Westwood s1600

T whiting

T whiting

Well-known member
IMG20240602172444.jpg


I've had the axle snap on the Westwood ride on mower.

Has anyone got a source for a new gearbox/shaft before I get it stripped down?
 
Powerfab

Powerfab

Well-known member
Seemingly its not an uncommon fault.
I've seen two or three examples over the years on various outlets of the same thing happening.
I'm sure there was one where the indivdual made a repair, but I've no recollection now of what was entailed.
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I had to bush the final drive on a very old Mountfield I have as a tug (although I did build it a new deck maaaany years ago, that's never been used) ... never seen one snap off though
's a good little traccy, but whenever I want to use it I have to take the flywheel off the motor and remove the cobwebs from the points :mad::mad: ....... could do with an electronic ign. conversion
WP_20190803_14_19_37_Pro.jpg WP_20190803_14_33_33_Pro.jpg WP_20190803_14_33_41_Pro.jpg WP_20190803_14_34_38_Pro.jpg WP_20190803_17_13_44_Pro.jpg WP_20190814_13_37_07_Pro.jpg
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Seemingly its not an uncommon fault.
I've seen two or three examples over the years on various outlets of the same thing happening.
I'm sure there was one where the indivdual made a repair, but I've no recollection now of what was entailed.
looking at that blown up a bit .. is it anything like the outrigger boss on that one I bushed ? -- could you weld the shaft back together and sleeve over it, increasing the outrigger bore to compensate ?
 
T whiting

T whiting

Well-known member
18 years of my fat arse 😳.
IMG20240603160209.jpg

You can see where it's been cracked for a while.

IMG20240603165919.jpg
IMG20240603172443.jpg
IMG20240603173019.jpg


Well it's in bits now the shaft has snapped about 10mm inside the hub for the tyre so my options for a weld repair are limited.

The broken piece did not want to come out the hub it needed a fair amount of pressure in the press to get it to move.

I'll have a ring round tomorrow and see what the damage will be for a new half shaft.


IMG20240603184822.jpg
 

Attachments

  • IMG20240603184822.jpg
    IMG20240603184822.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG20240603173019.jpg
    IMG20240603173019.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG20240603172443.jpg
    IMG20240603172443.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG20240603165919.jpg
    IMG20240603165919.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 120
Top