete panels for the walls? Strong, cheap and really fast.

Furniss

Furniss

Could you not use concrete panels for the walls? Strong, cheap and really fast.
Maybe, tbh I dont know, I have zero experience with such stuff.
But pannels although they would speed that element up it would still leave a fair bit of work.
I did think big lego blocks but same thing im guessing they would need a footing,then of course floor and block n beam roof.
It would be pretty neat if a prefab box existed 🤔
@Mogman concrete box in sections ?

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
How big do you get the concrete rings 🤔 I'm sure I've seen 4m diameter rings and caps

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
Concrete culverts and shutter and pour the back wall.

Heavy though... Ones we shifted last year where 4.5t a piece

M

Monkeybusiness

A mate has built a ‘strong room’ in his shed out of 6 inch concrete panels, with a roof made out of the same laid on their side. Ridiculously strong, and only needs steel uprights setting in the corners to support everything. Build it, pour a floor and backfill - job done!

Furniss

Furniss

Access is across a little bridge - 8t has 1cm each side - otherwise its across 2 fields that belong the neighbours.... so ideally something in 2t lumps ..
Might be a big ask.
20200910_132721.jpg

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
biggest issues with panels would be water ingress .... did some steel work for something similar many years ago ... 'twere BIG though and some equally big beams ... block walls and concrete beam ceilings ..... bloke was a millionaire

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
As much as I hate the s**t... sounds like a Ideal pour for Nudura and a pump.

Furniss

Furniss

Yeah - I thought I might find something simple we could do with the kit available. :unsure:

Furniss

Furniss

If I cant come up with something simple for him I will let someone else tackle it..... too busy to get bogged down into something new that requires a lot of labour or a learning curve.
Rings sounds favorite... i dont think water ingress would be a problem filled with gravel right round ... but im guessing 4m rings are going to be over the 2t mark even in little lifts 🤔