Help me my nipples are leaking

L

LKSF

Pennine Hillbilly
:rolleyes: :ROFLMAO: 😅 😄
Sorry, seriously though, I have a bit of an issue with my old Benford dumper. When I attach the grease gun and pump there is no resistance and grease just comes out from between the gun nozzle and the nipple. Why is this? Do I need an imperial attachment or are they worn out or something?
I don't think they're blocked because as said, there is no resistance at all.
TIA.
 
Gecko

Gecko

Well-known member
There are many different nipple profiles and just as many chuck designs.
There may be a rubber seal in the chuck that is damaged, but it sounds like your chuck and nipples are simply incompatible.

My suggestion is to go over the machine, find as many nipples as you can and replace every one that gives the slightest problem.
 
L

LKSF

Pennine Hillbilly
Definitely not the gun, it's brand new. I can't think of any remote ones on it Doobin? Ones at either end of the steering rams, centre pivot, probably one at either end of the skip ram and one or two on the pedal pivots off the top of my head, but i'll have a look at the manual.
 
M

Monkeybusiness

Well-known member
Definitely not the gun, it's brand new. I can't think of any remote ones on it Doobin? Ones at either end of the steering rams, centre pivot, probably one at either end of the skip ram and one or two on the pedal pivots off the top of my head, but i'll have a look at the manual.
If it’s every nipple then I’d be looking at the gun, however new it is. Try it on another machine.
 
Gecko

Gecko

Well-known member
New nipples required then! They are cheap as chips, just buy a multi-pack.
When my 3cx arrived, I was pretty mercenary about it. I had a bucket of nipples and a grease gun (it's got about 75 nipples). I worked my way around the machine and each nipple was given one chance only - flow grease or get replaced.
Maintenance wasn't a high priority of the previous owner it seemed and many are now shiny/new.

Oh - and don't necessarily replace like for like.
Have a good look at the access and decide if a 45 or 90 degree nipple would allow you access without needing two left hands or an elbow that bends the wrong way.
 
doobin

doobin

Well-known member
When my 3cx arrived, I was pretty mercenary about it. I had a bucket of nipples and a grease gun (it's got about 75 nipples). I worked my way around the machine and each nipple was given one chance only - flow grease or get replaced.
Maintenance wasn't a high priority of the previous owner it seemed and many are now shiny/new.

Oh - and don't necessarily replace like for like.
Have a good look at the access and decide if a 45 or 90 degree nipple would allow you access without needing two left hands or an elbow that bends the wrong way.
Agree. And when you buy a set of grease nipple, buy an assorted set of metric and an assorted set of imperial. All machines I've come across are either metric or imperial, you really need both selection packs in a drawer somewhere.
 
D

DaveDCB

Well-known member
Agree. And when you buy a set of grease nipple, buy an assorted set of metric and an assorted set of imperial. All machines I've come across are either metric or imperial, you really need both selection packs in a drawer somewhere.

Just what I was going to say, I have a full tray of each version, small investment but pays off quickly when you can just put your hand on one when required.
 
Top