Generator

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
One thing to watch out for is 3000rpm vs 1500rpm sets - I think most petrol ones are 3k hence the noise, when you start getting into the 10kva+ diesels make sure it's a 1.5k set - they're quieter and run better IMHO. Sweet spot for a house and towable would be around the 15-20KVA mark.
yep 15-20Kva would run most stuff ....... if you're buying, .. buy 3 ph ... and open up the world of new toys shopping :giggle::giggle: and possibly cheaper than just a single phase set
tow-able is good from the mobility angle .. but also easier to lose :mad:.... and you're paying extra for the facility - significantly so in some cases. :unsure:
May be cheaper to just have a trailer, capable and be able to use that for other things too ;)

R

Russell

That hundai one would run most stuff in a house if water and oven are on gas and you have changed all the lights to led.

Last edited:
Gecko

Gecko

Hyundi - cough - (bullshit)
If you write Rolls Royce on the side, it wont be any quieter.

I've got a 'non-silenced' version and I use it every time I'm too far from an outlet. Mine is pre-AVR (automatic voltage control) so the voltage is rev-dependent.
The engine is a chinese clone of a Yanma engine (compare Kipor 186f with Yanma L100).

Everything about the chinese engine is 'cheap'. The paint fades fast, the metal plating is thin and prone to rusting, the pullstart cord is too thin etc.
If you are prepared to fix/replace/upgrade each item as it fails, you will end up with a genset that's quite reliable, but it'll never be quiet.

Edit:
forgot to mention the welds on the roll frame looked like pidgin-s**t, but smoothed over with bog.

Last edited:
Cyberprog

Cyberprog

Everything about the chinese engine is 'cheap'. The paint fades fast, the metal plating is thin and prone to rusting, the pullstart cord is too thin etc.
If you are prepared to fix/replace/upgrade each item as it fails, you will end up with a genset that's quite reliable, but it'll never be quiet.

I bet it's electric start* though

*Turn the switch, pull the handle.

Gecko

Gecko

I'm not sure about the fully enclosed gens, but mine does have electric start (and a wonderful thing it is too!), but you still have to remember the de-compressor if you want the startormotor to last.

If you want to deflate a man's ego, you only have to offer him the pull-start and 'forget' the de-compressor.

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
did this for you this afternoon @Grahams

gives you a good idea of just how good the noise levels are with the Cummins ;)

Grahams

Grahams

Don't complain - suggest what's better
Thanks Graham. I know those properly silenced sets are quiet. We had the electricity board put one in our yard when they were replacing some stuff down the road. Powering five units you could barely hear it outside our shed and nothing inside.
I think I am asking too much to get one that will power the house and fit in the .back of the pickup. I must properly work out max load at home and see what I really need. Not a lot would be my guess as we don’t cook or heat with electric.