Gloves

A

Andy Gaffer

Evening all, at the age of 48 I think I'm starting to develop white finger as both forefinger and thumbs are starting to feel a bit numb/stiff, more in my right hand as I'm righthanded, can anybody recommend any good anti vibe gloves.

Thanks Andy.

doobin

doobin

None really work. A better bet is to upgrade your tools. Which tools do you think are causing you trouble?

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
None really work. A better bet is to upgrade your tools. Which tools do you think are causing you trouble?
Plus one ☝️ . Anti-vibe gloves are a gimmick, wear glove that will keep your hands warm, that will reduce the effect. Never just Carry on when your hands get numb and stiff, take a break and warm up to help the blood flow. Once the damage is done there’s not allot can be done to reverse it.

B

Brendan

If you have any titan kit or similar bin it, as much as everyone rates them, they are terrible for vibration the big breaker has a limit of sub 20mins for a 24 hour period before it reaches 5ms/2

Got a set of Stanley anti vibe gloves they are not very good considering their cost

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
We were buying some new 9” grinders last year Milwaukee one had 9000mm2 of vibration and Metabo had 6000mm2 . We went for Metabo, no brainer. Cost doesn’t come into it.

A

Andy Gaffer

I think what made the symptom's more apparent was a demo job I did last October, due to the logistics of the job the bit being knocked down it had to separated from the existing building by hand using a hand held breaker, Makita 1203c which I must admit I spent hours on it had no issues then but since the colder weather I've started to show what I think are the signs.
I've since found out that the breaker does not meet the recommended hav, I've bought a new breaker which gives me around 3 hrs use before meeting the limit however, I suspect this may be a bit late.

B

Brendan

We were buying some new 9” grinders last year Milwaukee one had 9000mm2 of vibration and Metabo had 6000mm2 . We went for Metabo, no brainer. Cost doesn’t come into it.
At 6.2m/s2 that's 1hr 18mins till 2.5m/S2 which at that point other options should be looked at and 5hrs 12mins before reaching the 5m/s2 should not exceed limit.

Everyone does it but reality is at some point most maybe all will end up with vwf.

The anti vibe gloves should have a rating on but at best they make a marginal difference and not enough to just put a set on and crack on all day with a heavy vibration tool

B

Brendan

HSE website has a hav calculator that you can download.
That Makita tool would be 12 mins to 2.5m/S2 and a max of 50mins for the 5 m/s2 daily limit.

The DeWalt stuff tends to have low vibration

M

Matt

Never used anti vibration gloves, but I’ve been trying out a pair of work gloves from Hexarmor. Pricey but well worth it. They do an anti vibration range I think which could be worth a look.

R

Rob 210

It's not just VBF too watch out for but carpal tunnel syndrome
This is caused by having a tight grip on something too long e.g breaker and not resting and relaxing.Also gripping levers too tight for too long.
symptoms are excruciating pain in the effected wrist,so much so it's crippling to pick up a cup
I learnt the hard way!!

Mintsauce

Mintsauce

Can't recommend any gloves sorry. You could try glucosamine sulphate tablets. 1000mg per day works for me although it isn't for white finger but something similar. Off the self in chemists and supermarkets.(y)

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
This is caused by having a tight grip on something too long e.g breaker and not resting and relaxing.Also gripping levers too tight for too long.
symptoms are excruciating pain in the effected wrist,so much so it's crippling to pick up a cup
I learnt the hard way!!
We had the occupational nurse in the other day checking every one over and fit for work. Did the pins and washers on the tray with holes, and grip strength test and various other bits and pieces. It was a cold morning and I was first in but everything was fine. Definitely worth getting checked and do as much as possible to reduce the effect of work activities on your health, its only you that suffers in later years.

Exmayor

Exmayor

I don't need gloves really, but Costain supply them and they get the Arco Thermal 1's and the comfort grip 1's that are supposed to be good for handling Tools. The Vermin/Maggots use them for 10 mins then chuck them on the ground but I've had them last a week easily and in bulk they are only pence

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I don't need gloves really, but Costain supply them and they get the Arco Thermal 1's and the comfort grip 1's that are supposed to be good for handling Tools. The Vermin/Maggots use them for 10 mins then chuck them on the ground but I've had them last a week easily and in bulk they are only pence
they're very good those, warm and a good grip .....
I like these
https://www.safetygloves.co.uk/A271...MIzqq_-d_44AIVz7vtCh3_jgLIEAQYAyABEgJGd_D_BwE

and similar, like the Parweld Panther gloves.....
1552261629538.png

very comfortable, relatively warm and will stick a fair bit of abuse/work ... great gloves if it's cold enough to need them .. always keep a pair in the car ;)

A

Andy Gaffer

I learnt the hard way!!
Hi Rob, I do spend a fair bit of time on the computer, you tube, plant talk, internet etc... I find when on it the middle of my forearm rests on the top of the desk whilst using the mouse I get numbness in my right forefinger, if I stop and give if a move around it will go back to normal, regarding cts I did a fair few enduros a few years back and never suffered from arm pump even after 3hrs constant riding, I suspect the time spent on the breaker last year may of just brought the symptoms to light.
I do need to get some better gloves sorted.

Reactions: LDK
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I learnt the hard way!!
wouldn't mind betting there's a few on here with it then ... wallets, labourer's throats, etc. :LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: