Hi from Argyll

R

Rocky Horror

Hi everyone, since building our house four years ago, my patience for using spade and pick axe finally came to an end. It's a large garden built on very steep and rocky ground with poor drainage, so eventually I gave in and bought a 2005 JCB 8014. Although far from trouble free, it's far easier and less back breaking, and less expensive in the long run than hiring. I hope to be able to pick the brains of those more knowledgeable for keeping it ticking smoothly.

Bri963

Bri963

Welcome to the forum, Rocky. Keep an eye on the top rollers, final drives, bushes etc. as well as normal maintenance. Don’t skimp on anythiing. Don’t be too put off by the inevitable opinions about JCB on here. Opinions are like backsides - everybody has one but some smell worse than others. :)

R

Rocky Horror

Welcome to the forum, Rocky. Keep an eye on the top rollers, final drives, bushes etc. as well as normal maintenance. Don’t skimp on anythiing. Don’t be too put off by the inevitable opinions about JCB on here. Opinions are like backsides - everybody has one but some smell worse than others. :)
Lol, my list is already longer than that! Already replaced bucket pins, and bushes, waiting for main boom to dipping arm bushes and pin, replaced all grease nipples. Fuel display not working, starter solenoid iffy, only yesterday found out that the coolant has been leaking and ran dry! 😀 One of the bottom rollers also appears to be knackered and the bolt on it is welded to the side plate, not to mention it has no cab door and rattles like f... ! In Scotland they'd call it a pig-in-a-poke!

GazCro

GazCro

Lol, my list is already longer than that! Already replaced bucket pins, and bushes, waiting for main boom to dipping arm bushes and pin, replaced all grease nipples. Fuel display not working, starter solenoid iffy, only yesterday found out that the coolant has been leaking and ran dry! 😀 One of the bottom rollers also appears to be knackered and the bolt on it is welded to the side plate, not to mention it has no cab door and rattles like f... ! In Scotland they'd call it a pig-in-a-poke!
Re starter solenoid, just check it's not the electrical connecter onto the solenoid first.

R

Rocky Horror

When I first got the machine, none of the electrical functions worked, the boom worklight, fan, horn, I replaced all the fuses out and it cured all of these so could be the same with the connectors on the solenoid. I can maybe turn the key three times just getting a click each time, then on the fourth turn it will fire up. I've still to get the wiper motor working, again it may be a dodgy connection because the motor itself looks as good as new inside its case.