S
Stroppymonkey
Well-known member
As many will know, I am a plumbing and heating engineer primarily, and like to play with the below ground stuff where we can, but it’s not our main thing. Below ground drainage is groundworkers responsibility and not the plumber in this country (usually). Got a good customer with a few barn conversions and the latest one is having a problem with the shower backing up after 10 mins or so. Appears to be the 4” being blocked below the slab . I can’t get to it from above as it reduces to 40mm in the PIR level and then comes up under low level shower tray. Not a problem you think…. Just inspect/rod/jet from chamber….
But no. It’s been piped up (all new about 12 months ago) as per drawing.
The chamber is constantly about 50mm deep so original groundworker must have had a dodgy level/bad eyesight.
I’m not going to be a dick about it, just needs sorting , but as far as I am aware everything should be accessible and ideally all running separately to a chamber. I assume that this installation doesn’t meet building regs? I’m going to have to remove a kitchen unit and bust up the screed to find the 4” and then add an access branch there or something. Did we mess up by not checking the pre installed 4” routes before we stated 1st fixing ? WC/Basin/Sink all working lovely, just the shower waste. My suspicion is that a rubble sack has been shoved down the pipe at some points and is allowing some water through but not full flow.
Going to be fun to sort. Holiday cottage is fully booked as well :-(
But no. It’s been piped up (all new about 12 months ago) as per drawing.
The chamber is constantly about 50mm deep so original groundworker must have had a dodgy level/bad eyesight.
I’m not going to be a dick about it, just needs sorting , but as far as I am aware everything should be accessible and ideally all running separately to a chamber. I assume that this installation doesn’t meet building regs? I’m going to have to remove a kitchen unit and bust up the screed to find the 4” and then add an access branch there or something. Did we mess up by not checking the pre installed 4” routes before we stated 1st fixing ? WC/Basin/Sink all working lovely, just the shower waste. My suspicion is that a rubble sack has been shoved down the pipe at some points and is allowing some water through but not full flow.
Going to be fun to sort. Holiday cottage is fully booked as well :-(





