Classic machine, with a vintage operator...

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

My old man, 72, in his beloved 1989 820 Super , still going strong, and his favourite machine.
Getting a bit tired in an a few areas (man and machine:ROFLMAO:), and we really should have re-tracked the old girl before now, but new running gear is in the yard (has been for some time:rolleyes:), plan is to get her back to the yard for her 30th birthday and give her a well deserved overhaul this winter(y)
23D31924-8817-480E-8C83-F9818B660F93.jpeg

Scoff

Scoff

My old man, 72, in his beloved 1989 820 Super , still going strong, and his favourite machine.
Getting a bit tired in an a few areas (man and machine:ROFLMAO:), and we really should have re-tracked the old girl before now, but new running gear is in the yard (has been for some time:rolleyes:), plan is to get her back to the yard for her 30th birthday and give her a well deserved overhaul this winter(y)View attachment 44
Used to drive an 814 back in the day,good machine but soooo slow! Well compared to newer stuff.🙂

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Used to drive an 814 back in the day,good machine but soooo slow! Well compared to newer stuff.🙂
Maybe they are slow by modern standards, but this old girl can still hold her own, the old man can still load an 8 wheeler as quick as the newer machines :)
They do need ‘driving’ though, a young gun who wants to sit in an air conditioned cab with his carpet slippers on would be in a right muddle! :LOL:

Incidentally, was the 814 you drove a Super or not?

Scoff

Scoff

Maybe they are slow by modern standards, but this old girl can still hold her own, the old man can still load an 8 wheeler as quick as the newer machines :)
They do need ‘driving’ though, a young gun who wants to sit in an air conditioned cab with his carpet slippers on would be in a right muddle! :LOL:

Incidentally, was the 814 you drove a Super or not?

Yes was a super,lovely Perkins 6354 in it,chap had a js130 at the same time,loved the js so much I bought one,was a cracking digger but went lazy on the track motors toward the end.

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

What made them a 'Super'?

Iirc on 814 machines, it meant a variable displacement hyd pump rather than a triple gang geared pump, which brought with it a better hyd system, better final drives, and probably a few other differences that I can’t recall at the moment.

On the bigger machines it was much the same, although I’m sure the 817,818 and 820 never had geared pumps. Not sure on the 816, without looking in the manuals, but I don’t think they did either. I’m sure they all had the same Rexroth AV 80 Variable pump, weather ‘Super’ or not. And I’m sure the larger machines were turbo in ‘Super’ spec, and naturally aspirated if not.
I can’t imagine they built many, if any non Super machines in the latter part of production? Possibly for other countries? Not sure.

Incidentally it was the same when we had our 803, ‘Super’ was basically just a Variable pump, rather than a geared pump arrangement. Like chalk n cheese to drive though(y)

Bri963

Bri963

An outfit I worked for in the late '80's had a 814 and an 814 Super and there was quite a difference in performance. These were both almost new at the time. I went from the Super to a Fiat-Hitachi 13 tonner and that was when I realised the Super wasn't exactly a sprinter.

TiltyShaun

TiltyShaun

I seem to remember hiring one of those back in the day. Am I right in thinking it was a thirsty turbo unit under the lid?

diggerjones

diggerjones

I operated a 814 super back in the day. It had a extra power button on the right hand lever

diggerjones

diggerjones

Yes something like that. Remember using it pulling out of a deep hole. Press it and it reved its nuts off

Antony Holmes

Antony Holmes

I saw this on job and the guy was going to scrap it so i gave him scrap money for it and brought it up the road to Scotland no i have it here i am not shore what to do with it but one thing for shore you wont get more classic that this the guy told me it is late late twenty's he may have been pulling my leg i am not shore it has a moris engine but not shore if has run for years

1534877742268.png