Wheel nuts

J

Jimoz

Changing the wheels on forklift. No grease to put on the nuts. Will it be ok to spray wd40 on nut and around thread or do I need grease?

Hydremaduck

Hydremaduck

Changing the wheels on forklift. No grease to put on the nuts. Will it be ok to spray wd40 on nut and around thread or do I need grease?
Many will say, no problem, others will say should be copper grease others will say should be bone dry. Really comes down to personnel experience. eg if you've ever struggled with ceased corroded wheel nuts you'll probably never mount a wheel again without some form of lube. By same mark, if you've ever encountered loose lubricated nuts or even witnessed loss of a wheel you maybe of the bone dry opinion.
For me, a squirt of WD40 will certainly help matters BUT that is my own personal opinion.

doobin

doobin

WD40 won't do s**t as regards lubrication. If you're worried put them back dry for now and then take them off one at a time and grease at a later date.

Antony Holmes

Antony Holmes

WD40 won't do s**t as regards lubrication. If you're worried put them back dry for now and then take them off one at a time and grease at a later date.
i am a great fan of copper slip most bolts i take out get a coating before being put back together makes life easier later

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
copper slip ....... or vaseline'd do at a pinch ... FLT nuts ain't gonna be coming off very often, so need lube-ing, as they need to be FT ;)

doobin

doobin

i am a great fan of copper slip most bolts i take out get a coating before being put back together makes life easier later

Copper slip is my go-too also.

Nostalgic story time. When I was 16 and working on the farm, I spent most of every pay packet either down the pub or at Screwfix. I had a respectable workshop by age 18, so much so that the boss used to borrow my tools. I'm gonna go back and see that old boss someday, cause I've turned out just like him. A grumpy ****, but I know my way around a workshop! I catch myself thinking 'That's what Roger would have said too!' Hope he's still alive.

Anyway. It always brings back memories when, amongst all my brand new and shiny tools, I find something I've had since the early days. Like a tin of copperslip I bought when it was half a day's money for me!! Used the last of it a couple of months back on my FLT wheel nuts after refurbing the brakes. For years it's sat in the bottom brawer, dented and missing the lid. Wish I'd cleaned it and kept it now, rather than binning it into the scrap bin!

Just gets you thinking how far you've come.

Hydremaduck

Hydremaduck

I know where your coming from in the long term effectiveness but disagree that it "won't do s**t as regards lubrication" it will certainly help during installation if there is any contamination in the threads, such as crud and or corrosion.

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Copper slip is my go-too also.

Nostalgic story time. When I was 16 and working on the farm, I spent most of every pay packet either down the pub or at Screwfix. I had a respectable workshop by age 18, so much so that the boss used to borrow my tools. I'm gonna go back and see that old boss someday, cause I've turned out just like him. A grumpy ****, but I know my way around a workshop! I catch myself thinking 'That's what Roger would have said too!' Hope he's still alive.

Anyway. It always brings back memories when, amongst all my brand new and shiny tools, I find something I've had since the early days. Like a tin of copperslip I bought when it was half a day's money for me!! Used the last of it a couple of months back on my FLT wheel nuts after refurbing the brakes. For years it's sat in the bottom brawer, dented and missing the lid. Wish I'd cleaned it and kept it now, rather than binning it into the scrap bin!

Just gets you thinking how far you've come.
my tin of copper slip must be at least 20 years old Ruben ;) :giggle:

J

Jimoz

Started something here haven't I! I had resorted to silicone grease I had in shed. Halfway thru one of the wheels had some 28mm nuts on. Can't find my socket. Went round neighbours to borrow his and he also has some copper grease. Top job now!

J

Jimoz

All done. Every nut off every wheel and greased up. Some needed a good smack with the hammer to shock them unstuck. 2 tyres changed. Was a bit tight down one side. I had a tyre here and tyre place had a part work there. 50quid for the part worn and new tube and 35 quid to swap mine and new tube. Think I got ripped off there he originally said 15 quid to swap my new for old but then price became 35 after new tube. Robbing bastard. After I took the other wheel back to get his part worn put on he said I had to take the old tyres and I told him to do one!

Should I be greasing this prop shaft it sounded a bit dry and creaky. Machine was rocking as I undid nuts!

Attachments

• IMG_6024.JPG
    IMG_6024.JPG
    207.5 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_6025.JPG
    IMG_6025.JPG
    233.8 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_6027.JPG
    IMG_6027.JPG
    190.4 KB · Views: 171
Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
This is my own personal opinion, get rid of that crappy copper slip gunk and get some nice CS90. We get though a couple of 500g tins a year. Bloody good stuff, the graphite will stop any seizing and galling. Get it on your hands a takes a few days to get it off again 😁