arc welder

S

Smiffy

nah .... you got to admit Mike, MIG is a POP compared to stick, uphill

But it is made remarkably easier with decent rods cheap Chinese rods are like pissing in the wind
I found it a revelation when the boss man got me some 7810 rods just never got used to starting them
My old man has a particular brand of rods that he reckons being difficult to weld the correct way up with but never tried them if he struggles then I have no hope

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
I cut my teeth doing 56s root and hot pass with fcaw fill and cap. 99%of the welding done was fcaw . Whenever there was a job to do on MIG nobody in the shop could get a decent weld bead 😆 new guys started and couldn't do decent fcaw but managed the MIG no problems.

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I cut my teeth doing 56s root and hot pass with fcaw fill and cap. 99%of the welding done was fcaw . Whenever there was a job to do on MIG nobody in the shop could get a decent weld bead 😆 new guys started and couldn't do decent fcaw but managed the MIG no problems.
never been a fan of flux cored ... but then never did much of it ....
Ever done any subby-arc Mike ..... that's the way to lay it down :giggle::giggle: ... not a lot of cop in the vertical/overhead though :LOL: although it has been tried ... apparently :oops:

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
never been a fan of flux cored ... but then never did much of it ....
Ever done any subby-arc Mike ..... that's the way to lay it down :giggle::giggle: ... not a lot of cop in the vertical/overhead though :LOL: although it has been tried ... apparently :oops:
One place I worked did a lot of sub arc pipe spools. Was impressive runs going in on occasion 😎 the pipe was rotated and the weld pool always on top so not overly positional

V8Druid

V8Druid

One place I worked did a lot of sub arc pipe spools. Was impressive runs going in on occasion 😎 the pipe was rotated and the weld pool always on top so not overly positional

used to work for a guy who's biz was partly to do with the local steel works round here ... amongst all sorts, he re-furbished the Davey mill rollers from the rolling mill lines.
subby arc rebuilding of the wearing surfaces ... could put down a 12mm thick layer about 35mm wide in a pass ... rolls were rotated under the weld heads in heated environments and once rebuilt enough, machined back to tolerances ..
could swing up to 40 t in the biggest of their lathes ... a new Poreba, which I had the pleasure of helping to install and commission with the Polish guy who came over to oversee the installation and commissioning ...
used to turn my hand to all sorts for Dennis ... and often floated about filling in if someone hadn't turned in ... and ran the subs more than the odd occasion .... had to be on the ball with them ... inclusions didn't go down too well and were a right faff to sort out

learnt a hell of a lot there and got to do all sorts of things, especially as he trusted me enough to get dropped onto all sorts of different things ... was never boring for sure ... was a great experience.(y):cool:

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
Aye you can imagine with pipe spools with elbows and tees and such getting it to rotate at a steady rate when it was sometimes heavily out of balance we come up with some weird looking solutions with bits stuck on here , there to get the thing to rotate in time 😳

V8Druid

V8Druid

Aye you can imagine with pipe spools with elbows and tees and such getting it to rotate at a steady rate when it was sometimes heavily out of balance we come up with some weird looking solutions with bits stuck on here , there to get the thing to rotate in time 😳
aye can well imagine trying to mount branches on a Bode manipulator'd be well exciting o_O :LOL: