Workshop, Barn, Container Storage

R

rossandson

Afternoon all,

I’m in the process of trying to work out what is the best way forward for a little workshop/barn etc to store kit in, bit of dry maintenance etc.

Having never built a steel framed building before I can’t imagine there’s too much to it but the costs do vary a lot.

Other ideas I’ve had is a timber barn with steel sheets, use utility/telegraph poles for uprights etc.

or lastly a container barn. 2 containers with a self build roof between or a pre made canopy type.

Many thoughts, experience plus obviously I’m trying not to spend a fortune (or work out how much I need to save!)
F9862935-791F-4DEB-960A-A3C0313C00E0.jpeg

craig

craig

Steel frame quick and easy.
Telegraph poles, slight taper in them, so if you`ve got a keen eye, or a bit OCD, getting them to look right and plumb can be a bit more work.
A roof over containers has the advantage of stopping condensation on the inside of the box.
Your roof can be surprisingly expensive.

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Steel frame quick and easy.
Telegraph poles, slight taper in them, so if you`ve got a keen eye, or a bit OCD, getting them to look right and plumb can be a bit more work.
A roof over containers has the advantage of stopping condensation on the inside of the box.
Your roof can be surprisingly expensive.
eye wateringly so :oops:-- cladding profile's gone up dramatically too, in line with steel section .... as has Bigsix :( in line with all building materials :cry: planning's the biggest head ache of all :mad:

R

rossandson

Or something like this.

I do have the advantage I have access to free lorry curtains quite often so have thought they might work for roofing for a temp measure if funding is tight.

like idea of the containers as you create a few secure areas not just one large shed/barn.

Planning, what’s that? 🤣

67AD7963-9C68-4B9C-ADEC-CCC609391675.jpeg
FC4DEB1B-008B-49A5-916C-01B23816661F.jpeg

Bob

Bob

Theres not to much in a building steel frame building as long as it has been set out right I have built a few.But I retired from big jobs 10 years ago last one me and mate done Think at the time frame was £35,000 plus cladding plus rollar doors plus concreate plus electics plus foundations plus

Attachments

• DSC00267.jpg
    DSC00267.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 165
  • DSC00280.jpg
    DSC00280.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 149
  • DSC00284 3.jpg
    DSC00284 3.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 168
R

rossandson

Theres not to much in a building steel frame building as long as it has been set out right I have built a few.But I retired from big jobs 10 years ago last one me and mate done Think at the time frame was £35,000 plus cladding plus rollar doors plus concreate plus electics plus foundations plus
Yeah as much as it’s an investment. The prices are a little steep for me right now. So trying to think of an alternative. Or perhaps smaller and extend.

I’ve been keeping an eye out for a second hand steel frame. But as it’s been said, box sheet etc isn’t getting any cheaper and soon quickly adds up.

R

rossandson

We put up a tent structure earlier this year, or was it last year 🤔 anyhoo it's been really handy plus if planning is an issue it's just a temporary structure 😬
View attachment 30798
I do like this idea. Quick and simple. I’d have to do with 20ft’s as can’t get a 40ft there. Too narrow for 44T wagon. 8 wheeler max really.

Containers have rocketed in price though. 🙄

craig

craig

I do like this idea. Quick and simple. I’d have to do with 20ft’s as can’t get a 40ft there. Too narrow for 44T wagon. 8 wheeler max really.

All max weight trucks will be the same width, a lot a container places running arctics now use rear steer trailers, and end up more maneuverable than a rigid. Worth a call to a container place if you can site 40ft`s and they would suit you better.

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
All max weight trucks will be the same width, a lot a container places running arctics now use rear steer trailers, and end up more maneuverable than a rigid. Worth a call to a container place if you can site 40ft`s and they would suit you better.

or do what I did and put 'em on short trailer(s) ... allowed 10ft beyond arse of trailer ..... I used a 28ft trailer to negotiate a very tight swing into our lane and our driveway, but they didn't come far from my yard :rolleyes:;)
2014-05-03 08.17.19.jpg IMG_5511.jpg IMG_5513.jpg IMG_5522.jpg IMG_5454.jpg

M

mart1602

containers around 3k each now so that wont be a cheap shed,i just put up a 20x36 timber frame and cheap box profile(different colours one side) for under 2k .local guy buying loads of spruce and cutting up with a woodmizer mill,8x8 posts ,9x4 raffters ,6x3 perlllings and plenty of old style coal tar creosote

Vinpetrol

Vinpetrol

Nice duck

R

rossandson

It’s the bends in the lane unfortunately. I’ve previously run lorries. 😉