Advice on pricing work

N

neil1977

Good afternoon,

I after some advice on pricing a large muck shifting job. There’s approximately 1500 m3 of stuff to shift and there’s a lot of topsoil by the looks of it but there also looks to be some fairly large rocks around too. It’s a pretty straightforward site for access but I was wondering if there is a formula or something to guide me on many tonnes roughly there would be in 1500 m3 of ground. And also is there a formula for price per tonne etc it probably varies from area to area. This site is in Aberdeenshire.

Any help once again is hugely appreciated.

Thanks

Neil

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
Need some context. 1500 m3 of soil to shift yes? but is it shifting on site or offsite. If Onsite what is your haul distance from cut to fill site, are you compacting fill etc.
1500 m3 of ground would easily yield a bulked volume of 3000m3 if it's topsoil.

Bri963

Bri963

1500m3 excavation will come out between 2000-2500m3 in a heap, unless you recompact it in which case it can return to original density or even greater for some soils. In real terms, 1500 cube of sand will weigh no more than 3400 tonnes (unless it's a vein of pig iron) but if there's a lot of topsoil more likely less than 3000 tonne.

Doing a calc like this the important factor is the "bank" volume (as-dug vol) as for road haulage, it's the total weight you need to know. The bulking up factor is only important if you're storing or re-using as you don't use topsoil for engineered fill.

N

neil1977

Thanks again guys, this information is great, learning new stuff everyday! Best forum I’ve ever been on!!