18T HookLoader

T

treetops

Hi everyone, this is my first post i primarily do treework but also run a 2.8t digger for trees but have increasingly been doing digging work with the machine rather than the tree related tasks it was bought for. I've been eyeing an 18t hook loader as vehicle to help with both lines of work it would have a decent crane for loading logs or muck and potentially putting plant over the odd wall, and a few bodies for different taks, payload would be 6-7 ton. i know this works well for timber related activities, but just wanted to know the opinions of the members for this sort of set up for a bit of muckaway or materials into jobs etc on small digging jobs, driveways etc. The payload is relatively small but tips are rarely far (10 mile tops ) and with decent rates for tipping, one could make the same as a days hire running a few loads out to clear a job instead of using a grab contractor? also 100% legal when moving the machine with some attachments instead of walking the line sticking it on 3.5t trailer.... i have thoughts either way. but would be interested in opinions from a pure earthworks point of view.

also, i already have an operators license and C+E and have run trucks before so am aware of that side of things.

Thanks

craig

craig

Welcome

For your own jobs, the convenience would out way the smaller payload.
If your touting purely for grab loader/muck away work you would be competing with people, moving double the material each load at not much more running cost.

S

Smiffy

Hi everyone, this is my first post i primarily do treework but also run a 2.8t digger for trees but have increasingly been doing digging work with the machine rather than the tree related tasks it was bought for. I've been eyeing an 18t hook loader as vehicle to help with both lines of work it would have a decent crane for loading logs or muck and potentially putting plant over the odd wall, and a few bodies for different taks, payload would be 6-7 ton. i know this works well for timber related activities, but just wanted to know the opinions of the members for this sort of set up for a bit of muckaway or materials into jobs etc on small digging jobs, driveways etc. The payload is relatively small but tips are rarely far (10 mile tops ) and with decent rates for tipping, one could make the same as a days hire running a few loads out to clear a job instead of using a grab contractor? also 100% legal when moving the machine with some attachments instead of walking the line sticking it on 3.5t trailer.... i have thoughts either way. but would be interested in opinions from a pure earthworks point of view.

also, i already have an operators license and C+E and have run trucks before so am aware of that side of things.

Thanks

The only thing is 6-7t payload might be a bit generous for a hookloader with decent crane
Where I work the tree gang has an 18t tipper with heavy lift crane and that can carry 7.5t and you would have to consider the best part of 2t of hookgear
If you can cope with this then 18t is fine
However if that is a problem a 26t lorry actually has a tighter turning circle as the wheelbase works out shorter
Providing they run the shorter bins as some 26t run the long bins therefore longer wheelbase and bigger turning circle
The other thing to consider is if you are looking at the two I've seen on ebay they both have relatively small cranes
For tree work to get any real advantage you need at least 14t/m
Especially running twin extension

T

treetops

Thanks for that input the weight is verified, depending on the bin of course. crane lifts 6 ton close in not sure how ton/M ratings work to be honest, I should look it up! But its just for landing the truck really maybe sectioning down a stem on the odd job where you can pull up next to it to save a lot of cutting.

Do you need a permit to have a skip on the road if its just there in daylight? I'm thinking king it would be handy to put 1 down ready to load then stick the lorry somewhere else, but not sure what the rules are for signs and lights etc for this.

S

Smiffy

Thanks for that input the weight is verified, depending on the bin of course. crane lifts 6 ton close in not sure how ton/M ratings work to be honest, I should look it up! But its just for landing the truck really maybe sectioning down a stem on the odd job where you can pull up next to it to save a lot of cutting.

Do you need a permit to have a skip on the road if its just there in daylight? I'm thinking king it would be handy to put 1 down ready to load then stick the lorry somewhere else, but not sure what the rules are for signs and lights etc for this.
As it's difficult to rate what a crane will lift they are all stated as there lift capacity 1m from the center of the kingpost or slewring
12-14t is the smallest that will lift a full bucket of muck with two extensions out
If they say 6t close in be careful they don't mean 6t/m as I think you would be quite disappointed with the actual lift
The plate on the crane will have a lift chart which will tell you everything

T

treetops

As it's difficult to rate what a crane will lift they are all stated as there lift capacity 1m from the center of the kingpost or slewring
12-14t is the smallest that will lift a full bucket of muck with two extensions out
If they say 6t close in be careful they don't mean 6t/m as I think you would be quite disappointed with the actual lift
The plate on the crane will have a lift chart which will tell you everything

tipper_truck_7_dot_5_t_mercedes_benz_actros_2640_hiab_145_3_1999_4762438-11.jpg

This is it, what TM is that ? Looks to lift over a ton at full stretch ?

S

Smiffy

That's a 14.5tm newer version of what I use
Really good crane and will do u well
The only time I've maxed it out I had a 5ft round of oak 8ft long and had to drag it over the side of the lorry

Mogman

Mogman

What man as done, man can do, what never has,maybe
well that's your crimbo tree sales catered for for this year Mog .:giggle::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: ...... I;d have taken 51 feet off 'em ... what's left ain't worth having
Well after we had topped them the son came out and asked if we could take the rest down and remove the stumps so basically charged him twice the price, as if he had said that first off we could of dropped them in one, saved me taking the telehandler and got them straight on the trailer and saved two trips to my big bonfire :whistle: