Anis Trend horizontal baler ram forward timeout

A

Anistrend

New member
Good morning chaps,

I popped by the site on Sunday evening and removed some guarding and inspected the ram. No leakage and no signs of significant wear or damage.

What I did notice this morning was a valve that appeared to be on the return line from the channel clamp...was closed. As soon as I loosened it off, the clamp released like it should. It would only usually clamp when bales are being compresses/pushed through. It seems likely that the engineer who came to fix a different issue may have closed that return valve.

This had the effect of clamping the end bale in the channel constantly. I think this may have added too much resistance. Does that sound plausible?
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Good morning chaps,

I popped by the site on Sunday evening and removed some guarding and inspected the ram. No leakage and no signs of significant wear or damage.

What I did notice this morning was a valve that appeared to be on the return line from the channel clamp...was closed. As soon as I loosened it off, the clamp released like it should. It would only usually clamp when bales are being compresses/pushed through. It seems likely that the engineer who came to fix a different issue may have closed that return valve.

This had the effect of clamping the end bale in the channel constantly. I think this may have added too much resistance. Does that sound plausible?
you won't see any leakage, that I was referring to ... only leaks when the gland seal, between the end cap of the cylinder and the rod is fooked.... was referring to the seals on the piston inside the cylinder, which creates the pushing/retraction force, leak past/bypass and some of the pressure that should be all exerted on the ram's piston, to push, is being lost around the seal lips. the lips wear and some pressure on the piston is lost/escapes to the other side of the piston, reducing the available pressure and resultant force on whatever it's pushing against
 
S

Steve

Well-known member
Good morning chaps,

I popped by the site on Sunday evening and removed some guarding and inspected the ram. No leakage and no signs of significant wear or damage.

What I did notice this morning was a valve that appeared to be on the return line from the channel clamp...was closed. As soon as I loosened it off, the clamp released like it should. It would only usually clamp when bales are being compresses/pushed through. It seems likely that the engineer who came to fix a different issue may have closed that return valve.

This had the effect of clamping the end bale in the channel constantly. I think this may have added too much resistance. Does that sound plausible?
Sounds feasible if the ram that was pushing built pressure enough for the prv. Did you find out what the banging noise around the Ram was? We had a machine once (not a baler) that had the nut on the end of the ram rod come off internally so some times it would close enough to reach the proximity switch but sometimes not .
 
Canal Navvy

Canal Navvy

Well-known member
Good morning chaps,

I popped by the site on Sunday evening and removed some guarding and inspected the ram. No leakage and no signs of significant wear or damage.

What I did notice this morning was a valve that appeared to be on the return line from the channel clamp...was closed. As soon as I loosened it off, the clamp released like it should. It would only usually clamp when bales are being compresses/pushed through. It seems likely that the engineer who came to fix a different issue may have closed that return valve.

This had the effect of clamping the end bale in the channel constantly. I think this may have added too much resistance. Does that sound plausible?

Makes sense to me, each ram stroke you'd expect the bale to move further through the chamber until the bale length measuring device triggers the tieing cycle. I could quite see that if the bale pressure is too high all that would happen is that the wad would be compressed like a spring and nothing else would happen. Could the timing out be just not the expected lengthening of the bale with each stroke ?

I know absolutely nothing about industrial balers but like a lot on here only survived the summer season on the farms by REALLY understanding how a baler works 🙂
 
M

Monkeybusiness

Well-known member
Makes sense to me, each ram stroke you'd expect the bale to move further through the chamber until the bale length measuring device triggers the tieing cycle. I could quite see that if the bale pressure is too high all that would happen is that the wad would be compressed like a spring and nothing else would happen. Could the timing out be just not the expected lengthening of the bale with each stroke ?

I know absolutely nothing about industrial balers but like a lot on here only survived the summer season on the farms by REALLY understanding how a baler works 🙂
Don’t lie - nobody REALLY understands the magic that is a baler knotter!!!
 
Top