copper pipe press

S

Smiffy

Well-known member
Issue with any Prefab is the simple fact that transport is a Twat.

For it to be cost effective you need to be talking completed rooms..... Not halves, not walls..... completed rooms made in the factory, Q/C'd and then delivered to site..... Fancy a 2.5m x 40' room? No? ahh pity.

We won't see it in the UK..... Possibly we will see larger developments utilizing on site production facility's and then SPMT's moving complete structures onto pre set positions. But realistically we don't need more houses, we need to be safeguarding and utilising existing housing stock.

Judging from the recent news from the cop summit I think the government are more likely to sail us down the river and promise all old economical housing stock to be replaced with modern efficient housing.
After all a few people have glued there hands to tarmac about it so why would the government listen to the majority
 
GazCro

GazCro

Well-known member
Judging from the recent news from the cop summit I think the government are more likely to sail us down the river and promise all old economical housing stock to be replaced with modern efficient housing.
After all a few people have glued there hands to tarmac about it so why would the government listen to the majority
All well and good thinking that's gonna happen same as everyone having a leccy car. But until it becomes cheaper to go that route it will never happen. You can gain enough extra efficiency on an older house without the cost of demolishing and rebuilding from scratch to make a big difference. People with loads of money can do the ultimate 'green' bit if they like but for the vast majority the sums just don't add up.
 
S

Smiffy

Well-known member
All well and good thinking that's gonna happen same as everyone having a leccy car. But until it becomes cheaper to go that route it will never happen. You can gain enough extra efficiency on an older house without the cost of demolishing and rebuilding from scratch to make a big difference. People with loads of money can do the ultimate 'green' bit if they like but for the vast majority the sums just don't add up.

They don't add up with anything that's being implemented.
Just look at the whole lez setup and the amount of problems with add blue engines.
Not to mention the criticism of UK farming based on information taken from other countries
 
Grahams

Grahams

Don't complain - suggest what's better
Issue with any Prefab is the simple fact that transport is a Twat.

For it to be cost effective you need to be talking completed rooms..... Not halves, not walls..... completed rooms made in the factory, Q/C'd and then delivered to site..... Fancy a 2.5m x 40' room? No? ahh pity.

We won't see it in the UK..... Possibly we will see larger developments utilizing on site production facility's and then SPMT's moving complete structures onto pre set positions. But realistically we don't need more houses, we need to be safeguarding and utilising existing housing stock.
The thing with prefab is quality control. Once it is dialed in properly in the factor it should come out right every time. Have you seen the workmanship on big sites? So much of it is appalling. Germans seem to be able to do it shipping individual walls and drop in units for bathrooms.
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Tbh it doesn't matter if as within a decade plumbing will all come pre installed same with the electric. All runs pre planned and cut in a factory and just plug it all together on site.
And any work required on existing property's will write the property off to be demolished and replaced with an eco house that runs on the farts produced by the diet of brussel sprouts that are the only thing we will be allowed to consume

Horribly true....

:oops::oops: Welcome To 2030: I Own Nothing, Have No Privacy And Life Has Never Been Better :oops::oops::unsure: ..... "Others just stayed in the empty and abandoned houses in small 19th century villages" ..... reckon that'd be all of us :giggle: :LOL:
 
Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Well-known member
All well and good thinking that's gonna happen same as everyone having a leccy car. But until it becomes cheaper to go that route it will never happen. You can gain enough extra efficiency on an older house without the cost of demolishing and rebuilding from scratch to make a big difference. People with loads of money can do the ultimate 'green' bit if they like but for the vast majority the sums just don't add up.
Hear hear, once price of leccy starts climbing spectacularly things going to be interesting.
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
All well and good thinking that's gonna happen same as everyone having a leccy car. But until it becomes cheaper to go that route it will never happen. You can gain enough extra efficiency on an older house without the cost of demolishing and rebuilding from scratch to make a big difference. People with loads of money can do the ultimate 'green' bit if they like but for the vast majority the sums just don't add up.
they can't keep up with the 'perceived' demand, for 'new housing', let alone demolishing and replacing existing stock :mad: and what is being built is a disgrace - thrown together, sub standard, crap hutches, that keep their inhabitants on the edge and on the treadmill ... 🤬
They don't add up with anything that's being implemented.
Just look at the whole lez setup and the amount of problems with add blue engines.
Not to mention the criticism of UK farming based on information taken from other countries
.......is just another stealth tax .... 14 quid a day or stay away ... bet all their ministerial gas guzzlers are all exempt ..... 🤬
 
