Yanmar F.I.R number

S

Splosh

Hi all,

Other than Barrus (UK importer) does anyone know how to find the Fuel Injection Reference number for a Yanmar 3TNV88-XWA2?

Thanks, Duncan

S

Splosh

Refitting the fuel pump and timing it up. It had been removed to be tested as there were issues with the flow rate to cylinder 3, but on refitting in the same position the engine won't start cold.

Yanmar manual states the timing is 2x the pump number as a decimal + the FIR number.

M

Monkeybusiness

Refitting the fuel pump and timing it up. It had been removed to be tested as there were issues with the flow rate to cylinder 3, but on refitting in the same position the engine won't start cold.

Yanmar manual states the timing is 2x the pump number as a decimal + the FIR number.
Why won’t Barrus give you the info?

S

Splosh

Unfortunately it appears the one person there had already finished for Christmas, hence me asking here on the off-chance that someone might have had the same issue before!

Mick-the-fitter

Mick-the-fitter

It’s what I do!
Timing marks on fly wheel to (1) this is the furthest cylinder from the fan (3) we would call it! Make sure that cylinder is on a compression stroke with both valves closed, if the timing gear never came out of mesh with the pump timing gear then turn the pump shaft til the key fits In the gear, if you are lucky enough to have a timing marks on the idler gear line them up with the pump gear and away you go, if not there’s more to do, can guide you through it.

S

Splosh

Thanks for the advice Mick.

The main problem is that the engine will just not start cold (doesn't help that it only has an inlet mainfold heater rather than glow plugs). Once it's run for a few minutes, it will start easily.

I've had a DTI on the MP pump piston to find the 2.5mm stroke, but just can't find the magic perfect position!

S

Splosh

Finally got hold of the FIR number today: 4 +/- 0.5, which means that the timing is between 17.5 - 18.5 BTDC.

Nice little job for tomorrow!

S

Splosh

So: Using the Yanmar manual, set timing to 18deg BTDC - nothing. Advance and retard pump - still nothing.

Contact Barrus again and get full engine spec. Original timing is 15deg. Set that, still nothing

Advance fuel pump gear one tooth - fires up first time.

Bloody 3 cylinder engines!

Mick-the-fitter

Mick-the-fitter

It’s what I do!
Probably a little bit out on the timing gear plate, the slotted pump flange bolts it all adds up to near as dam it! But a tooth out👍