Anyone been to the JCB auctions?

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Hi just wondering if anyone hase any experience of buying from the JCB Auction held by AMS?

wondering if prices are usually sensible, or if it’s auction fever central?

pettsy

pettsy

I’ve seen various things listed by first plant on eBay that has ams stickers on them, I wonder if they bulk buy at the auction? I read somewhere that the machines are non-standard/pre production spec so parts aren’t always straightforward but don’t know how true that is?

M

Monkeybusiness

Hi just wondering if anyone hase any experience of buying from the JCB Auction held by AMS?

wondering if prices are usually sensible, or if it’s auction fever central?

I was bidding on a couple of prototype 8 tonners 3 years ago that had no serial numbers/ce marking etc (they were being sold to be stripped for parts/not resold). A mate used to be an engineer there and worded me up on which were OK/which were to be avoided.
They ended up selling for crazy money - you could have bought a brand new 6 tonner (which I subsequently did!).
Not sure how much parts etc go for - it’s worth popping for a look as there is loads of interesting stuff available.

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I'd imagine like all auctions these days, it'd be a total waste of time and a massive rip off with all the extras over and above the hammer price .. I just do not bother to go to any any more .... complete waste of a day ....... and I have had some serious buys over the years ... used to go to a LOT of auctions

D

DaveDCB

I stopped going to these years ago, prices go stupid for what mostly is pre production/prototype and returned damaged parts, a lot of warrenty claim parts go into the auction( had seen a old 3cx bonnet of mine in there before) if it’s a rainy day and your local it’s worth nipping in for a look around, but take your wallet and don’t be shy!

J

Jimoz

Tech and the internet is brilliant but I think it's destroyed any opportunities at auctions for anything. You don't have to be there on the day every tom duck and Harry has seen it online

B

Brendan

I'd imagine like all auctions these days, it'd be a total waste of time and a massive rip off with all the extras over and above the hammer price .. I just do not bother to go to any any more .... complete waste of a day ....... and I have had some serious buys over the years ... used to go to a LOT of auctions
Last auctions I was on was around £50 in fees and vat per £100 bid.
Have bought some absolute crap at auction, issue is online the pictures can be misleading, fair enough they state should view items in person but who wants to do a 4 plus hour round trip to view some bits

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Last auctions I was on was around £50 in fees and vat per £100 bid.
Have bought some absolute crap at auction, issue is online the pictures can be misleading, fair enough they state should view items in person but who wants to do a 4 plus hour round trip to view some bits
sounds about right ..... a grand bid is closer to 1500 quid by the time it's out of the gates :cry::mad:🤬🤬 ...sod that

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

I’m sure I read that there was no buyer premium?

I cant go to the auction, as I’m meant to be away, but might go and have a look before hand if there’s time.

but the item I’m interested in would have to be sensible money, or it wouldn't be worth the risk imo

D

DaveDCB

I’m sure I read that there was no buyer premium?

I cant go to the auction, as I’m meant to be away, but might go and have a look before hand if there’s time.

but the item I’m interested in would have to be sensible money, or it wouldn't be worth the risk imo
Your right no premium at jcb auction.
I always factor the fees into my bidding, it’s quite simple - I’ll just pay less if the auction house adds stupid fees!