pettsy

pettsy

Well-known member
£1400 for a tool you’d use every day doesn’t sound much to me tbh…
Millionaire plumbers’ day rates are massive - spending a bit on tools once in a while to offset a bit of tax can’t be the end of the world surely?!

But then my blow lamp is £100, tub of flux £10,roll of solder £20 and fittings much cheaper. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not against it but probably more beneficial in plant rooms etc. Whenever I’ve seen it used domestically it just seems like they forget how to bend pipes and it’s all 90elbows and sockets

I fitted some stainless press fit in Chatsworth house as they don’t allow hot works, I was just a subby so don’t know what it cost!
 
M

Monkeybusiness

Well-known member
But then my blow lamp is £100, tub of flux £10,roll of solder £20 and fittings much cheaper. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not against it but probably more beneficial in plant rooms etc. Whenever I’ve seen it used domestically it just seems like they forget how to bend pipes and it’s all 90elbows and sockets

I fitted some stainless press fit in Chatsworth house as they don’t allow hot works, I was just a subby so don’t know what it cost!
As an alternative to hot works from my (layman’s) perspective it looks the best solution, and I’d have thought would command a small premium to cover the additional fixings costs on jobs where it’s necessary?
Surely a plumber must be able to bend pipes and solder though - if those skills are lacking then what is the point of employing them? I plumbed my last house with a mix of plastic push-fit and copper (where you could see it) and I taught myself to solder and bend pipe. I certainly couldn’t make money doing it but I’d like to think if that’s what I did for a living I’d get pretty decent at it!
 
pettsy

pettsy

Well-known member
I’m sure it will become more common, and yes it does look a good alternative once developed. The trouble with it currently is that there isn’t a set standard across manufacturers. Whilst the copper pipe is 15/22/28 etc, there’s a few different profile jaws depending which manufacturers fitting you’re using (U/M/V) Then some of the fittings are water only, some are water and gas.

You would think pipe bending would be a required skill but when using press that seems to be forgotten!
 
JD450A

JD450A

Moderattor🐾
:oops::oops: Welcome To 2030: I Own Nothing, Have No Privacy And Life Has Never Been Better :oops::oops::unsure: ..... "Others just stayed in the empty and abandoned houses in small 19th century villages" ..... reckon that'd be all of us :giggle: :LOL:
Rock on, I cannot wait..... All the ***** can f**k off back to where they belong and i'll stay where I belong..... Nae Bother.

I'd actually give up the I/C Engine in exchange for 100 acres of land for me and me alone!
 
Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Well-known member
Rock on, I cannot wait..... All the ***** can f**k off back to where they belong and i'll stay where I belong..... Nae Bother.

I'd actually give up the I/C Engine in exchange for 100 acres of land for me and me alone!
I'll be in the 100acres next door...😎
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
£1400 for a tool you’d use every day doesn’t sound much to me tbh…
Millionaire plumbers’ day rates are massive - spending a bit on tools once in a while to offset a bit of tax can’t be the end of the world surely?!
got a plumber 'mate' that runs a couple of 'sought after' Porsches and a De Tomaso Pantera :oops::rolleyes:
 
Canal Navvy

Canal Navvy

Well-known member
I want 50 acres of south facing cotswold pasture running down to 40 acres of woodland with a canal running through it , could cope without internal combustion there 😄
Are we allowed to pick where our 100 acres are ?
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I must be doing it wrong, or I’m too cheap 🤣
nah Jason's too ****ing dear .... only ever used him once and known him pushing 40 years ..... damned if i'm funding his expensive tastes :rolleyes:
 
Top