Case drain on hydraulic motors?

Scoff

Scoff

Member
Is it absolutely necessary?

I know years ago we had trouble with certain motors blowing seals and we put this down to not fitting a case drain,have loads of motors without nowadays but just bought a hydraulic driven pump and I want to use it on my digger,piped via the breaker circuit.

The pump has come from Finland and there is somewhat of a language barrier,hydraulic motor is Italian and drawing shows drain on the side,I really want to use a 2 pipe set up if possible.

Tia Scoff
 
CPS

CPS

Well-known member
Is it absolutely necessary?

I know years ago we had trouble with certain motors blowing seals and we put this down to not fitting a case drain,have loads of motors without nowadays but just bought a hydraulic driven pump and I want to use it on my digger,piped via the breaker circuit.

The pump has come from Finland and there is somewhat of a language barrier,hydraulic motor is Italian and drawing shows drain on the side,I really want to use a 2 pipe set up if possible.

Tia Scoff
Do you have a picture of the motor.?
 
Scoff

Scoff

Member

Attachments

  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    134 KB · Views: 625
Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Well-known member
I reckon she will want a separate case drain, as it’s a piston motor.
Are you running it in both directions, or will it only be one way? I suppose it could be plumbed into the return if it is only used one way? But imo it would need to be a free flow return to tank, not via the spool valve. But I’m just an amateur really.....:)
 
Scoff

Scoff

Member
I reckon she will want a separate case drain, as it’s a piston motor.
Are you running it in both directions, or will it only be one way? I suppose it could be plumbed into the return if it is only used one way? But imo it would need to be a free flow return to tank, not via the spool valve. But I’m just an amateur really.....:)

Only going the one direction,I'm thinking the same return and drain sharing the return.

I'ts a £2200 pump,I don't want to feck it.
 
Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Well-known member
Only going the one direction,I'm thinking the same return and drain sharing the return.

I'ts a £2200 pump,I don't want to feck it.
Just make sure it’s a fre flow return (y)

I think I’d still want reassurance from the supplier/manufacturer though.

Have you already purchased this motor?
 
CPS

CPS

Well-known member
I reckon she will want a separate case drain, as it’s a piston motor.
Are you running it in both directions, or will it only be one way? I suppose it could be plumbed into the return if it is only used one way? But imo it would need to be a free flow return to tank, not via the spool valve. But I’m just an amateur really.....:)

I agree with James (apart from the amateur bit😉) it defo needs a drain line, if you Do fit the drain line to the return then fit a little 1/4 no return valve on it also.
 
Scoff

Scoff

Member
Just make sure it’s a fre flow return (y)

I think I’d still want reassurance from the supplier/manufacturer though.

Have you already purchased this motor?

Yes,I think I'll try google translate when I email the supplier.

image.jpeg
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
at that price I would be spending on some 1/4" rubber, a few fittings and a direct to tank, free flowing, totally unobstructed case drain line!!:cautious::cautious: ..... no question :rolleyes: then use it, without fear of impending doom, everytime I engaged it:eek:
 
Hydremaduck

Hydremaduck

Active member
Is it absolutely necessary?

The pump has come from Finland and there is somewhat of a language barrier,hydraulic motor is Italian and drawing shows drain on the side,I really want to use a 2 pipe set up if possible.

Think that would be good enough for me!
 
CPS

CPS

Well-known member
Yes,I think I'll try google translate when I email the supplier.

View attachment 2236
at that price I would be spending on some 1/4" rubber, a few fittings and a direct to tank, free flowing, totally unobstructed case drain line!!:cautious::cautious: ..... no question :rolleyes: then use it, without fear of impending doom, everytime I engaged it:eek:
I agree with Graham, its a minor cost the fit a dedicated case drain line compared to that motor
 
Scoff

Scoff

Member
I'll go down the free flow return route,buggers my plans of using a multi coupler the same as on my loadalls though.
 
Grahams

Grahams

Don't complain - suggest what's better
I'll go down the free flow return route,buggers my plans of using a multi coupler the same as on my loadalls though.
You can get multicouplers that have more than two lines in, but if you are using an attachment that doesn’t need the extra line they still work.
Graham
 
Mogman

Mogman

What man as done, man can do, what never has,maybe
Is it a submersible pump?
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I'll go down the free flow return route,buggers my plans of using a multi coupler the same as on my loadalls though.
The 1/4" FFs aren't exactly hard work to couple up,:rolleyes: especially as there'll never be any residual pressure issues in the lines:cool: ..... a flying tail tagged to the multi'll take seconds to couple and the peace of mind would be immense (y)(y)
 
Scoff

Scoff

Member
You can get multicouplers that have more than two lines in, but if you are using an attachment that doesn’t need the extra line they still work.
Graham

I know,trouble is I've only just fitted 2 line multi couplers on 4 machines.
Is it a submersible pump?

Yes

The 1/4" FFs aren't exactly hard work to couple up,:rolleyes: especially as there'll never be any residual pressure issues in the lines:cool: ..... a flying tail tagged to the multi'll take seconds to couple and the peace of mind would be immense (y)(y)

It's more about being adaptable than easy coupling.
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I know,trouble is I've only just fitted 2 line multi couplers on 4 machines.


Yes



It's more about being adaptable than easy coupling.
Can see where you'e coming from if you want to use it on four different m/cs ...... but as said earlier .... what price; peace of mind :rolleyes: :unsure:
 
Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Well-known member
The question is then, if you are using it on multiple machines, if you try plumbing it into the return, have ALL the machines got a free flow return to tank? Or do they go through a spool valve?
 
Scoff

Scoff

Member
Would have been grand to share between machines but hard work on 9m loadalls adding a free flow return,lot easier on a 360 because you don't have the telescopic boom to deal with.
 
Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Well-known member
Would have been grand to share between machines but hard work on 9m loadalls adding a free flow return,lot easier on a 360 because you don't have the telescopic boom to deal with.

I had a brainwave the other day, when I had my post knocker on the loadall, also a 9.5m. You could put a Tee piece in the return line, at the change over valve, just behind the cab inside the chassis (jcb), or anywhere suitable where the pipes come off the boom. Fit a high pressure lever valve to the Tee, and pipe it directly to tank. Then when a one way attachment needed to be used, with a free flow return, then it would simply be a case of opening the valve and dumping the return to tank, thus negating the spool valve(y)

Of course you could do this on an Excavator, but this kind of thing is already in place I would think?
 
Top