Bristol Bulldozer Gearbox issues

C

cowfarmer

New member
Hi, New member trying to figure out how to approach a problem. I have a Bristol PD ?? bulldozer that has had issues getting into and staying in reverse gear. I have taken the top off the box and there is visible movement in the spigot bearing between the input and output shafts. The oil in the box is very milky and thick, but that is probably due to it sitting in a paddock for a few years and then being driven half a k to my property. My question for the experts here is can I fix the spigot bearing without pulling the motor and clutch housings off the front of the gearbox/diff housing?

Any information most welcome, I have a big shed, plenty of tools, lots of experience rebuilding machinery with no manuals, but bugger all exposure to bulldozers. Photos of the machine are on the introductions forum.

Cheers

Simon
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Hi, New member trying to figure out how to approach a problem. I have a Bristol PD ?? bulldozer that has had issues getting into and staying in reverse gear. I have taken the top off the box and there is visible movement in the spigot bearing between the input and output shafts. The oil in the box is very milky and thick, but that is probably due to it sitting in a paddock for a few years and then being driven half a k to my property. My question for the experts here is can I fix the spigot bearing without pulling the motor and clutch housings off the front of the gearbox/diff housing?

Any information most welcome, I have a big shed, plenty of tools, lots of experience rebuilding machinery with no manuals, but bugger all exposure to bulldozers. Photos of the machine are on the introductions forum.

Cheers

Simon
I assume when you say spigot bearing (usually found in the rear end of the crankshaft), that you mean the first motion/input shaft, driven by the clutch friction plate, is moving/has end float?? It would normally have some form of thrust bearing set up, I'd have thought, either plain bearing or ball/roller thrust ... if that's worn/bolloed/banjaxed, i'd be guessing it's a box out job :(
 
C

cowfarmer

New member
Hi V8 Druid, Not quite. It is the output half of that shaft. If you put a lever on a reverse gear tooth and push against the shaft the shifter fork slides on the output shaft moves relative to the input shaft, side to side by about 1mm. I suspect you are right about having to pull it apart, but I thought I would ask anyway, because I prefer to get my experience from someone elses trial and error whenever possible. The hardest part of the whole job will be clearing out all my son's Landcruiser parts out of my shed so I have some space. The rest is just time and money.

Cheers, and merry Christmas

Simon
 
Top