How to get in to plant fitting?

R

Russell

Well-known member
I'm not a spring chicken but want a career change. I've always worked in the building trade but would like to change to plant fitter as it would be a better fit for my interests. Also it would help me get where I want to be which would be a new life in Oz.
I'm currently working for myself part time which allows me to look after my young son and do the school run whilst doing up the house. In a couple of years I could go out and work full time.
My local college used to do a welding course and does do a car mechanic course. Is there any value in doing either or both of these? I say that because any plant fitting training would take me off the island so there will be extra cost involved whilst not earning. I'm not moaning just trying to come up with the best plan of attack which would give the necessary qualifications/paperwork/experience I would need for Australia.
 
T whiting

T whiting

Well-known member
Fix someone else's piece of plant and don't charge the earth and be clean and tidy and do a good job then they'll start rolling in. You could probably do it alongside doing some construction work while you get going
 
jd6820

jd6820

Well-known member
Think I'd be looking for a local firm to get going with and they will sort the training. I'd work on four years to get good enough to have seen most jobs and be confident to walk into another firm/opportunity. You'll know in first month of work if the job is for you, if it isn't I'd look at another career cause the pay ain't good enough for you not to enjoy the job. Any questions just ask. I've been on the spanners a while now and mainly stick to the electrical side. Been self employed for 10 years plus. Got to the point where I pick and choose the jobs.
 
D

DaveDCB

Well-known member
Personally I wouldn’t be waiting I’d get myself out to aus, go sooner rather than later ! it’s a lot easier said than done mind you! I’ve afew friends who have gone with their uk company and never come back(that’s the easiest way as they do everything)
 
Top