Advertising?

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
I personally don't like companies phoning up work asking for any work they can do for us , it makes companies look desperate in my eyes. If I were needing work carried out I'd do my own homework as to who is about doing this work giving a good service at reasonable prices. Sign written vehicles with contact details and the odd sign at recently completed works is also a good thing if you're leaving a good job 👍

A

Alan caddy

Keep an eye on local planning sites you can then see who is going to be building stuuf and send a courtious letter offering your services etc

S

Steve

With things as they are now I am probably going to have to change but I don't advertise at all & in my case I don't believe advertising brings the sort of customers I want anyway.
I have in the past managed to get all my work from recommendation & have been fortunate to have very good customers from this.

Furniss

Furniss

We advertised for the first few years but dont anymore - our experience is like above ... with adverts you tend to get some right messers with the occasional good job thrown in.
Specializing in something certainly helped us and got us away from competing with weekend warrior types.

Edit : We have our website name written on the equipment which gets people looking at your website site.

Last edited:
Routy56

Routy56

What about them breakfast club thing.
Got invited to one of those where you have to go every Tuesday morning and give a one minute presentation.
I said. "Hi my names Dave and I have a digger......" Showed them pictures 😅
Then they wash up by citing the leads that they have had from the previous meeting etc :geek:
The chairman told me that my presentation was the best one for a long time.
Gave out several business cards at the time and got loads of work.
Then got a call to see if I wanted to Join at £70 per month-
"No thanks, by the time I've had breakfast with you guys, I could have been on site for 4 hours!" 😅
By far the best is word of mouth networking, particularly with local trade and business partners.
Love working with small builders because they know the job and we just crack on with it :)
However, will be reviewing my dormant web site, and Facebook page and Instagram presence......

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
Personally I hate advertising..... Websites are essential in this age if seeking new work... But adverts in general are very good at burning money in our particular trade.

Personal opinion is a good plant list or description of what you do on a website will generate work.

As for ringing or emailing prospective clients.... Personally it's something I have done once and will never bother with again, makes you look needy and the client seems to think they are doing you a favor 🤔

But that's just me.... We go on word of mouth pretty exclusively now.... Plus I've too much work and am pretty fkd off with plant hire in general 😂

B

Brendan

I've got a website, it's not the best but is fairly reasonable, do get the odd lead through it but requires paying for AdWords which to be honest is a rip off.
Got a facebook thing although really should update it as not done anything with it

R

Russell

When you do a Facebook add do you create it like a personal page and in the name just write bodge it and leg it building works? Or is there a specific add page you fill out?
I'm not too up together with face book but I have just made a personal page and started asking for friends :rolleyes: .
Good call on the van sign writing, now I'm running two cars I'll get some stickers for the disco.
I have done the spamming of planning applications one or twice but it's not the cheapest doing a book of stamps once a week.

B

Brendan

When you do a Facebook add do you create it like a personal page and in the name just write bodge it and leg it building works? Or is there a specific add page you fill out?
I'm not too up together with face book but I have just made a personal page and started asking for friends :rolleyes: .
Good call on the van sign writing, now I'm running two cars I'll get some stickers for the disco.
I have done the spamming of planning applications one or twice but it's not the cheapest doing a book of stamps once a week.
You can setup a separate business page

Antony Holmes

Antony Holmes

You can setup a separate business page
I will be honest I am not well up on face book but on the top of the page their is a tab create that gives you an option to set up a business page

diggerjones

diggerjones

For all those asking about breakfast club. I ain't got a clue but sounds like routey56 has described it well.
I've nevrr realy advertised. Word of mouth.
Had my van sign written for nearly 20 years and never had a inquiry regarding the pick up signage

R

Russell

Well I think I've made a Facebook page for ground works and digger hire. That was about the limit of my computer abilities:unsure:.
It's probably a bit of a shambles but will be interesting to see if it brings any work.

diggerjones

diggerjones

Well I think I've made a Facebook page for ground works and digger hire. That was about the limit of my computer abilities:unsure:.
It's probably a bit of a shambles but will be interesting to see if it brings any work.
Wheres the link

pettsy

pettsy

Just given it a like for you. Do you have any before and after pics you could add?

Jimbo69

Jimbo69

Just given it a like for you. Do you have any before and after pics you could add?

I just gave it a like as well. I find Facebook works quite well, I've ran a couple of ads during quiet spells and got a fair bit of work from them. You do get some time wasters but they are usually quite easy to spot. Put as much pictures up as you can but don't put loads of posts on at the same time, if you spread them out a bit they get a bit more views. Also ask your customers to give you reviews, every little helps as they say.