JCB 3cx White Cab

C

Claysonboy

Hi All
Newbie here
JCB 3cx project, bought a 1982 white cab, BMC498 engine, many leaking rams-
I could use some experienced advice,
Am trying to work through the rams slowly myself, seal kits not expensive, so the steering ram was easy, the backactor bucket ram fair enough, but the back actor main boom ram very difficult.
Biggest problem is opening the cap of gland i think it is referred to as, this older 3cx has 2 punch holes, rather than the large nut system on newer 3cx’s, afraid i let myself down and used chisel and lump hammer, so the punch holes are now craters,
But my question is whether the nut type glands/cap on the rod end from a black or grey cab 3cx ran would fit my machine, ie- is it otherwise the same ram
Again- early learning centre here very grateful for all guidance
Oh yes why do i want to do this myself, i work in a city office job and despite the struggle this work can be and my f… ups, this type of mechanical work i find unbelievably enjoyable, probably addictive, it takes my mind a million miles from my day job, and summer jobs on these machines put me thru uni. While i could drive them - i always wanted to fix them
Thank you
CB

T whiting

T whiting

The first thing you need to do is buy a set of c spanners before you mangle anything else there not overly expensive and make stripping rams much easier.

You can knock up your own spanner with a piece of scrap and a grinder

Once the seals are out of the cap you might be able to square up the notches on the cap with a grinder /die grinder I've no idea if the caps are the same but a new replacement the same isn't difficult to tighten with the right tools

S

Smiffy

The first thing you need to do is buy a set of c spanners before you mangle anything else there not overly expensive and make stripping rams much easier.

You can knock up your own spanner with a piece of scrap and a grinder

Once the seals are out of the cap you might be able to square up the notches on the cap with a grinder /die grinder I've no idea if the caps are the same but a new replacement the same isn't difficult to tighten with the right tools

Probably fill them in with weld a re drill if you have access to a pillar drill and welder

C

Claysonboy

Thanks Guys, but i think i might have rogered the treading on the glands/cap, hence my question about changing the glands piece, but yes time fro the c-spinners!

Gunners

Gunners

There's a really good group on facebook for these older 3cx's called vintage jcb machines. Not a lot that's not known on there, worth joining

C

Claysonboy

Mick-the-fitter- thank you, serial number is 295444, much appreciated
Gunners - facebook page looks good, will join
Thanks mf

Mick-the-fitter

Mick-the-fitter

It’s what I do!
There seems to be a digit missing does it have a dash number (3CX-4 etc) or a 0 beginning or end?

C

Claysonboy

Mick - Sorry - L295444, the missing “L” - thanks so much for your help

Mick-the-fitter

Mick-the-fitter

It’s what I do!
Give me the whole lot, the serial doesn’t work! I will sort through the numbers and letters

C

Claysonboy

Maybe i am mistake, Mick, but the serial number is definitely 295444, for example that’s what i use when looking for spares when local supplier who is brilliant and uses this number to search for details. If you look at Vicary plant website, who for example have a 1980 3cx white cab and are quoting serial number 290253……….
Thanks for trying though

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Probably fill them in with weld a re drill if you have access to a pillar drill and welder
just drill two new ones at 90 to the old ones- -- i.e. 6 and 12 / 3 and 9 o'clock ;) this is me thwaites steering ram that someone'd obviously been into b4
I hate un necessary loctite in gland caps
WP_20150322_16_08_52_Pro.jpg WP_20150322_17_27_25_Pro.jpg WP_20150322_17_27_33_Pro.jpg
WP_20150322_17_52_08_Pro.jpg WP_20150323_13_32_18_Pro.jpg WP_20150323_13_32_23_Pro.jpg
WP_20150323_13_35_21_Pro.jpg WP_20150323_14_09_42_Pro.jpg WP_20150323_14_13_16_Pro.jpgWP_20150323_14_18_12_Pro.jpgWP_20150323_14_19_33_Pro.jpg WP_20150323_14_21_53_Pro.jpg