Bucket is 3mm too narrow for Dipper on JCB 8008 CTS Micro Digger

O

ohjustsomeguy

New member
Several months ago I bought a JCB 8008 CTS Micro Digger which came with three buckets.

Finally today I tried to use the 200mm bucket, but found it's slightly too narrow to fit the dipper arm.

PXL_20261001_151154352 (1).jpg


PXL_20261001_151121103 (1).jpg




PXL_20261001_151222756 (1).jpg


I'm considering using an angle grinder to trim 3mm of material off one side of the bucket, just around the two pin holes. What do others think?
 
S

Smiffy

Well-known member
Several months ago I bought a JCB 8008 CTS Micro Digger which came with three buckets.

Finally today I tried to use the 200mm bucket, but found it's slightly too wide to fit the dipper arm.

View attachment 85368

View attachment 85369



View attachment 85367

I'm considering using an angel grinder to trim 3mm of material off one side of the bucket, just around the two pin holes. What do others think?

That bit that is sticking out and catching is a plastic bush that should be inside the boom. Tap it back in. It might need cleaning out first. Although it's probably a good opportunity to replace them.

 
O

ohjustsomeguy

New member
I thought it was the bush before, but the bucket's other pin hole (ear?) doesn't fit either, and it doesn't have a bush protruding.
 
O

ohjustsomeguy

New member
I think the bucket is made for a different model.

If I resort to using an angle grinder to remove a few mm from the inside of the ears, what blade would be best - diamond or rasta disc for metal?

If rasta - cut straight down or grind from the sides?
 
Last edited:
doobin

doobin

Well-known member
I think the bucket is made for a different model.

If I resort to using an angle grinder to remove 3mm from the inside of the ears, what blade would be best - diamond or rasta disc for metal?

If rasta - cut straight down or grind from the sides?
Never use diamond for cutting steel. Diamond for stone.

I would just cut as accurately as you can with a 9" grinder (some 1mm thick discs are ideal). However it's likely that you will ignore this advice and try to proceed with the more readily available 3-4mm thick discs. What will happen then is that your grinder cut will slip towards the edge and then
peel away at an angle as the steel heats up, especially as you're only trying to remove 3mm to start with.

Then you will need to be ready to use a thick grinding (as opposed to cutting) disc to try to finish it off!

If the bucket is from another machine, just check that the pin centres are the same as (or further apart than) as your other buckets. Because if they are too close together you will end up snapping the end of your dipper arm off, and it's not worth it for a £150 bucket!

What's a 'rasta disc'?
 
O

ohjustsomeguy

New member
Never use diamond for cutting steel. Diamond for stone.

I would just cut as accurately as you can with a 9" grinder (some 1mm thick discs are ideal). However it's likely that you will ignore this advice and try to proceed with the more readily available 3-4mm thick discs. What will happen then is that your grinder cut will slip towards the edge and then
peel away at an angle as the steel heats up, especially as you're only trying to remove 3mm to start with.

Then you will need to be ready to use a thick grinding (as opposed to cutting) disc to try to finish it off!

If the bucket is from another machine, just check that the pin centres are the same as (or further apart than) as your other buckets. Because if they are too close together you will end up snapping the end of your dipper arm off, and it's not worth it for a £150 bucket!

What's a 'rasta disc'?
Great advice, thanks doobin. Will check pin centres first. I have a large selection of abrasive discs, will check if I have a 1mm.

AI Overview
A Rasta disk usually refers to industrial abrasive metal-cutting and grinding wheels made by Rasta Abrasives
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
you won't find a 1mm x 9" ...
the 9" are 1,8 mm thick ----
I'd lay it on it's side on a bench or firm surface at a sensible height and keep the grinder horizontal - much better control and grind a mil an' a half off each side with a grinding disc
 
O

ohjustsomeguy

New member
Hit the hangers with a hammer, they have likely got a knock inwards
Actually you might be right, the hangers weren't exact equal distances apart.


The only discs I had of around 1mm were diamond discs. My thinnest abrasive disc for cutting metal was 2.8mm. It kept sliding and I quickly realised there was no way I would easily be able to cut it straight freehand.

I switched to a grinder disc and this did the job with much more control.

Bucket is now fitted and ready for the next stage of digging my driveway 🥳
 
Top