They gave me a delivered price and also one picked up from the depot, it didn't seem to be an issue. If I had an account...
I don't have the figures in front of me, but it was going to be something like £150 to deliver and they warned me it was coming on an articulated 18 wheeler or something. It's asking for trouble trying to get one of those along the road to us and it certainly wouldn't fit down the 1/4 mile track to the house so I would have opted for picking it up. A 4hr round trip would have been not so bad. I just want to pay a reasonable amount, for a bulk order and an easy deal.
I believe gas is what is driving the prices:
GAS INFOGas prices Average price for the month Pence per therm For use during month of Apr 2023 102.19 May 2023 Mar 2023 111.19 Apr 2023 Feb 2023 135.76 Mar 2023 Jan 2023 156.30 Feb 2023 Dec 2022 310.33 Jan 2023 Nov 2022 111.64 December 2022 Oct 2022 111.02 Nov 2022 Sep 2022 274.36 Oct 2022 Aug...
tarmacbuxtonlime.com
I priced up the materials I need a year ago when it was low, I then got a shock when the energy surcharge had tripled when checking March/April, but now I see it's dropped back massively again. I can't pass the cost onto a customer because i'm the end user!
Cement is circa 5 - £6 per bag inc VAT, lime is currently £24 from merchants. I'm thinking this is because they stocked up at last months price and this months is much less. A ton is now £115+VAT more than one quoted me a month ago.
Buxton initially advised using a merchant, but they're either too expensive or just ( hello Travesty Perkins) not even interested in giving me a price at all. I have a cash account with them so asked. 4 times I rung back and got excuses every time, I gave up in the end and decided to tackle Tarmac. I'm assuming as the building trade is very busy they just can't be arsed with enquiries.
I'm a bit stuck really as I need to crack on with the house now the weather is better to get it waterproofed for Winter, but am worried I'll spunk all the money on obscene material prices, only to find in a few months everything changes. Maybe prices will drop back to normal levels or we'll go into recession and that may help drive them down too.
A simple bulk order should attract a discount, but it seems it's not that easy.