JCB 85Z Bucket pins

Grahams

Grahams

Don't complain - suggest what's better
I'm looking to make a carrier attachment to be picked up by a JCB 85Z. Does anyone have the pin sizes, dipper width and pin centre measurements?
Thanks
Graham
 
Gunners

Gunners

Well-known member
I'm looking to make a carrier attachment to be picked up by a JCB 85Z. Does anyone have the pin sizes, dipper width and pin centre measurements?
Thanks
Graham
@Shovelhands is the man for this but I do know they are 3cx size whatever that is. I'm not going to say 45mm pins because they aren't!
 
Grahams

Grahams

Don't complain - suggest what's better
Pin size of 45mm is the only dimension they give on the website. No centres or widths.
 
CPS

CPS

Well-known member
45mm pins (1-3/4") to be precise if it is being directly mounted to the machine 343mm centers and 170mm dipper width
 
D

DaveDCB

Well-known member
But aren’t they more like a 44.45mm pin size if quoting metric, i ordered up some 45mm bar to weld in aload of buckets once.. they fit onto a 3cx quick hitch but were bloody tight to get on/off! Lesson learnt!
 
Grahams

Grahams

Don't complain - suggest what's better
45mm pins (1-3/4") to be precise if it is being directly mounted to the machine 343mm centers and 170mm dipper width
I'm looking to pick it up on a standard JCB quick hitch. I assume it will be the same dimensions. Is that correct?
 
D

DaveDCB

Well-known member
I'm looking to pick it up on a standard JCB quick hitch. I assume it will be the same dimensions. Is that correct?
As far as standard goes with jcb - / 8060 / 8080 / 55/56/57 / 3cx& 4cx / 85 / 100c and many many in between all have the same bucket dims ie ‘3CX’ fitment. Unless explicitly specified otherwise the occasional model did have an option to have a model specific size bucket/hitch but it’s super rare and I doubt anyone ever even ticked that option!
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Pin size of 45mm is the only dimension they give on the website. No centres or widths.
1-3/4" pin, 13" ctrs, 6.5" width between spring bushes (top hats) -- 165+mm between cheeks on 3CX
 
Grahams

Grahams

Don't complain - suggest what's better
Now I'm completly confused. Everyone has slightly different measurements. Hadn't been a problem in the past if the pin width was sufficient I could pick up the top hat I had with any 8t machine as the hitches had enough movement to pick up multiple centres. Unfortunately, a JCB 85 came out on a job last year with a JCB hitch that only picked up their centres. The rest of the machines in their fleet also had JCB hitches, but picked up multiple centres. It was a bit chaos at the time and I didn't think to measure it before swapping it over, but I don't want the same issue again. I was away, so can't just call round to measure it myself.
 
CPS

CPS

Well-known member
Now I'm completly confused. Everyone has slightly different measurements. Hadn't been a problem in the past if the pin width was sufficient I could pick up the top hat I had with any 8t machine as the hitches had enough movement to pick up multiple centres. Unfortunately, a JCB 85 came out on a job last year with a JCB hitch that only picked up their centres. The rest of the machines in their fleet also had JCB hitches, but picked up multiple centres. It was a bit chaos at the time and I didn't think to measure it before swapping it over, but I don't want the same issue again. I was away, so can't just call round to measure it myself.
If you follow my measurements you will be fine.
1-3/4" pins (45mm will work on most hitches but if its a genuine JCB hitch then I suggest 1-3/4" as 45mm may just be a bit tight.) 170mm dipper width and 343mm centres.

This is the sizes I use for genuine JCB hitches
 
Gecko

Gecko

Well-known member
Sorry - I added to the confusion.

1-3/4" = 44.45mm Pin diam
13.5" = 343mm Pin C-C
6.6" = 168mm Bucket cheek clearance

The cheek clearance is the least critical and needs to be the hitch width plus some air to allow for pickup.
I'm 'off-site', so can't measure, but assume the hitch width is 6.5" (165mm)
If you are going to use the JCB top hat bushes, you'll need to allow an extra ~10mm clearance.
 
Top