Alternator🤔

Mogman

Mogman

What man as done, man can do, what never has,maybe
Been tasked with sorting the charging of a manitou 732🤔 had their fitter put a new battery on still won’t start so he put a new alternator on but still battery flat over night😳 so they asked another ‘fitter’🥱 to have a look, after a day he managed to put a direct feed from the battery to the alternator🤔 but still no joy

I had a look this afternoon and there is no dash lights on (so battery light not on no charge🤔) took all the dash out and found a dodgy connector gave a good clean but still no dash lights😳

now when I put my hand on the alternator it’s too hot to touch🥵 so my thinking was/is it’s wired wrong (plus I think the new alternator is burned out

see this is what I have,
B+ is the big connector goes to a 60 amp fuse then the battery
ED6A38DC-3AA1-4C39-B1CA-81272DC74802.jpeg
But where do the other two connector too🤔
I think W is warning light, but what about D+

I have two wires a red one and a green one that go the these connectors but which one goes where
#1 fitter is on his holidays now (and I use the word fitter in the looses possible way🤪🤪)

what’s your thoughts or has anyone got a manitou with a Perkins engine in to tell me which wire goes where then at least I can tick that off the problem
 
D

DaveDCB

Well-known member
Silly question- does it work with a new / fully charged battery attached?
 
jd6820

jd6820

Well-known member
Been tasked with sorting the charging of a manitou 732🤔 had their fitter put a new battery on still won’t start so he put a new alternator on but still battery flat over night😳 so they asked another ‘fitter’🥱 to have a look, after a day he managed to put a direct feed from the battery to the alternator🤔 but still no joy

I had a look this afternoon and there is no dash lights on (so battery light not on no charge🤔) took all the dash out and found a dodgy connector gave a good clean but still no dash lights😳

now when I put my hand on the alternator it’s too hot to touch🥵 so my thinking was/is it’s wired wrong (plus I think the new alternator is burned out

see this is what I have,
B+ is the big connector goes to a 60 amp fuse then the battery
View attachment 49036
But where do the other two connector too🤔
I think W is warning light, but what about D+

I have two wires a red one and a green one that go the these connectors but which one goes where
#1 fitter is on his holidays now (and I use the word fitter in the looses possible way🤪🤪)

what’s your thoughts or has anyone got a manitou with a Perkins engine in to tell me which wire goes where then at least I can tick that off the problem
B+ is the battery live

D+ is the warning lamp/ignition feed to excite the alternator

W is frequency for tacho
 
Mogman

Mogman

What man as done, man can do, what never has,maybe
B+ is the battery live

D+ is the warning lamp/ignition feed to excite the alternator

W is frequency for tacho
Cheers👍 not got a tacho🤔 but still got three wires that go to the alternator🤷

now the next question is after messing with a few ‘Green’ plugs and sockets I’m only getting 6-7 volts at the charge lamp (wasn’t getting anything before I un ‘greened’ a few plugs so I can only think there must be still a bad connection

oh I’ve had to put the old alternator back on as the ‘new’ one seems to be grounded on all the terminals to earth

so out of a red wire or a green wire which would you connect to the ‘exciter’ connector ( I think red)
 
S

Steve

Well-known member
Does the manitou have an external regulator, usually near or in the battery box.
 
jd6820

jd6820

Well-known member
Does the manitou have an external regulator, usually near or in the battery box.
Unlikely, I'll see if I have a wiring diagram but I'll warn you they aint good to follow and that comes from someone who's good with wiring diagrams...
 
jd6820

jd6820

Well-known member
Wiring diagram is for a 627 but it'll be fairly similar to the 732. You need 12V one side of the bulb, this 12V is common across quite a few of the other dash bulbs so if no other dash lights start at the fuse panel. Is it one by the foot throttle on that model?
 

Attachments

  • Manitou 627 Wiring.pdf
    323.4 KB · Views: 3,127
Mogman

Mogman

What man as done, man can do, what never has,maybe
Wiring diagram is for a 627 but it'll be fairly similar to the 732. You need 12V one side of the bulb, this 12V is common across quite a few of the other dash bulbs so if no other dash lights start at the fuse panel. Is it one by the foot throttle on that model?
I’m only getting 6v that is common to the bulbs (oil pressure, ignition etc.)
 
Mogman

Mogman

What man as done, man can do, what never has,maybe
Wiring diagram is for a 627 but it'll be fairly similar to the 732. You need 12V one side of the bulb, this 12V is common across quite a few of the other dash bulbs so if no other dash lights start at the fuse panel. Is it one by the foot throttle on that model?
Cheers for diagram will print it off

the W connector on the alternator goes to the hour clock👍

yea the fuse and relays are behind the foot throttle had it all disconnected and sprayed with ac90
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I’m only getting 6v that is common to the bulbs (oil pressure, ignition etc.)
have you got a pair series'd up anywhere? ....
ignition switch in a bad way forming a dropper resistance??
does it have a dash voltage stabiliser unit and has it gone south?

stabiliser unit
1688165892150.png
1688165960523.png
1688166050896.png
 
Last edited:
D

DaveDCB

Well-known member
Is the Earth good?
I’ve had my telehandler misbehave with a loose earth, engine will run without it but dash died.. 🤔
 
jd6820

jd6820

Well-known member
Cheers for diagram will print it off

the W connector on the alternator goes to the hour clock👍

yea the fuse and relays are behind the foot throttle had it all disconnected and sprayed with ac90
Should be getting 12V nowt will work properly at 6V, either earth issue or corrosion, possibly on the fuse board, they are bad for it due to the location. Check the fuses in the holders at the bottom of the board. Usually on the back of the panel you take off to access the relays/fuses there is a diagram of what the fuses/relays do. Check voltages at each side of the fuses, the pins are exposed so leave the fuse in the holder and check each circuit.
 
Mogman

Mogman

What man as done, man can do, what never has,maybe
Should be getting 12V nowt will work properly at 6V, either earth issue or corrosion, possibly on the fuse board, they are bad for it due to the location. Check the fuses in the holders at the bottom of the board. Usually on the back of the panel you take off to access the relays/fuses there is a diagram of what the fuses/relays do. Check voltages at each side of the fuses, the pins are exposed so leave the fuse in the holder and check each circuit.
That’s my thinking 🤔


Your wiring diagram has different colours going to the alternator 😩
Will trace back to fuse box so that it is connected properly

Like I said too many ‘fitters’ been messing with it so I have to start from the beginning 😡
 
Mogman

Mogman

What man as done, man can do, what never has,maybe
Well after a bit of dismantling
E063D619-1BB0-4CDF-83AA-56F32175A5DC.jpeg
yes obitrol out with pipe work😳 along with the heater duct just to get the fuse board out (to check for any broken traces)

found it has a broken wire somewhere in the loom between the engine bay and cab

so was going to run a new wire but found that air filter sensor was broken off so used one of the wires form it and connected to the alternator then swapped the other end to the charge light

oh and the new alternator has burned out because the idiot had put a direct feed from the battery to the D+ and left it connected, now the B+ goes straight to earth🤪 never felt an alternator so hot so stuck the old one back on and she’s charging like a power station now💪💪👍

cheers for the inputs👍
 
Top