Are the South Downs worth visiting?

Storrsy

Storrsy

Well-known member
I have a big family (siblings nieces and nephews etc) and every year we try and meet up somewhere in the country for a camping get together (easiest way of doing it with 30+ of us). Think done most of the national parks now in England (except the one I live in!) haven't done New forest and South Downs. Is there plenty to see around there? Good walks etc. not into the typical tourist traps tbh- every NP has them and generally wise to avoid IMO!
 
JerryRtilt

JerryRtilt

Well-known member
I have a big family (siblings nieces and nephews etc) and every year we try and meet up somewhere in the country for a camping get together (easiest way of doing it with 30+ of us). Think done most of the national parks now in England (except the one I live in!) haven't done New forest and South Downs. Is there plenty to see around there? Good walks etc. not into the typical tourist traps tbh- every NP has them and generally wise to avoid IMO!
I have a lot of good memories of that part of the world, growing up in East Sussex, day trips to the coast often involved walks on the downs north of Eastbourne and to the west.
Birling gap is worth a visit before it completely disappears into the sea and the area around Cuckmere haven has some nice walks as I remember.
If you're interested in buildings and walls built from flint it's the place to be.
And a lot of Roman history around Arundle and Chicester, further west you're into @doobin country.
Sad thing is its a overpopulated part of a overpopulated island and usually quite busy!
 
S

Smiffy

Well-known member
I love the south Downs. Some lovely towns on the route and some stunning views. The walks are great. Years ago I had a job mowing the whole west Sussex section of the south Downs Way which was a good way to see it. If you are staying anywhere I would recommend either Arundel or lewes.
 
JerryRtilt

JerryRtilt

Well-known member
I love the south Downs. Some lovely towns on the route and some stunning views. The walks are great. Years ago I had a job mowing the whole west Sussex section of the south Downs Way which was a good way to see it. If you are staying anywhere I would recommend either Arundel or lewes.
That reminds me, Harvey's Brewery in Lewes, got to be worth a visit.
 
doobin

doobin

Well-known member
The South Downs isn’t really too touristy. You certainly don’t get the queues of cars and walkers that you do in places like Snowdon.

Be sure to call in to my yard if you’re in the area! I’m at the edge of West Sussex, on the border with Hampshire and Surrey.
 
Top