One piece Land Rover doortops

Canal Navvy

Canal Navvy

Well-known member
My faithful old chariot has the one piece (often referred to as military) door tops, the studs have rusted out and I've bought stainless steel replacements.
Has anyone on here got any experience or tips on how best to do the job ? 🤔
 
M

Monkeybusiness

Well-known member
My faithful old chariot has the one piece (often referred to as military) door tops, the studs have rusted out and I've bought stainless steel replacements.
Has anyone on here got any experience or tips on how best to do the job ? 🤔
Take the whole thing (drive if possible, but probably tow/trailer) to the nearest Toyota garage and come back with a Hilux.
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
My faithful old chariot has the one piece (often referred to as military) door tops, the studs have rusted out and I've bought stainless steel replacements.
Has anyone on here got any experience or tips on how best to do the job ? 🤔
are you talking series door top halves ... unbolt and chuck in the back when the sun's out???
 
Canal Navvy

Canal Navvy

Well-known member
are you talking series door top halves ... unbolt and chuck in the back when the sun's out???

Talking about early 110 tops, extruded aluminium welded construction factory fitted to series 111 door bottoms I believe. So yes unbolt, chuck in the back 🙂

Really nice doors but not surprisingly the steel studs do corrode after a mere 40 years 😉
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Talking about early 110 tops, extruded aluminium welded construction factory fitted to series 111 door bottoms I believe. So yes unbolt, chuck in the back 🙂

Really nice doors but not surprisingly the steel studs do corrode after a mere 40 years 😉
with the slash cut slidey windows, instead of the square, verticals in conventional series tops ?
 
Canal Navvy

Canal Navvy

Well-known member
Jacksons? Old rocket site, Misson ... ex army spares seller

My tops look almost as good as they came out of the factory apart from the rusted off studs. I was sort of hoping that someone on here (a trusted source 😉) had been there before.

I did look for new tops and they are hideously expensive as ex military stock and newly made.
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
My tops look almost as good as they came out of the factory apart from the rusted off studs. I was sort of hoping that someone on here (a trusted source 😉) had been there before.

I did look for new tops and they are hideously expensive as ex military stock and newly made.
no idea sadly ... are they not screwed into bosses in the frames? ..... 's a long time since I removed a series door top, 'cos the sun was shining :rolleyes:
 
M

Monkeybusiness

Well-known member
.? You been looking at someone’s half-finished project?
The 79 series Land Cruiser has a wider track on the front axle than the rear - they had to put a different front axle on them when they started fitting the big V8 diesel but left the rear axle as it was(?!?!). Apparently it can make handling in sand or ruts a bit ‘interesting’ - you can fit wheels with different offsets to accommodate but then need two different spares.
I’d still love one though, they are the dogs bollox!
 
Bri963

Bri963

Well-known member
I’ve only had anything to do with the straight 6 diesels, they had two matched axles. Interesting about the V8, so the front axle is wider than the rear? As you say, the 70’s and early 100’s were unmatched. I had plenty of experience with both in Africa, and they were far and away the most capable performers out in the bush.
 
Canal Navvy

Canal Navvy

Well-known member
The 79 series Land Cruiser has a wider track on the front axle than the rear - they had to put a different front axle on them when they started fitting the big V8 diesel but left the rear axle as it was(?!?!). Apparently it can make handling in sand or ruts a bit ‘interesting’ - you can fit wheels with different offsets to accommodate but then need two different spares.
I’d still love one though, they are the dogs bollox!

You'd almost think that the engineers from Solihull developed a taste for sushi 😆
 
Canal Navvy

Canal Navvy

Well-known member
You'd almost think that the engineers from Solihull developed a taste for sushi 😆

No doubt sent over to find a good reason why Isuzu couldn't be used in the Australian Land Rovers and went native 🤣
 
Top