Advice on Road Closure Application

Gunners

Gunners

Well-known member
Hi all,
Got a developer in a bit of a pickle and looking to me for a way out. Basically due to some horrendous, previous, now ex site management, the site haven't organised their services and are coming up to 1st fix. Power is in the verge on our side of the road so that's easy and is in hand. However, the Water, Gas and Sewer are all on the other side of the road. The water board alone are quoting 6 months to organise an application and carry out the connection. Gas are similar and the foul isn't down to me anyway as I don't have a street works licence. Obviously, all this doesn't sit well with the developer who wants it done before his next skiing holiday 😉 (end of March!)

So before I tell him the bad news as I see it next week, has anyone applied for a road closure before? My initial idea is to get an application in under the developers name (that way I don't have to pay any form of bond - he is the millionaire not me!) and then organise the gas and water to do their bits under our licence. Now I know this is a much more risky approach as the reinstatement failure risk will be on the developer rather than the utility but trust me, its a risk he's willing to take to get this project off his hands and move on from the whole saga.

So, any information would be useful. The project is down in Barton on Sea in Hampshire so would be Hampshire County Council I would need to be applying to. Or maybe I cant even apply as I'm not on some kind of approved list/ no streetworks permit. To be honest, I dont care either way if we can or cant do it, but am just trying to help out if I can and we have a decent pool of knowledge on this forum so chances are, one of you know the "yes its possible" or "no its not" answer.
 
F

fred

Well-known member
not a lot of help, our services (severn trent, western power, britsh gas) wont allow the client to get the permit. They do it themselves. Unless its a motorway you are connecting from I find it hard to believe the council is telling them 6 months. Most Ive had to wait is 9 weeks.

Have you called up highways to find out ? Get the local councillor on the job to find out what the problem is. At the end of the day the service is going to get connected so it doesn't matter if its 6 days or 6 months to the council unless they have a specific reason why it cant be done sooner.

just to add the exception to this is sewer, as severn trent do not provide connections themself it has to be once of their approved contractors who again get the permits.
 
K

Komatsu

Well-known member
TM Is usually 2 weeks Ollie, from when it gets approved, as for the reinstatement of the road, think you’ll find that if your not on the “approved” list of contractors, or using an approved contractor you won’t be able to do it yourself.
 
Gunners

Gunners

Well-known member
TM Is usually 2 weeks Ollie, from when it gets approved, as for the reinstatement of the road, think you’ll find that if your not on the “approved” list of contractors, or using an approved contractor you won’t be able to do it yourself.
I've just had a good read through the Hampshire CC website about this (fairly good info TBH) and it looks like myself/ and or the developer would need to be on the street works register which isn't too difficult to do (but takes money and time to do the course) and I could not be the Supervisor AND the Operative so would require at least one other to work with me. Plus I'd need to up my PL insurance (again, its only money right...) The traffic management plan side of it I could sub to a TM company and save me getting all my stolen barriers stolen by bastards who steal bloody barriers!
Basically, its looking like it would be possible but not in the stupid time frame they are after. Which was my initial thought when they came to me TBH.
 
K

Komatsu

Well-known member
I've just had a good read through the Hampshire CC website about this (fairly good info TBH) and it looks like myself/ and or the developer would need to be on the street works register which isn't too difficult to do (but takes money and time to do the course) and I could not be the Supervisor AND the Operative so would require at least one other to work with me. Plus I'd need to up my PL insurance (again, its only money right...) The traffic management plan side of it I could sub to a TM company and save me getting all my stolen barriers stolen by bastards who steal bloody barriers!
Basically, its looking like it would be possible but not in the stupid time frame they are after. Which was my initial thought when they came to me TBH.
Sub the lot out and put your % on top.
 
A

Andy Gaffer

Member
If I remember right the Police/Ambulance/Fire need to be aware if its a full closure so they can re route, this applies if its on a bus route as well, I assume they will be notified via highways or the local council after the application has been submitted and approved but will add time to the start date.
When I last worked in the road I only had a operatives ticket, the firm who carried out the reinstatement let me use his supervisors ticket for the application however, this was around 11 years ago and the process may of changed since then, as Ollie said I'd sub it out.
 
Left hooker

Left hooker

Well-known member
Unless you have full street works that will cover 5 years of defects to road till license for job is taken back by council after final inspection at end of 5 years and tm sorted for duration of job sub it all out less hassle
 
K

Komatsu

Well-known member
Is that a thing? Would a TM firm take it on?
Sub the whole job out and then it’s up to them to sort the TM etc out, just get a a list of who is authorised to do this sort of work, get a price of a handful of them, put your bit on top, job done🙂
 
S

Smiffy

Well-known member
Sub the whole TM pour including application the lot
It will make it a lot easier if you haven't got someone in the office to deal with it all as there is alot of paper
You will have to have every piece of paperwork on site with you as the highways contractor (I think Hampshire is Balfour ) are entitled to walk onto your site for an audit at any time.

The notification of roadworks is done via a website and instantly uploads to the satnav system notifying everyone but notice boards have to be in place for 2 weeks for non emergency work

I have the signs and lighting module of street works which took a day
The full course is a week
It's not difficult just a prize for participating
One of the blokes on my signs and lighting course had signed upto it at the job centre had no driving license no idea what any signs meant and didn't even know what side of the road we drive on
He passed
 
A

A9Driver

Member
When we had to do a road closure for a road repair due to a crane crash it was cheaper for us to have the council do the work and bill us than do the work ourselves. They did the work so they also have no comeback on us.
 
JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
Just Bash some magnetic stickers on, nick a few road closed signs and pretend to be working for the leccy board at night.... then deny all knowledge like the do as ya likeys do 😂
 
Top