Workshop lighting

Regy53

Regy53

I like cake
Hi all

I need to light a 30 x 15 meter shed that has no skylights.

Currently it is lit with 60W led bay lights down one side and the other side not so sure. We get harsh shadows and to be honest its harsh on the eyes.

I have eves of about 5 meters and a center of about 7 meters

I am trying to work out what to do. I bought a couple of lights for the tool end, 300W but they are really white and it just ruins your eyes. I need more lights less power i think

does anybody have any experience. I think i need to get the k's to 4000 rather than 5000 - 6500 as its to harsh. This in itself is a problem as i cant find many.

I was then wondering about perhaps 3 rows of 6 x 6ft 60 w LED battons ( i have 6 bays)

need to do something soon as its horrible

S

Smiffy

I find LEDs cast horrible shadows and are not nice to work under I far prefer traditional lights I find even if they aren't as bright I can see more detail overall as no shadows

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
I think with LED workshop lights you need to dig deep into your pockets and spend good siller to get a good setup. But then it's supposed to pay for itself in lower running cost and longevity. Where as 400w metal halide is cheaper to install and a better light to work in but expensive to run and maintain.

Regy53

Regy53

I like cake
I think with LED workshop lights you need to dig deep into your pockets and spend good siller to get a good setup. But then it's supposed to pay for itself in lower running cost and longevity. Where as 400w metal halide is cheaper to install and a better light to work in but expensive to run and maintain.
my electric is included but i dont want to take the P.... also dont fancy spending thousands on lights :D

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

I’m changing a Lot of fluorescent tubes for hard wired LED units now. And I find the light much better.
they are all in weatherproof fittings though, I also find the weatherproof fittings better in a workshop as the tubes don’t get dusty, the plastic cover is also a diffuser, so the light is spread more I think.
I put twelve up in a stable block for a customer, in a double row of six, either side of the ridge, so the rows are probably 8” apart ish? They are amazing, like daylight! Not a harsh light at all.

hiluxman

hiluxman

Can you not get some warm white leds rather than the cool white. Should be easier on the eyes

pettsy

pettsy

It may also be possible to pickup a few pairs of rose tinted glasses for everyone in the building :cool:

just don’t get whatever they fit in petrol stations....shows up all the imperfections you missed when viewing your potential new purchase at the dealership:LOL:

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
my electric is included but i dont want to take the P.... also dont fancy spending thousands on lights :D
warm white is the LEDs to go for ... t'others are too sharp/harsh ... are you after just general lighting to see to wander about or more specifically, well lit working areas Ross?
my old shop had a row of double 8ft fluorescents on every truss and could select which rows were on .... with a few extras where necessary .... gave a decent level of light to work in .... building was 150 x 60 ft .... long before LEDs

DCP_3805.JPG DCP_3785.JPG DCP_3787.JPG DCP_3799.JPG DCP_3801.JPG

with the cost of LED floods, i'd be tempted to try a row along each wall, on the col.s, at high level facing down to just past centre, which should cover right up to the wall under them and more at the ridge, overhead facing the wall base ... should get lit from just about any angle then ;) (y)

Regy53

Regy53

I like cake
I need to light this up without harsh on your eyes
At the far end where it’s darkest is the workshop corner where we get harsh shadows the lighting that isn’t on is really lame. We need to start again with it all as the leds thst are up are harsh and don’t give of a nice light . The only natural light is the rollers

Attachments

• AD584872-FA3B-4D43-9B92-C1D47814CAA0.jpeg
    AD584872-FA3B-4D43-9B92-C1D47814CAA0.jpeg
    271 KB · Views: 168
  • CFBD62B9-9BB0-4547-A5F1-95E71F6150F3.jpeg
    CFBD62B9-9BB0-4547-A5F1-95E71F6150F3.jpeg
    171.2 KB · Views: 177
  • 189AF742-BD85-49AE-B0BE-B33A93F4F9E3.jpeg
    189AF742-BD85-49AE-B0BE-B33A93F4F9E3.jpeg
    155.5 KB · Views: 191
S

Steve

My theory for lighting a workshop was use low wattage LED floodlights 4 per bay & 3 extra over the bench & over the press as they are cheap to run & having more lighs would be less likely to cast shadows. Reality is I don't have enough light which I think is partly down to the height of the building which is lower than yours so at some point I will need better lights.

V8Druid

V8Druid

I have lots of lights, all daylight white.
so fluorescents then Doob?
think warm white in LEDs is as close as you get to that .... the cool whites are way too harsh ... I'd guess circa 30W floods'd do for what I proposed above ?? 50s burn yer eyeballs !!
My theory for lighting a workshop was use low wattage LED floodlights 4 per bay & 3 extra over the bench & over the press as they are cheap to run & having more lighs would be less likely to cast shadows. Reality is I don't have enough light which I think is partly down to the height of the building which is lower than yours so at some point I will need better lights.
what do you call low wattage @Steve

exactly what I was suggesting .... light from all directions shouldn't put you in shadow

Regy53

Regy53

I like cake
That’s what I’m thinking more lights less power less k in colour.

got to sort this as the lads are moaning and I did afternoon in the workshop the other day and it literally hurt my eyes going into daylight ( eye strain)

doobin

doobin

so fluorescents then Doob?
think warm white in LEDs is as close as you get to that .... the cool whites are way too harsh ... I'd guess circa 30W floods'd do for what I proposed above ?? 50s burn yer eyeballs !!

what do you call low wattage @Steve

exactly what I was suggesting .... light from all directions shouldn't put you in shadow
Nah, I use cool white and love it. Used them for years. I have a small workshop and am still using the site style festoon lighting string that I installed quikly when I first moved in. I've cut the plug off and put a 240v one on, then used 65w compact flourescents at around 5500k- these are referred to in the photography trade as 'daylight'.

As they are pretty low down and well destributed I don't have too much shadow. Floodlights give shadow more easily than an un-reflected bulb.

V8Druid

V8Druid

Nah, I use cool white and love it. Used them for years. I have a small workshop and am still using the site style festoon lighting string that I installed quikly when I first moved in. I've cut the plug off and put a 240v one on, then used 65w compact flourescents at around 5500k- these are referred to in the photography trade as 'daylight'.

As they are pretty low down and well destributed I don't have too much shadow. Floodlights give shadow more easily than an un-reflected bulb.
agreed ... from single directions .... lit from all / multiple directions they over-light any shadowed areas ...... trouble with those compacts is they draw plenty of current and Ross's building is going to be way too high for festoons
those LAP LED 'fluorescent' units I bought and stuck up in me black shed give amazing light ... with the diffusers on they're excellent ... without, they're too bright to look straight at !! ... they're strips of LEDs fitted in the batten cases .... wish I could find some more of 'em

WP_20190309_19_05_52_Pro.jpg

WP_20190309_19_05_57_Pro.jpg

WP_20190309_19_06_28_Pro.jpg

WP_20190310_17_10_26_Pro.jpg

drive units
WP_20190313_14_17_48_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
Stubota86

Stubota86

Personally if you want to maintain the full roof height then I’d be looking at High bay fittings

Failing that just LED battens but dropped down on tray work to approx the eaves height would be my thoughts

D

DaveDCB

I have 6 LED low bay panels in my 18m x 14m shed, they cast no shadows, can see right into the corners no problem. So bright you can’t look up when they are all switched on... can’t remember the make and I don’t fancy getting up into the roof to have a look!

Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

I love LED Strips like Druid.
Just fitted a few:
1 over a little lathe:
20200111_144136.jpg

And a few in 40ft highcube box:
20200111_134956.jpg

Brilliant light if you can get them down low enough?