Compressor ,Probably a question for Druid.

Simon edwards

Simon edwards

My old workshop compressor, must be 30 + years old,I bought it from a farm.
I’m starting to feel a bit uneasy about it every time I fire it up.
Should they be tested in some way after a certain age,?
do’nt fancy firing myself through the workshop door one day.
It’s quite a big lump,states design pressure 12 bar on the plate.

Simon edwards

Simon edwards

Good to know, my workshop is’nt commercial , our yard is elsewhere, this is where I play about at home. But sounds like I need to test or renew, thanks guys.

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
as said ... yearly inspection with inspection caps out is a legal requirement in commercial use ...
Ultrasound scan of anything 'suspicious' Vulcan used to do my two ...
main thing is to drain it down regularly ..
had mine set up fitted with a drain down line, to outside the shop, on a tap/ball valve ... made life so much easier and encouraged it to be done regularly, instead of the usual faff of cleaning up after you'd let it go ... well worth the effort of doing (y)
done my little Wolf one here .... so much less fuss to let it out regularly

S

Smiffy

as said ... yearly inspection with inspection caps out is a legal requirement in commercial use ...
Ultrasound scan of anything 'suspicious' Vulcan used to do my two ...
main thing is to drain it down regularly ..
had mine set up fitted with a drain down line, to outside the shop, on a tap/ball valve ... made life so much easier and encouraged it to be done regularly, instead of the usual faff of cleaning up after you'd let it go ... well worth the effort of doing (y)
done my little Wolf one here .... so much less fuss to let it out regularly

I've seen some commercial ones with a solenoid valve wired into the lighting circuit so gets a daily drain down.

Simon edwards

Simon edwards

Oooookay! Never drained it or done anything to it. Any recommendations for replacement,big enough to blow up 3cx and ifor trailer tyres .

Gecko

Gecko

had mine set up fitted with a drain down line, to outside the shop, on a tap/ball valve ... made life so much easier and encouraged it to be done regularly,
Also, if the vent is outside, you don't have to listen to it!

hiluxman

hiluxman

I never worried about water in lorry air tanks til I set rear tank up for an air line (as my petrol compressor wouldn't do 10 bar) I do now try to drain them soon as it pops in my head and the lorry is in the yard.

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Cheers Druid,what would be a decent size receiver?
I bought one of these a while back ... cost me just over 200 quid then :oops::oops: been very good .. do not buy a direct drive .. very noisy, high speed motors .. belt driven separate pump unit is far more reliable and quieter
Never been one to buy 'DIY' gear - always bought full house commercial stuff, but always had 3ph ... don't regret this one though ... can't believe how much they've gone up though :unsure:o_O:censored::cry:

1714943767226.png

D

DaveDCB

I bought one of these a while back ... cost me just over 200 quid then :oops::oops: been very good .. do not buy a direct drive .. very noisy, high speed motors .. belt driven separate pump unit is far more reliable and quieter
Never been one to buy 'DIY' gear - always bought full house commercial stuff, but always had 3ph ... don't regret this one though ... can't believe how much they've gone up though :unsure:o_O:censored::cry:

View attachment 60179
I paid £386 for mine exactly 2 years ago!!

But @Simon edwards this is more than up to the job 👍🏼