Working on the Rails

Richard Hunton

Richard Hunton

Well-known member
Hi all,

Has anyone had any experience of working on the rails and or the avenues for getting into such work.

Not looking for a complete career change, just something extra to add to another string to my bow.

Rich
 
wee_gus

wee_gus

Well-known member
Will need a sponsor to get your PTS first.
Hi all,

Has anyone had any experience of working on the rails and or the avenues for getting into such work.

Not looking for a complete career change, just something extra to add to another string to my bow.

Rich

Nightmare mate! The rail is over flooded with guys!

I’ve been doing a few shifts with getting a temp visitors permit! But nobody willing to sponsor for pts, even said I would pay for everything and still struggle
 
K

Komatsu

Well-known member
Nightmare mate! The rail is over flooded with guys!

I’ve been doing a few shifts with getting a temp visitors permit! But nobody willing to sponsor for pts, even said I would pay for everything and still struggle
Think I’m right in saying that you only get 10 per year to use, and that’s all it is, a “Visitors permit”, they are clamping down on people using the for working.
 
D

DaveDCB

Well-known member
Being paid loads of money to do f**k all - I think that’s the length and breadth of rail work. And fill paperwork in.
My mate who isn’t a rail op but did a one off job on a rail bridge replacement got paid 4K for Xmas and Boxing Day shift on a D6(labour only!) he is the bosses son but I’d fair bet that all the lads got the same otherwise there would be a uproar! So no wonder folk want in on the rail game!!
 
J

Jimoz

Well-known member
I know nothing about the rails but treat that with a pinch of salt. If it's true he's a prat for singing about it i wouldn't be telling anyone!
 
sandy2210

sandy2210

Active member
I can believe it I was offerd silly money to work as slinger/signaller over Christmas a couple of years ago by a well known crane company working on the railways
 
D

DaveDCB

Well-known member
I know nothing about the rails but treat that with a pinch of salt. If it's true he's a prat for singing about it i wouldn't be telling anyone!
It will be true, one of my best mates who really doesn’t need to talk s**t to impress anyone. Plus don’t think he’d do it for less over Xmas lol
 
J

Jimoz

Well-known member
Well no wonder people want the ticket. Crazy as there are a lot of people who actually work Xmas day all airport and flight staff. Wonder if pilot of a plane gets 4k for a shift
 
K

Komatsu

Well-known member
Penalties on some lines at around 10k a minute for overruns, 4K for a good lad on a blade is be money well spent.
 
K

Komatsu

Well-known member
Well no wonder people want the ticket. Crazy as there are a lot of people who actually work Xmas day all airport and flight staff. Wonder if pilot of a plane gets 4k for a shift
It’s more big jobs, that get planned years in advance.
 
Danny

Danny

Well-known member
Demolition firm down here used to give £1k a day to work christmas day operator only.

Years ago i rang up a few compaines and enquired about getting PTS didnt get anywhere
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I've a couple of mates who operate R/Rs and get paid siiiiiiiiilly money ....... even the foot soldiers are on daft amounts .... but it ain't there like it was :rolleyes:
 
L

Lynchy

Well-known member
Just seen this thread,start off you need a sponsor,these days,primary sponsor n two secondary,to get pts card,you need network rail medical n drug/alcohol test,2day pts course gets you started as a 'bllue' hat,if your machine op,started with e learning then two days in class,this gets you pts,ac/dc for working overhead,or conductor rail,mostly Liverpool n London areas,work site,ici industry common induction,but still need site inductions,and olec1 allows you to access n work,as a machine op on overhead line construction sites,
Seen lots of training company's recently offering courses where they sponsor you for duration of course then you have to get work sponsor sorted
Is it worth it?
NOBODY is making the big money there was,shift times always got paid 10 hours mid week n 12 @week ends are being cut to 6/8/10,
Work at the moment is short cp6 hasn't got started,plant CO's had meeting with NR n were basically told the old days are over n work won't pick up till end of this year/'21
The supposed hs2 Bonanza won't happen,if the work goes ahead until the lines are joined it's just construction site unless your putting up ole
Most works agency,no better,probs worse than civils,at the mo money wise n working sat nights basically fucks your week end,start Monday tired so that's why it used to pay well
Loads of blokes scratching round for work,first time in 13 years I didn't work Xmas,money was shite,firm I used to work for,far n away best payers/terms on rail went bust in July,
Give it a go but don't expect much at the mo,lol the golden tickets rrv's if you do then yourself bout £3/5k
Been on job 20 years so much different now don't think I'd bother start again
£4k for Xmas n boxing day?if he's the bosses son sounds like he got the rate for machine AND driver,guarantee rest of blokes not on that
 
L

Lynchy

Well-known member
Think I’m right in saying that you only get 10 per year to use, and that’s all it is, a “Visitors permit”, they are clamping down on people using the for working.
It's 12,depends if the coss signs them in lol pita to be honest,seen us get tvp setting out engineers on piling,I've had to sign them in,trying to supervise piling n machines n some daft c..t go's walking off looking at ballast trains n ole works!
Should cut down on them,being abused were only for people to visit site or to look at job or do very specialist occasional work firms been using them to bypass pts get joiners,steel fixers machine ops on job by back door lol bloke on with big hirer of machines on Aberdeen job were told they'd have to pay for tvps !
 
Top