Lift Tig

Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Well-known member
As per title being playing with my new esab this week trying lift Tig.. sh*t it's hard...maybe I'm just dumb but has anyone got any tips?
Pure Argon on plain mild steel. With 2.4 tip.
Wire prob tad thin but all I had with places shut.
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
As per title being playing with my new esab this week trying lift Tig.. sh*t it's hard...maybe I'm just dumb but has anyone got any tips?
Pure Argon on plain mild steel. With 2.4 tip.
Wire prob tad thin but all I had with places shut.
should only need pure Ar on S/steel, ali, etc. ........ IIRC Argoshield light (5%) should do for MS (and 1/2 price of Ar)?? @Quattromike ??? ..... very long time since I picked up a TIG torch and only on SS/ali

LL remember rule no 1 for a good weld of any description ....... be comfortable ..... not hanging by your toe nails/whatever -- only when you have to ;)
 
Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
Aye pure argon works well with mild steel, I've never used a mix unless it's with the mig. Plus not worth having 2 bottle hires for occasional use. What thickness is your parent metal? As ever prep is key, clean set up gives clean welds, I would start with 140amps an 12/14 LPM on the gas. Tip out past the ceramic 3/5 mm, Also it scratch start so you want a slight arc motion to touch down and lift a few mm clear to start the arc, you don't want to be stabbing in as it can knacker the point of tungsten, red tip for mild steel.
Strike your arc get a weld pool going and dip the rod into the weld pool
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Aye pure argon works well with mild steel, I've never used a mix unless it's with the mig. Plus not worth having 2 bottle hires for occasional use. What thickness is your parent metal? As ever prep is key, clean set up gives clean welds, I would start with 140amps an 12/14 LPM on the gas. Tip out past the ceramic 3/5 mm, Also it scratch start so you want a slight arc motion to touch down and lift a few mm clear to start the arc, you don't want to be stabbing in as it can knacker the point of tungsten, red tip for mild steel.
Strike your arc get a weld pool going and dip the rod into the weld pool
exactly ..... LL has a MIG and if only using TIG on MS :rolleyes:
 
Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Well-known member
Aye pure argon works well with mild steel, I've never used a mix unless it's with the mig. Plus not worth having 2 bottle hires for occasional use. What thickness is your parent metal? As ever prep is key, clean set up gives clean welds, I would start with 140amps an 12/14 LPM on the gas. Tip out past the ceramic 3/5 mm, Also it scratch start so you want a slight arc motion to touch down and lift a few mm clear to start the arc, you don't want to be stabbing in as it can knacker the point of tungsten, red tip for mild steel.
Strike your arc get a weld pool going and dip the rod into the weld pool
Thanks 👍
 
Top