3d printing

heritage machining

heritage machining

Just got a 3d printer for myself and my kids to play on (well that's what I told the missus) I can see the possibilitys of it amazing bit of kit anyone else had a play on one my eldest (11) has already drawn up a couple of things he wants to print my think is if he is going to play on computers at least it's something constructive rather than games which i dont get (and cant play) me I would rather be outside

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Just got a 3d printer for myself and my kids to play on (well that's what I told the missus) I can see the possibilitys of it amazing bit of kit anyone else had a play on one my eldest (11) has already drawn up a couple of things he wants to print my think is if he is going to play on computers at least it's something constructive rather than games which i dont get (and cant play) me I would rather be outside
Pam's boy, Josh has had one for some time and is quite good with it ... prints all sorts of things ... it's very clever

R

Rob65

I’ve no experience with 3d printing so will be watching this thread closely as currently I know nothing about such technology.

I’ve just bought a small laser engraving machine so I can learn about 2d cad / cam with the view of applying this to a diy plasma table in due course.

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
I quite fancy a 3d printer for myself, I think they could be handy for obscure parts bins or odd bracketary parts and the like. Also a bit of tech to play with for a while

V8Druid

V8Druid

I quite fancy a 3d printer for myself, I think they could be handy for obscure parts bins or odd bracketary parts and the like. Also a bit of tech to play with for a while
Josh makes bits for his kids toys (that they usually break) and a lot of parts for some marble maze game that apparently has silly prices for add on bits -- lots of software/programs available on line for just about every component :rolleyes:
has also repaired a few power tools that have had placcy bits fail and created new bits to replace them

B

bobthebuilder

Josh makes bits for his kids toys (that they usually break) and a lot of parts for some marble maze game that apparently has silly prices for add on bits -- lots of software/programs available on line for just about every component :rolleyes:
has also repaired a few power tools that have had placcy bits fail and created new bits to replace them
endless possibiltys ,and money to be made methinks

heritage machining

heritage machining

My Printer is a flashforge finder so pretty basic but it works well Jacob has already printed a few articulated lizards and I started on a bit to hold the bigger standard size pla filament rolls

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
We recently 3D printed a new prototype product before machining from solid steel.. the results where amazing.
3D printing has came on seriously well in the last few years
I can see the benefits for us in 3d printing prototypes way cheaper than manufacturing something. But what spec does the printer need to be 🤔

R

Rob65

3 d printing is something I would love to learn about.

What sort of thing does one look at in the specs for a printer to separate good from bad?

For example when I bought a projector I looked at picture resolution, contrast ratio and bulb life.

What’s the equivalent things to look at here?

heritage machining

heritage machining

Tbh I wanted to get a creality k1 which is a very high speed machine (about 600mm a minute) but i could not justify it yet things to look for are nozzle size, which determines print quality and detail build size and ideally use of various different types of filament abs pla woodfibre ect my one has a 0.4 nozzle size only really prints pla and has a 140 x 140 x 140mm build size so it's fairly basic however I got it secondhand for 60 quid so its a good starter its also really easy to use so the kids can do it the software I'm using is Linux debian and freecad

CPS

CPS

I bought a 3D printer about 4 years ago. I decided to built it up one evening when my wife and little girl where out.... they came home just as i was finished and it was put away and forgotten about. I must pull it out again

CPS

CPS

I can see the benefits for us in 3d printing prototypes way cheaper than manufacturing something. But what spec does the printer need to be 🤔
Know idea on spec, i had a guy help me on this project and he suggested printing it first.... i thought, na itll never work..... but it did. It was absolutely spot on and let us see exactly what we wanted.
He has updated his printer lately and apparently every time he does it is a huge improvement

Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Know idea on spec, i had a guy help me on this project and he suggested printing it first.... i thought, na itll never work..... but it did. It was absolutely spot on and let us see exactly what we wanted.
He has updated his printer lately and apparently every time he does it is a huge improvement
Seen the metal filament printers? 😎
For obsolete parts etc ..

V8Druid

V8Druid

think we might be missing a pic @CPS

R

Rob65

Tbh I wanted to get a creality k1 which is a very high speed machine (about 600mm a minute) but i could not justify it yet things to look for are nozzle size, which determines print quality and detail build size and ideally use of various different types of filament abs pla woodfibre ect my one has a 0.4 nozzle size only really prints pla and has a 140 x 140 x 140mm build size so it's fairly basic however I got it secondhand for 60 quid so its a good starter its also really easy to use so the kids can do it the software I'm using is Linux debian and freecad
I’ve just bought a laser engraving machine. My ultimate plan is to have a CNC plasma but I figured trying to learn both software and the mechanical side of CNC at the same time was biting off more than I can chew.

If I can master Light burn and then GRBL then I can hopefully change the low power laser head I have now for either a much more powerful laser to cut plywood or a plasma torch.

Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Been playing with our handheld CNC router lately.
Frig is it a handy bit of kit.

Love how this stuff is so accessible now
Want a logo...drag into web browser. Then bingo it's accessible in the CNC.

Needed a molle pattern on some Ali...
Doddle of a job.
1000117386.jpg

V8Druid

V8Druid

Been playing with our handheld CNC router lately.
Frig is it a handy bit of kit.

Love how this stuff is so accessible now
Want a logo...drag into web browser. Then bingo it's accessible in the CNC.

Needed a molle pattern on some Ali...
Doddle of a job.
View attachment 55507
how can a CNC machine be handheld?? :unsure:o_O