Shareplant website

Gunners

Gunners

Well-known member
Just been told about this new website (maybe not that new but new to me) where you can post your plant for operated or self drive hire. Looks like another decent potential free advertising mechanism for an owner operator.
The fun part though is it has prices.... and Rory will enjoy what some people are putting stuff out for. It would actually make quite a good quiz. Then you realise the prices INCLUDE vat!!!! o_O
Anyway here's the link.
 
Gunners

Gunners

Well-known member
Ooo I didn't realise that. So thats a cheap price, 20% cheaper because it includes vat. Then they take 15% off again!
So that 8t machine with tiltrotator and operator at £37/hr is actually £30+vat which by the time you take off the commission is then down to £26/hr.
Now thats cheap!
 
JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
Ooo I didn't realise that. So thats a cheap price, 20% cheaper because it includes vat. Then they take 15% off again!
So that 8t machine with tiltrotator and operator at £37/hr is actually £30+vat which by the time you take off the commission is then down to £26/hr.
Now thats cheap!

I'm always cynical about these websites.... A few years back someone was putting together a "Free" listings website in a very similar fashion.... 12 months later you where automatically signed up for a premium package.... only about £50 a year which If I had been asked I would probably of gone for.... But I was'nt so Off we f***ed 😂
 
Grahams

Grahams

Don't complain - suggest what's better
Just had a look and the nearest to me is a Doosan 3t which I can have within the hour for £70 per day inc VAT. I’m almost tempted to see if they can get it to me within the hour. I can’t think it is a good plan to put out an excavator on self drive for only £50 per day after you take off the vat and commission.
 
Gunners

Gunners

Well-known member
Hes given up being an owner operator thought you buy an engcon and the work comes to you?
I don't know Scott or how he operated his business but if you just want to sit in the cab you wont get very far. Like you, me, Rory and others on here have found, getting out occasionally gets you hired longer. It sets you apart from the competition and justifys a higher rate. Exactly as the tiltrotator does for me, and the Idig, and my stupid hard hat 🤪 👷‍♂️
Simply having all the kit doesn't make you a good person to hire. Its all about attitude in my opinion.

As for this website, its clearly a sack of s**t, apologies for not reading into it more. 15% for doing nothing is a very strong margin and one I wish I could consistently get doing groundwork. Its a brilliant modern day business and they can f**k right off with it out of our industry!
 
B

Brendan

Well-known member
Just seems to be middlemen everywhere taking a percentage for nothing.
That site is literally everything that is wrong with plant hire whether it's self drive or operated. It's just a race to the bottom
 
Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Well-known member
Just seems to be middlemen everywhere taking a percentage for nothing.
That site is literally everything that is wrong with plant hire whether it's self drive or operated. It's just a race to the bottom
Agreed, nearest one to me is what looks like a decent CAT 3T for 240 Inc Vat a week. Might as well pay me to have it. Insanity. Then again might be handy for them "one of those jobs" 🤦
 
Gunners

Gunners

Well-known member
I've found someone going out for £170/day with a 1.5t and operator. I could pay him and sit on my arse at home earning more than him for that. Maybe that's my next "do f**k all" business idea....
You know what this website lacks, a "sort by" button, preferably by idiots first... sorry, cheapest first. My bad 😆

Its a shame because I recognise some people on there and its good to see they are the more expensive ones. But that 15% commission has got to hurt.
 
JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
Its a shame because I recognise some people on there and its good to see they are the more expensive ones. But that 15% commission has got to hurt.

They probably don't even realize.....

Also Ollie did you know your member 69🤣
 
doobin

doobin

Well-known member
Mini digger guys tend to be morons. It’s really that simple. It’s like logs- a trade with a low entry barrier.
Present company excepted obviously.
 
JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
Thing is they will suffer the first day or whatever with the hope you ring them direct afterwards.
I'm waiting for the local mongs to appear for nothing with 13 tonners.... I think it will be funny to put them bulking muckwagons for a few weeks with 15% of there funds off to shareplant 😂
 
D

DaveDCB

Well-known member
To be honest, if 15% off a single days hire gains you a genuine decent life long customer I don’t see it as a bad price to pay? Obviously if all your work is through them then your going to be out of pocket.
I used to do sub contracting for afew local plant companies, I rung them when I was quiet and generally speaking they’d find me work within a day or so, I gave a slight discount but it was easy work and got paid every time. No brainer.
 
Mark

Mark

Well-known member
Don’t really see how they can in force the %15 for plant share, if your posting you rate and your company details wouldn’t you just pick up the phone and cut out the middle man ?
 
Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
Don’t really see how they can in force the %15 for plant share, if your posting you rate and your company details wouldn’t you just pick up the phone and cut out the middle man ?
I don't know if it's the same thing but employment agencies have some kind of contract drawn up so if you employ an individual outwith their scope they get a percentage anyway 😶
 
B

Brendan

Well-known member
They'll probably have some sort of introduction charge in their contract, idea is flawed as unlike other agency stuff, your actually seeing the company advertising so could just skip them out
 
Gunners

Gunners

Well-known member
They'll probably have some sort of introduction charge in their contract, idea is flawed as unlike other agency stuff, your actually seeing the company advertising so could just skip them out
My guess is its aimed at the general public as prices include vat. And they have a buy it now button to book them which is the only way they can tie them down really. Its very similar to the builders sites where the public can post a job up and builders have to PAY!!! to quote for the work with no guarantee they will win.
 
Top