Oil for Case 580G

vintage580

vintage580

Not sure if 35 years is old enough for the vintage and classic section of the forum. But the recommended oils in the handbook are now obsolete also. After a bit of an online search for today's modern equivalent of 1980's Case spec TCH fluid for transmission and hydraulics, I have decided to use Morris oil's agrimax HY in the old digger. I have only one minor leak in one of the locking rams for the side shift of the back hoe, so far. Has anyone else had any problems with new oil in old machines? I would like to hear before I start draining oil. Any tips on changing oil in the transmission would be appreciated, thanks.

IMG_2408.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2409.JPG
    IMG_2409.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 114
C

charlie2

from memory the torque converter and power shuttle used a different oil to the gearbox/back axle the torque/shuttle may have been atf we had case poclain do all big services and repairs, engine oil and filter done by ourselves.

C

charlie2

hytran or something like that rings a bell to me?

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
from memory the torque converter and power shuttle used a different oil to the gearbox/back axle the torque/shuttle may have been atf we had case poclain do all big services and repairs, engine oil and filter done by ourselves.
need to be sure on whether it's Dexron free or not ...... Had the TC and box re-con,ed in my Rapier and the guys who did it were insistent on using Dexron free and nothing but.

C

charlie2

Try Morris oils they have an oil selector for off road equipment just input machine details and all oil needed for each component comes up.
E6C934DC-DFF4-4B3A-B901-0DB57CDD7C04.png

C

charlie2

I drove a 1982 580g when that model first came out it had the black cab, on that model the shuttle/torque converter seemed a weak point in the machine ours lost drive twice in the six years we had it, I think later models like yours had updated shuttle and torque converter, both times ours went the oil was black and smelt burnt. The fitter at the time said it was fairly common problem on early 580g.

vintage580

vintage580

Thanks charlie2 lots of useful info there, looks like I have to go shopping for gear oil now too. In other news the alternator light and hydraulic filter light on the dash have started working as well as the low engine oil pressure light.

Gecko

Gecko

In other news the alternator light and hydraulic filter light on the dash have started working as well as the low engine oil pressure light.
"Working" as in lighting when the engine is stopped
or
"Working", as in lighting when you are using it?

The Alternator lamp is rather essential as the current through the lamp serves to excite the field winding. If the globe is blown, you won't charge your battery.

vintage580

vintage580

'Working' only when the key is switched on before starting. As it should I think, goes off after starting the engine. Alternator works ok too.