Septic tank drainage field

S

Smiffy

Well-known member
Someone posted up a pdf a while back detailing drainage field specs for septic tanks.
Has anyone still got it or the regs on septic tanks and soakaway systems?
 
6

6feetdown

Well-known member
Someone posted up a pdf a while back detailing drainage field specs for septic tanks.
Has anyone still got it or the regs on septic tanks and soakaway systems?
Trial assessment hole 1st followed by percolation tests are your 1st job.
Everything is determined by those results
 
S

Smiffy

Well-known member
Trial assessment hole 1st followed by percolation tests are your 1st job.
Everything is determined by those results

I know I need the percolation test but don't know what to do with the results. We install lots of treatment plants but never septic tanks and we always discharge in a ditch so I have never been involved with soakaway based systems. The pdf I'm thinking of detailed the design and spec of the drainage field.

It's an existing system that previously had a rubble based soakaway that has failed. And having always just installed new systems I'm not sure if anything can be done with it.
 
B

bobthebuilder

Well-known member
last one we did ,perculation tests first ,online guidance ,and then when the building inspector was up looking at something else we discucussed the size of perc field ,he did his calculation and we put in the field to suit
 
D

DaveDCB

Well-known member
It’s all in the building regs document, download it and just follow that.
If it’s failed you need to start again anyway
 
6

6feetdown

Well-known member
I know I need the percolation test but don't know what to do with the results. We install lots of treatment plants but never septic tanks and we always discharge in a ditch so I have never been involved with soakaway based systems. The pdf I'm thinking of detailed the design and spec of the drainage field.

It's an existing system that previously had a rubble based soakaway that has failed. And having always just installed new systems I'm not sure if anything can be done with it.
Pretty straight forward.
Message me your email address and I'll send you a spreadsheet I knocked up that will calculate it for you
 
Left hooker

Left hooker

Well-known member
Most of the ground down here is fairly the same so normally it's down to the size of property and how many are using it as to what the total length of drainage is required so smaller 2 person tanks can just be over 30 linear meters and larger ones up to 90m
 
6

6feetdown

Well-known member
Most of the ground down here is fairly the same so normally it's down to the size of property and how many are using it as to what the total length of drainage is required so smaller 2 person tanks can just be over 30 linear meters and larger ones up to 90m
1 we are just finishing 90m
 
D

DaveDCB

Well-known member
used to hate doing percolation tests on new sites!
Lost count of how many times the idiotic surveyor would go around getting me to do the trail holes then last off say of we are doing a perc test now! 🤦‍♂️ cue waiting around even longer!
 
6

6feetdown

Well-known member
used to hate doing percolation tests on new sites!
Lost count of how many times the idiotic surveyor would go around getting me to do the trail holes then last off say of we are doing a perc test now! 🤦‍♂️ cue waiting around even longer!
Min 3 fills per hole is supposed to be
 
Furniss

Furniss

Well-known member
Indépendant firms do them here, then produce a report detailing system to be installed...includes levels etc
We then price from it - theory being if we install to their exact plan then its on them.
In theory... (never been tested yet thankfully)
 
D

DaveDCB

Well-known member
Indépendant firms do them here, then produce a report detailing system to be installed...includes levels etc
We then price from it - theory being if we install to their exact plan then its on them.
In theory... (never been tested yet thankfully)
I used to do the trial holes for a handful of companies like that, it’s the best job you can get on a 3CX.. dig a few deep holes, take samples, backfill, sign up for 8hrs plus travel - normally home for lunch(if no perc test!!) and get out on the bike in the afternoon….. no such jobs anymore haha!
 
Furniss

Furniss

Well-known member
I used to do the trial holes for a handful of companies like that, it’s the best job you can get on a 3CX.. dig a few deep holes, take samples, backfill, sign up for 8hrs plus travel - normally home for lunch(if no perc test!!) and get out on the bike in the afternoon….. no such jobs anymore haha!
Occasionally I go with a mini for the guy I use but most of the time done with a hand tool and the report contains samples from around the site like so.
1000015333.jpg
1000015332.jpg
 
Top