Bike lanes cash cow?have your say...

S

Stroppymonkey

Well-known member
You are all a right bunch of grumpy old men this week!
I used to love cycling, used to go out 3 times a week and cycle with a club as well at weekends. Great times. Fast forward 20 years and now the roads are way more s**t, traffic density has hugely increased and I myself have started despising bastard road cyclists as well 😂. When I’m on a bike I drive the same as if I’m in a slow vehicle - I hate having stuff stacking up behind me, so will pull over at all opportunities - so gets my goat when I’m stuck behind one!
My particular cyclist hate is when I am stuck behind a string of cyclists with random gaps - especially when towing as there often isn’t sufficient room between individuals - so essentially it forms a slow moving vehicle that’s 300m long. IMHO it should be a road rule that groups should ride as a solid group - I would rather deal with a tight bunch than a long line.
Bikes are great - but we need to separate them from the roads for everyone’s sake, and train people more, as a LOT of cyclists are complete *****! I use multi use trails a lot for walking and running , and frequently encounter bikes from the other end of the spectrum - and no less annoying when an inconsiderate cyclist buzzes you at 30mph with no bell use and no shits given. I don’t know how they do it in Holland - but we have a lot to learn I think.
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
how the rapier travelled, but with a slightly longer rear attachment point and if it wasn't tight that hook block fairly flailed about

DCP_3263.JPG
 
6

6feetdown

Well-known member
You are all a right bunch of grumpy old men this week!
I used to love cycling, used to go out 3 times a week and cycle with a club as well at weekends. Great times. Fast forward 20 years and now the roads are way more s**t, traffic density has hugely increased and I myself have started despising bastard road cyclists as well 😂. When I’m on a bike I drive the same as if I’m in a slow vehicle - I hate having stuff stacking up behind me, so will pull over at all opportunities - so gets my goat when I’m stuck behind one!
My particular cyclist hate is when I am stuck behind a string of cyclists with random gaps - especially when towing as there often isn’t sufficient room between individuals - so essentially it forms a slow moving vehicle that’s 300m long. IMHO it should be a road rule that groups should ride as a solid group - I would rather deal with a tight bunch than a long line.
Bikes are great - but we need to separate them from the roads for everyone’s sake, and train people more, as a LOT of cyclists are complete *****! I use multi use trails a lot for walking and running , and frequently encounter bikes from the other end of the spectrum - and no less annoying when an inconsiderate cyclist buzzes you at 30mph with no bell use and no shits given. I don’t know how they do it in Holland - but we have a lot to learn I think.
Because most people in this country are selfish that's who think they've a right to everything that THEY do
 
Storrsy

Storrsy

Well-known member
I think what annoys me is most of them are just put for a jolly. Cycling 2 abreast having a chat, or head down flat out completely oblivious (intentionally) to the carnage mounting up behind them. Got nothing against cycling but it's the arrogance many of them display- there was once an advert for Volvo- my memory might be hazy but I remember a couple of pretty Swedish girls driving along and giving a pedestrian a good slap with a large wet fish as they pass- I often think of this advert as I pass a cyclist.
 
6

6feetdown

Well-known member
It is disturbing how the mind distorts things over the passage of time I agree but I'm sure there was a Volvo version involving pretty girls? Anyone???
2 pretty Swedish girls, a slap with a fish and a volvo 🤣🍾
 
Bucket on wheels

Bucket on wheels

Well-known member
A taxi driver was bragging to this passenger in the back seat.
Of about How he, took the cyclists on the front fender.
As they passed a cyclist. the taxi driver heard a loud bang.
Then the passenger said
I saw you're going to miss.
So I took him with the door.
 
Last edited:
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
A taxi driver was bragging to this passenger in the back seat.
Of about How he, took the cyclists on the front fender.
As they passed a cyclist. the taxi driver heard a loud bang.
Then the passenger said
I saw you're going to miss.
So I took him with the door.
love it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
 
P

powercom

Active member
I'll put my head above the parapet and admit I ride a mountain bike off road allot , rarely on road but inevitably i have to cross roads and go up or down them occasionally between off road bits so I can see this from both sides as around me there are loads of road cyclists who use main roads either to commute of for pleasure when there are good dedicated cycle lanes on these same roads they don't use and or much less busy roads that are often more direct that would be far safer especially if you make the same journey daily.
There are some sensible ones among them but i have to admit allot are very self centered .
I think some the issue is some of these riders are competing with times they recorded on apps such as Strava for the fastest journey time so they wont use a cycle lane as they then may be fractionally slower instead of substantially safer , someone once pointed out to me how relaxed commuting on a bike was in holland compared to the UK and they where of the opinion the commute it treated as race by allot of riders here where is time to relax in holland.

Locally however some road cyclist or at least one of them are recording people overtaking them and of you are not giving 2m or so distance sending the video to the police who are issuing fine and or a invitation to a speed awareness course , I know 3 people who this has happened to this year. 2 got done the same day on the same road 20mins apart so most likely the same rider .

Many years ago i was doing some work for a farmer , and had to move combine with the header trailer behind from one farm to another , this took me up long steep hill where there seemed to be some sort of bike event on maybe a charity ride or something not the tour of Britain but good few bikes where going up this steep hill and as it was steep they where going slow , I could pass a few but inevitably had to stay behind allot , so at one point I looked in the mirror and here one is hanging onto the header but on the nearside as we came to a slight bend i could see a truck coming down the hill meaning I needed to get the combine tire on the verge I put on the LH indicator so matey would maybe get the hint but so I could to let the truck past but he was to cock a hoop at his cheeky lift up the hill to notice i think , well inevitably as the small gap between roadside and header trailer got lees and less the space for matey boy back there got less and less till his pedal caught heap of road salt on edge of the road and he tumbled off , all very low speed I saw him stand up and his mates where pissing them selves laughing him but i didn't stop .
however at the top of the hill i had to turn into a narrow entrance to the left , combines are rear wheel steer and towing the header means you need to leave plenty of room for tail swing so as i slowed and indicated to turn a bunch of bikes decided to overtake oblivious to the tail swing and rear wheel steer and again a few more bit the dust as they tried to get through a rapidly diminishing strip of tarmac and landed on the verge as the tail of the combine and trailer swung out.
 
Top