Tractor AirCon

A

Al_1977

Member
I've got Kioti lawn tractor (DK50) its about 15yrs old, owned it myself for 3-4yrs - it's sole purpose is to cut a few acres of grass.

Every year it needs the aircon recharging, last year I sent it back to the dealer I bought it from for a full service/overhaul and asked them to check the air-con for leaks... they charged me £256+VAT for the re-charge and investigation. I got it back early August with icy cold AC, but by October I thought the performance was dropping (although not so clear as the ambient temperature had dropped due to time of year), low and behold I got her out this weekend to do a cut for the first time this year - and its completetly gone, just blowing out warm air.

Someone has mentioned to me that tractor AC can be dodgy.... although I can't fathom why that would be, as surely a closed gas system is a closed gas system - if it loses gas then there must be a leak??? However, I've had many vehicles with AC, but it's the only tractor I've ever owned, so have no experience.

Is there something I'm missing?
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I've got Kioti lawn tractor (DK50) its about 15yrs old, owned it myself for 3-4yrs - it's sole purpose is to cut a few acres of grass.
Every year it needs the aircon recharging, last year I sent it back to the dealer I bought it from for a full service/overhaul and asked them to check the air-con for leaks... they charged me £256+VAT for the re-charge and investigation. I got it back early August with icy cold AC, but by October I thought the performance was dropping (although not so clear as the ambient temperature had dropped due to time of year), low and behold I got her out this weekend to do a cut for the first time this year - and its completetly gone, just blowing out warm air.
Someone has mentioned to me that tractor AC can be dodgy.... although I can't fathom why that would be, as surely a closed gas system is a closed gas system - if it loses gas then there must be a leak??? However, I've had many vehicles with AC, but it's the only tractor I've ever owned, so have no experience.
Is there something I'm missing?
most probably the 'seal' at the compressor shaft, where the pulley is mounted ... most common fault is the seal lips wear (I don't mean it is literally missing;)) and yon gas escapes ... my air con guy adds a fluorescent dye in a charge so he can look for the leaks with a UV light, when it escapes :rolleyes:
 
S

Smiffy

Well-known member
Aircon needs to be used on a regular basis to keep the seals from drying out. As tractors have an off season this regularly happens and once dry they need all the seals replacing. I've driven a few tractors with factory fitted stickers saying run Aircon once a month. The other problem with tractors is due to the ratio of glass to cab volume they require a lot of cooling therefore it is far more obvious when the Aircon isn't working 100%
 
D

DaveDCB

Well-known member
I’d say it’s not 100% right, or it’s just a crap ac system!
none of my kit with aircon stops working after winter, all jcb and John deere!
 
D

Diggerdavey

Well-known member
Nitrogen pressure test at max system operating pressure for minimum of two hours. Under F gas regulations no one should recharge a system suspected of leaking. Nitrogen pressure test with sniffer and or gas leak detection spray will soon prove a leak in capable hands
 
T

topkit

Well-known member
My trusty old Ford 5610's Air con has never failed, every summer I take both doors off and open up the rear window and the air rushes through the cab its lovely! Jokes apart they should be able to do a leak test it's bound to be a perished "O" ring as previously mentioned they dry out if you do not use the air con.
 
Last edited:
A

Al_1977

Member
Thanks for the advise people... I hadn't consiered the time the thing is laid up for would have that sort of effect - especially on an older machine.
 
Top