Shovelhands
Well-known member
Does anyone know what a healthy voltage should be on Lister engine with a Nisca charging system? Like what should I be seeing across the battery terminals?
thanks
thanks
Hmm, that’s what I’ve got on most of mine. But one is up at 16.6 ish and eventually cooking the batteries.
This has absolutely nothing running from the battery once the engine is running. But seeing variations in voltage and twice now seen it sitting at 16.6v after running for a while. Swapping the charge control box has not made any difference.If I remember they are just a trickle charge anyway, just to recharge the battery after starting, problems started when lights were added to dumpers! I think they chucked out about 13.2 v just enough!
is there any separate regulator on it anywhere James ? in addition to the rectifier packThis has absolutely nothing running from the battery once the engine is running. But seeing variations in voltage and twice now seen it sitting at 16.6v after running for a while. Swapping the charge control box has not made any difference.
some good suggestions there, will take a lookHave you checked you have a good earth to the engine as well as the starter motor, if the engine is pretty clean trace the wiring to the generator windings check for circuit continuity, but also check leakage, put an ohm meter on one winding wire end and the other on the engine, if you get any reading at all the windings are rubbed out, melted or degraded enough to track out, this sort of damage will give intermittent voltage variations ( nothing that the regulator can regulate)
Well she’s pretty oily….Another issue with this type of generator is that diesel and oil may break down the adhesive that the magnets on the flywheel are glued on with, the magnets then stick to other magnets or metal parts and cause a charging issue.
It was a broken wire I repaired, that released the smoke genie.I’ve just checked it, appears that I have good continuity on the generator windings and nothing is going to ground on that side of it. So I’m guessing the windings are fine. Intrigued about this idea that the magnets are coming off and moving, but obviously that’s a big ish job to investigate.
Have a dodgy looking wire from the box to the ignition switch, I will renew it, but I don’t think it’s actually broken, so not got high hopes for that being a fix?
I will try that, thanks. Right pain in the arse getting a meter on the wires in situ, but I’m sure I will find a way.I did one once where the magnets had come unstuck and all moved together so very out of balance and not charging, if you have continuity check ac output without the regulator in situ, 26 -36 volts AC if I remember.
I had one, when looking why it was overcharging, also it was discharging while off, it released the smoke genie, solved both those problemsonly problem was it made a new fault....not charging
Control box was at fault imo, but never bothered fixing it after.