Access Platform - Simon Topper

J

JBASport

Member
I have a Simon Topper Access Platform that are no longer made. It has a 3KW 24v motor that powers the hydraulic pump. The power is supplied by a bank of 4 large 12v batteries, paired up to produce the 24v. Keeping the batteries charged up has always been difficult when the machine was not in constant use. I wanted to add the ability to have it powered directly from the 240v mains power. I have sourced a 240v-24v transformer and rectifier as advised I should, but thereafter I am stuck! Not sure how to connect it all up. Can anyone help? Many thanks, Terry
 

Attachments

  • Cherry Picker 1.jpg
    Cherry Picker 1.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 621
  • IMG_5271 (1).jpg
    IMG_5271 (1).jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_5274.jpg
    IMG_5274.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_5276.jpg
    IMG_5276.jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_5279.jpg
    IMG_5279.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 449
  • IMG_5280.jpg
    IMG_5280.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 348
  • GE%20-%20SCR%20Manual%201964_0298.jpg
    GE%20-%20SCR%20Manual%201964_0298.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_5274.jpg
    IMG_5274.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_5281.jpg
    IMG_5281.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_5282.jpg
    IMG_5282.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_5283.jpg
    IMG_5283.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 329
Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
I haven't looked at the drawings you have posted but I suspect you will need to have a change over switch so you are either running off the batteries or running off the transformer
 
J

JBASport

Member
Thanks. I do realise I would have to do that, but have no idea what to do with connecting up the transformer & rectify I was advised to source! :-( Any help would be really appreciated. Terry
 
S

Steve

Well-known member
I had a Simon topper a few years ago it had been messed around with quite a bit. It had 2 12volt truck batteries these were charged with a 24v alternator driven off a Honda gx engine this worked really well it was wired to stop charging when the pumps started to protect the alternator. Only thing I would have done to improve it was wire it up for electric start, would have been nice to be able to start & stop the engine from the basket.
 
S

Steve

Well-known member
I am no sparky but I would think those motors draw a lot of power to be running them off a transformer.
 
Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Well-known member
I am no sparky but I would think those motors draw a lot of power to be running them off a transformer.
Sactly, needs 125a at 24v 😳 imo better looking at sorting the battery and charger system ,way handier.
 
J

JBASport

Member
The transformer I sourced (see picture) is 24v / 120amp, so should be meaty enough. I was hoping to be able to do both, use the batteries but also the 240v supply as well. Many thanks, Terry
 
Giles

Giles

Well-known member
We had one And like you eat batteries, keeping them charged nightmare then replacing them. I always thought swapping it out for a petrol or Diesel engine be better option.
 
J

JBASport

Member
Yes, that was my problem too. 4 heavy duty 100ah batteries at £100+ each gets really expensive to replace! I was hoping to have 2 x 12v heavy duty batteries only as a back up. The main power supplied through a 240 supply, but having sourced what I have been told is the correct hardware (Transformer & Rectifier), no idea what to do next! :-( Terry
 
S

Steve

Well-known member
I can’t see why it wouldn’t work if your 120 amp transformer is up to the job. If the voltage output is slightly more than 24v it could also be used to charge the batteries when the machine is idle.
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Assume that's the same Simon made the Snorkel fire tender platforms and ladders ... were local here -- once .... One weekend the afternoon shift clocked off on a friday, four o'clock ... Monday morning shift came in and everything was gone ... including the time clock ......... moved the entire plant to bonny Scortlan' over the weekend :oops::LOL:
cured the workforce issues they were having
 
T whiting

T whiting

Well-known member
I'd say a big 24v charger across the batterys would've been the easiest solution it would've kept the batterys topped up for mains free use and let you use it "plugged in"

At this point though you need a big dpdt 24v relay and a few meters of wire id also add a charger unless it has its own already so it's charging while your using it on a lead
 
J

JBASport

Member
Thanks for that. Any chance you can draw a diagram of what you mean? Terry
 
Top