Terex TA9 battery, long shot….

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Well-known member
Bit of a niche question, does anyone know the correct battery fitment for a TEREX TA9 dumper? The original is long gone and whats in there is certainly not correct. Anyone whos knows them knows what an arse of a thing it is to get to!

Anyone know what should be in there? Or know where to look to find out? Google hasn’t helped….

Thanks
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Bit of a niche question, does anyone know the correct battery fitment for a TEREX TA9 dumper? The original is long gone and whats in there is certainly not correct. Anyone whos knows them knows what an arse of a thing it is to get to!

Anyone know what should be in there? Or know where to look to find out? Google hasn’t helped….

Thanks
I presume it's not an easy one to measure up then James?
 
Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Well-known member
I presume it's not an easy one to measure up then James?
It’s a pure arse to get to, under the footplate. It’s also out on site, so not exactly to hand. But I guess going and having a look and measuring it is going to be the way.
What it really wants is another battery box making and a 663 sticking on it so it’s the same as everything else! Which was actually my plan, but I think it’s going up for sale soon so it needs a new battery in the OE position and that’s that.
 
Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Well-known member
Can you see the make and part number, and pole orientation? Any motor factors could match it from that.
Original battery is long gone unfortunately. The one currently in it is not the right size, or at least not quite as big as you could fit.
 
Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Well-known member
id go as big as you can get in it. i have a good few ta9 in il see if one has the floor pan lifted. Lads hate them for that reason
Thanks, much appreciated if you can.
Who ever designed that machine with the battery located under the footplate in such a way, obviously didn’t like humanity….

I always intended to fit a 663 in a new location, no chance of fitting one under the footplate iirc, but as said, I think I will be selling it so I‘ve not got the enthusiasm for messing about fitting a different battery tbh. A nice new OE fitment battery will suffice.
 
Last edited:
Mick-the-fitter

Mick-the-fitter

It’s what I do!
It’s a pure arse to get to, under the footplate. It’s also out on site, so not exactly to hand. But I guess going and having a look and measuring it is going to be the way.
What it really wants is another battery box making and a 663 sticking on it so it’s the same as everything else! Which was actually my plan, but I think it’s going up for sale soon so it needs a new battery in the OE position and that’s that.
I vaguely recall they were a 643 but yes they were a crap place to get to
 
Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
We have a JCB 729 under the footplate of our Terex 5 ton dumper. Have fitted a few of them Batteries don't last long in her, seems to pull it down all the time. Even sitting for a couple weeks and it needs jumped, and that's with a fully functional battery isolator 😣
 
B

bobthebuilder

Well-known member
We have a JCB 729 under the footplate of our Terex 5 ton dumper. Have fitted a few of them Batteries don't last long in her, seems to pull it down all the time. Even sitting for a couple weeks and it needs jumped, and that's with a fully functional battery isolator 😣
had to put an isolator on mine ,has cured the problem
 
Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
had to put an isolator on mine ,has cured the problem
I've even replaced the isolator thinking it's not been working but just can't work out why it's always going flat. Plus the front offside tyre has been loosing pressure for the last few years, keep having to pump her up every few months.
 
Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Well-known member
I can take a look at my Thwaites 9T dumper tomorrow and see what battery that has on it if its of any use
Pretty sure the Thwaites designers had more sense though, if it’s the same as my Thwaites 6t…..
Thanks for the offer, it’s just about what fits the Terex as it’s so restricted.
 
Mick-the-fitter

Mick-the-fitter

It’s what I do!
I've even replaced the isolator thinking it's not been working but just can't work out why it's always going flat. Plus the front offside tyre has been loosing pressure for the last few years, keep having to pump her up every few months.
Make sure there is good insulation on the battery posts and they are all clean, the Terex Batteries aren’t situated in a great place!
 
B

bobthebuilder

Well-known member
I've even replaced the isolator thinking it's not been working but just can't work out why it's always going flat. Plus the front offside tyre has been loosing pressure for the last few years, keep having to pump her up every few months.
rear tyre on mine ,very slow puncture,very annoying
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
rear tyre on mine ,very slow puncture,very annoying
very ... and damned difficult to find, without a good size puddle to park it in, progressively .... could try changing the valves ? they're often the culprits for very slow leaks
 
Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Well-known member
I can tell you Terex part number is 8000-4988. One spec sheet says 100AH, another mentions 850cca. I suspect that would make it an 019 battery but could be wrong!
Well done @pettsy , 019 is the job. I did find that part number myself, but didn’t think that helped….
How did you arrive at an 019? Educated guess or did you have a list to search through to narrow it down?
I used to have a really handy list from JCB, for batteries, but I’ve not seen it in a while!
I actually ended up visiting the site the machine is on today, so I took the opportunity to have a measure up. Sure enough an 019 will fit, and is probably the OE size I’d say. You could possibly squeeze something slightly bigger in, but that would take some searching I reckon, if it’s even possible….
I know chucking on a 663 that I’ve already got is not an option, annoyingly…
Anyway, 019 100ah 900a battery ordered 👍

Thanks all for the help and suggestions.
 
pettsy

pettsy

Well-known member
Well done @pettsy , 019 is the job. I did find that part number myself, but didn’t think that helped….
How did you arrive at an 019? Educated guess or did you have a list to search through to narrow it down?

I could tell you it’s the years of plant experience….but that’s not true 🤣 Found a couple of manuals on google that told me the AH and CCA then googled them both and that matched an 019 battery 😉🤣
 
Top