Benford TV1200 drive problem

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Just so I am clear

The engine is not running should the brakes be on or off

The engine is running (tick over) should the brakes be on or off

The revs are on and forward is selected guessing the brakes should be off

The hydraulics apply the brakes and springs take them of or Visa-versa
I'd be saying spring applied - hyd release from what I recall of what Mick said
 
Mick-the-fitter

Mick-the-fitter

It’s what I do!
Just so I am clear

The engine is not running should the brakes be on or off

The engine is running (tick over) should the brakes be on or off

The revs are on and forward is selected guessing the brakes should be off

The hydraulics apply the brakes and springs take them of or Visa-versa
Sprung on hydraulic off, 👍🏻
 
Mick-the-fitter

Mick-the-fitter

It’s what I do!
Like I explained get two long bolts the same thread as the bolts holding the covers on the hubs put two nuts on them wind them against the plates front and hubs, take all the other bolts out wind the nuts off slowly, they will leak a bit of oil, take out the brake packs, put the covers back and cap the hoses, if there is still pressure issue we can loop the tow valve out to tank, let me know!
 
S

Steve Tivey

Member
Like I explained get two long bolts the same thread as the bolts holding the covers on the hubs put two nuts on them wind them against the plates front and hubs, take all the other bolts out wind the nuts off slowly, they will leak a bit of oil, take out the brake packs, put the covers back and cap the hoses, if there is still pressure issue we can loop the tow valve out to tank, let me know!
My committee are concerned about taking off the brakes as there are often small kids about when I am working.

Is there any way of testing the tow block valve? If this was faulty would it divert oil back to the tank rather than make pressure?

When I took off the brake pipes with the engine running the hydraulics has a steady but gentle stream, cant imagine enough to operate anything certainly not high pressure.
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
My committee are concerned about taking off the brakes as there are often small kids about when I am working.

Is there any way of testing the tow block valve? If this was faulty would it divert oil back to the tank rather than make pressure?

When I took off the brake pipes with the engine running the hydraulics has a steady but gentle stream, cant imagine enough to operate anything certainly not high pressure.
like @Mick-the-fitter said ... refurb the tow valve block
 
Mick-the-fitter

Mick-the-fitter

It’s what I do!
You will get flow when the engine is running, the tow valve may have an internal leak, which means rather than make pressure at the brake hubs it will leak back to tank! Ok take a hose off the steering ram either end, join it with a tee into the two brake hoses at the tow valve/ red and green cable ties, if you can blank the tow valve, start the engine and turn the steering one way or the other, the roller will turn one way but take the brakes off in the other direction, turn the steering wheel to the brakes off and try and drive at the same time. Photos please👍
 
S

Steve Tivey

Member
Hi Mick

Having a go this weekend.

However I am confused.

If the brakes were On or Stuck On when the machine was asked to drive would the engine not pull down?

Where does the fluid from the brake release go, does it form some kind of circuit or signal to the drive

Tried in the week and with the engine on, block in Tow position when drive selected the engine was pulled down immediately

Moved Tow block to drive and tried to move engine just revved no resistance at all
 
I

IvorT

Member
did you check there is no muck between drum and chassis / frame ?
 
I

IvorT

Member
Hi IvorT

Yes , would it not pull the engine down if it was blocked?
it would prevent the drum from turning so would act like a brake on thus pulling down the engine.
we've had both terex and bomag and the terex had less clearance than the bomag so even a small amount of muck can act like a brake.
we now have a bomag as the clearance is much greater.
we used to use a road pin to clear the s**t out that built up on use particularly on soil or damp muck or wet mot
 
S

Steve Tivey

Member
You will get flow when the engine is running, the tow valve may have an internal leak, which means rather than make pressure at the brake hubs it will leak back to tank! Ok take a hose off the steering ram either end, join it with a tee into the two brake hoses at the tow valve/ red and green cable ties, if you can blank the tow valve, start the engine and turn the steering one way or the other, the roller will turn one way but take the brakes off in the other direction, turn the steering wheel to the brakes off and try and drive at the same time. Photos please👍
Hi Mick

Tried that ( see photos) no difference
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20230320_143931.jpg
    IMG_20230320_143931.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_20230320_143952.jpg
    IMG_20230320_143952.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_20230320_144007.jpg
    IMG_20230320_144007.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_20230320_144043.jpg
    IMG_20230320_144043.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 195
S

Steve Tivey

Member

Attachments

  • IMG_20230321_165735.jpg
    IMG_20230321_165735.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_20230321_165751.jpg
    IMG_20230321_165751.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 176
Mick-the-fitter

Mick-the-fitter

It’s what I do!
As I remember! There is a thread inside, that when using a large washer and bolt or threaded bar M16 I think! And a nut you can thread the bolt in through the washer and wind the nut down the bolt pulling the brakes off! Do back and front, then see if you can drive the roller?
Just a question? was there an issue with before you had it refurbished?
 
S

Steve Tivey

Member
As I remember! There is a thread inside, that when using a large washer and bolt or threaded bar M16 I think! And a nut you can thread the bolt in through the washer and wind the nut down the bolt pulling the brakes off! Do back and front, then see if you can drive the roller?
Just a question? was there an issue with before you had it refurbished?
 
S

Steve Tivey

Member
We were using the roller when suddenly we lost drive. no deterioration just no drive
When we rev the engine it does just that the engine does not pull down which would suggest stuck brakes or jammed wheels

So the bolt goes through the hole and screws into a thread in the machine, the washer rests on the outer plate, then a nut pulls something towards it releasing the brakes???

Is this with the previous steering ram instructions or should I rebuild that?
 
Mick-the-fitter

Mick-the-fitter

It’s what I do!
We were using the roller when suddenly we lost drive. no deterioration just no drive
When we rev the engine it does just that the engine does not pull down which would suggest stuck brakes or jammed wheels

So the bolt goes through the hole and screws into a thread in the machine, the washer rests on the outer plate, then a nut pulls something towards it releasing the brakes???

Is this with the previous steering ram instructions or should I rebuild that?
Put everything back to standard, wind the brakes off like I have sudgested with the studying or long bolts and nuts and washers👍🏻
 
S

Steve Tivey

Member
Mick the Fitter and others

Can I thanks everyone for their help and precious time.

In a pub conversation, I was introduced to one of John Deere`s top engineers.

He came and had a look and within 10 mins she was rolling.

The problem was/is the front drive pump is broken, however both drives are linked so all pressure was going back to the tank. This link was broken and the rear wheel drives.

Thrilled

We don't know why or what is broken so if you have any ideas where I might find a replacement.

Thanks again

Steve
 
Mick-the-fitter

Mick-the-fitter

It’s what I do!
A good result, if oil is going back to tank! The drive motors are in series so I would suggest the drive coupling is broken between motor and drum!👍
 
Top