When can we work

Storrsy

Storrsy

Put your prices up. 10% isn't even covering inflation ATM ...in your neck of the woods folk seem to have money to burn...cannot get over quantity of millionaire+ pads around Guildford liphook etc.
Thinking id sooner earn less than work for twats- I do find working in a very rural area there seems to be more understanding about the realities of jobs. Tend to think those who have got so used to having everything on tap and to hand when they want it have lost a sense of reality.

William127

William127

See, this would suit me fine, and was kind of how I was working. Then 2020 came around and I haven't had a spare day let alone week since! Its a nice problem to have, and maybe at my time in life and with a large mortgage to pay I should be grateful for being busy. But I feel like I'm running out of steam now and am fed up with people expecting me to work around them and give up my evenings and weekends to make their schedule work. Its not how the jobs start out, but somewhere between starting and ending, a load of extras appear or "can you just's"/ "While you're at it" and these add time to the job, which removes any spare time I have planned between finishing one and starting the next. I was allowing a week between projects but its just getting absorbed with more work. Then the next customer is on the phone getting aggy because you are delayed from the date you gave them 6 months ago as a predicted start date!
Getting really near the point of sacking it all off again and finding some other way to earn money - I've honestly had enough of feeling under pressure and being hounded on the phone as to where I am and why haven't I looked at/ priced/ turned up at/ worked miracle's on some job or another. The one man army thing has worked well for me and is very profitable no doubt, but its literally killing me, you cant do everything at the same speed bigger companies can for ever.
Someone suggested getting a PA to help with paperwork, phone calls, diary planning etc. Anyone else do this? I need to find an answer before I blow up and tell everyone to do one... again!
I know exactly what you mean about the 2020 onwards non stop thing! Pretty sure I could have worked 10 days every week the last 3 years. At least 4 or 5 times I've said to my mates who needed to book me, labour only, 'just book the days and tell me when, someone's going to be disappointed whatever days I'm not there no mater what I do!'.
I know I've turned down, not quoted or passed on several jobs that would have been great to do but there's only so much time in a month.
Basically I think it boils down to - got a load on, problems and worries, not got a load on, problems and worries!!!

And it's always the smallest job/tightest customers who demand the most attention...

William127

William127

Something's not right there. Sounds like you have some rather unaccommodating customers but perhaps also fallen into the classic self employed trap of taking on too much and not saying no enough? I've taken on a job (the one I'm on now) which will last a straight 5 months, sounds great and it's a nice enough job but I've had to turn away probably about 6 months worth of work because I'm now booking well into next summer and enough is enough. What I've learnt from this is that as a sole operator the massive jobs are actually counter productive due to the number of other customers I have to let down. I think jobs lasting between a week and a fortnight are my sweet spot, it means I'm not having to look at loads of jobs to fill the diary and moving kit around all the time but at the same time feel like I can keep quite a lot of customers happy this way...
About a week per job would suit me down to the ground. Or maybe a week long job, followed by a week of small stuff, followed by a week long etc etc

Storrsy

Storrsy

Don't forget how crap some of the competition is either. It's easy to always want to be a pleaser but reality is there isn't always a viable alternative, decent competition will be having the same issues as you trying to fit everything in, people are generally prepared to wait if they know you and standards of service etc, and if they're not then sod 'em! How many stories do we hear of contractors never ringing back, not turning up, doing s**t work and worse. Have faith in what your good at and the work will still come in even if your not always at their beck and call

6feetdown

This is what I'm feeling also, except for sacking it all in. We have a family business, my old folks my uncle my sister all work at the business but still find I get drowned with the workload. We have about 1.5 times our yearly turnover in orders going forward, some of it it overdue and some is customers getting their orders in early so they are on the list. My fear is we have lots to get on with but not enough guys getting it done and struggling to find any that are keen to crack on with it. I'd like to work less and everyone get paid more and have it easier but who will do the work 🤷‍♂️
There lies the problem decent people who you can trust few and far between

JerryRtilt

JerryRtilt

Thinking id sooner earn less than work for twats- I do find working in a very rural area there seems to be more understanding about the realities of jobs. Tend to think those who have got so used to having everything on tap and to hand when they want it have lost a sense of reality.
Understanding of reality of anything in the overpopulated south east is rapidly disappearing I fear, most of the inmates live in a kind of cyberworld where Amazon delivers in twenty minutes and anything that conveniences them has to be complained about, just getting to and from work has become a challenge, getting anything done without offending someone seems even harder sometimes.
I'm a country bumpkin at heart and there ain't much country left.

