4WD front driveshaft UJ replacement

T

topkit

Well-known member
Just wondering if anyone on here with a 4WD tractor or backhoe loader has ever replaced the UJ's on the front driveshafts, My Terex 860 ones have seen better days so i thought i would give it a go!
 
doobin

doobin

Well-known member
Just wondering if anyone on here with a 4WD tractor or backhoe loader has ever replaced the UJ's on the front driveshafts, My Terex 860 ones have seen better days so i thought i would give it a go!
You might get away with a very big vice ad a few large sockets. I can fit pto ujs in mine.
 
diggerjones

diggerjones

Well-known member
Think I've got a thread on it somewhere. Might be on the old forum. Will have a look
 
R

Rob65

Well-known member
I’ve not done any of any plant but have done plenty of car prop shaft joints.

Some are held together by circlips which are generally easy enough to get apart.

Others are held in by ‘staking’ which is where a bit of metal is displaced from the yoke over the back of the bearing cup to stop it coming out. You will need a special tool to do this reliably. These are sometimes supplied with the replacement bearings and some times not.

What type are your joints?
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
a right PITA if they're 'staked' and a new spider is harder to find for staked units, usually as not intended to be a user serviceable item :(:mad:..... be real lucky to part a staked unit in a vice ... interference fit is much tighter and unless you can machine the stakings out first, would need a press to broach them out with the bearing cup's rear edges
 
T

topkit

Well-known member
Perfect many thanks DJ that is a very helpful link, The UJ's are held in by a circlip so should be relatively easy to deal with. I have been collecting parts over the past month so have the UJ's, Large O Ring and seals, new top and bottom swivels, Washers and new central bodies for the UJ's, I think the whole lot has cost me a shade under £200 so I am pretty happy so far.
 
Bri963

Bri963

Well-known member
I’ve done them in the past, and if you can access a press, it’s easier than a vice. Everything sits vertically and it’s easier to line it all up.
 
Storrsy

Storrsy

Well-known member
And when you press the cups back on make sure the little needle bearings are all in place- else the cup won't press home fully.
 
Top