CPS

CPS

See, this would suit me fine, and was kind of how I was working. Then 2020 came around and I haven't had a spare day let alone week since! Its a nice problem to have, and maybe at my time in life and with a large mortgage to pay I should be grateful for being busy. But I feel like I'm running out of steam now and am fed up with people expecting me to work around them and give up my evenings and weekends to make their schedule work. Its not how the jobs start out, but somewhere between starting and ending, a load of extras appear or "can you just's"/ "While you're at it" and these add time to the job, which removes any spare time I have planned between finishing one and starting the next. I was allowing a week between projects but its just getting absorbed with more work. Then the next customer is on the phone getting aggy because you are delayed from the date you gave them 6 months ago as a predicted start date!
Getting really near the point of sacking it all off again and finding some other way to earn money - I've honestly had enough of feeling under pressure and being hounded on the phone as to where I am and why haven't I looked at/ priced/ turned up at/ worked miracle's on some job or another. The one man army thing has worked well for me and is very profitable no doubt, but its literally killing me, you cant do everything at the same speed bigger companies can for ever.
Someone suggested getting a PA to help with paperwork, phone calls, diary planning etc. Anyone else do this? I need to find an answer before I blow up and tell everyone to do one... again!
That's a post I could almost right myself word for word.
I have got to the point of doing the same😆 said to a mate earlier that I could easily walk away from the plant game completely some days.

But then plant is all I know and do enjoy it most days........ guess your just like me and need a holiday 🙂
Should we book one and not tell the other halves 😆😆

hiluxman

hiluxman

Understanding of reality of anything in the overpopulated south east is rapidly disappearing I fear, most of the inmates live in a kind of cyberworld where Amazon delivers in twenty minutes and anything that conveniences them has to be complained about, just getting to and from work has become a challenge, getting anything done without offending someone seems even harder sometimes.
I'm a country bumpkin at heart and there ain't much country left.
You get immune. I looked at a job Sunday and apparently I'm getting a ticket for parking on grass verge according to neighbour. Then the people at the house a day later are texting me saying have I sorted a price out when I clearly said give me a week.

Used to bother me, I now just take longer in replying. If they can't be bothered to listen to what your telling them then I can't be bothered to spend extra hours pricing it up.

Ps. I worked Sunday because I had Saturday off and a few extra early finishes in the week.

Last edited:
Furniss

Furniss

Its hard to
You get immune. I looked at a job Sunday and apparently I'm getting a ticket for parking on grass verge according to neighbour. Then the people at the house are texting me saying have I sorted a price out when I clearly said give me a week.

Used to bother me, I now just take longer in replying. If they can't be bothered to listen to what your telling them then I can't be bothered to spend extra hours pricing it up.

Ps. I worked Sunday because I had Saturday off and a few extra early finishes in the week.
If you finish at 3pm everyday then theres no excuse for a paperwork backlog, pull your finger out !

Furniss

Furniss

There's no backlog. What I'm getting at is the impatience of people. You tell them you will sort it by x date but a day later they are asking if you've done it yet...they simply don't listen to what you tell them.
Yes or you tell them they will have to wait a few months which they say is fine...then start emailing 3 weeks later 😀

hiluxman

hiluxman

Yes or you tell them they will have to wait a few months which they say is fine...then start emailing 3 weeks later 😀
I'm sure we all have many stories like that. I'm sure they just blank out the important bits your telling them and expect a job done instantly with no mess.

JerryRtilt

JerryRtilt

That's a post I could almost right myself word for word.
I have got to the point of doing the same😆 said to a mate earlier that I could easily walk away from the plant game completely some days.

But then plant is all I know and do enjoy it most days........ guess your just like me and need a holiday 🙂
Should we book one and not tell the other halves 😆😆
Try and find a plant show to visit :LOL: (y)

hiluxman

hiluxman

Its hard to

If you finish at 3pm everyday then theres no excuse for a paperwork backlog, pull your finger out !
I know it's all jovial.

But I say the digger tracks to the trailer at 3pm. That's not finished for the day. I've had that argument with builders for years. I say what do you do when you leave site...go home is the usual answer (or gym or whatever). Yeah I don't, I take this lot back, diesel up get everything ready for tomorrow's jobs, so that I can be on next man's job at a reasonable time, otherwise they are on phone asking where you are at 8.30, just like you would be.

C

charlie2

anyone on PAYE / not self employed
last twenty year of my working life i was paye because the revenue was cracking down on self employed working for same firm etc. guy i worked for wanted me to stay but cards in for same rate. and same hours i generally did 6 full days probably all at least 10 hours often more nowhere near 20 quid an hour though, my dad used to tell me work to live not live to work, but that took a long time to sink in for me though.